Help find an alternative to my Gixer!

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
Ricalnic

Re: Help find an alternative to my Gixer!

Post by Ricalnic »

KLIM Badlands or Latitude work for me, and TCX Infinity Goretex boots, the boots are comfy, and 100% waterproof as you would expect.
Helmets....well that’s another thread to itself....LOL

Great choice on bike BTW, well done
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I use my Klim Badlands for day rides especially in cooler weather.
However, it's very heavy and although it's well vented and has decent air-flow through it whilst you're riding at a decent pace, you'll overheat wearing it if you want to have a look around at something off the bike whilst you're travelling in warm weather. Also if you're travelling slowly in the heat....in a city or negotiating a tricky trail those vents won't help much.
It's so bulky and inflexible that it's difficult to store if you want to take the jacket off and store it securely whilst you're off the bike doing touristy things.
On a multi-day trip, say into Southern Europe starting from the U.K. I'd sooner use a lighter jacket and layer-up/layer-down as appropriate to the daily conditions.
Hopper1

Post by Hopper1 »

SteveW wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:10 am I use my Klim Badlands for day rides especially in cooler weather.
However, it's very heavy and although it's well vented and has decent air-flow through it whilst you're riding at a decent pace, you'll overheat wearing it if you want to have a look around at something off the bike whilst you're travelling in warm weather. Also if you're travelling slowly in the heat....in a city or negotiating a tricky trail those vents won't help much.
It's so bulky and inflexible that it's difficult to store if you want to take the jacket off and store it securely whilst you're off the bike doing touristy things.
On a multi-day trip, say into Southern Europe starting from the U.K. I'd sooner use a lighter jacket and layer-up/layer-down as appropriate to the daily conditions.
What do you wear for lightweight kit?
I appreciate that all kit will be a compromise of sorts... I'm guessing most of my riding will be in the UK, but I don't rule out occasional European travel, nor odd offroad skirmishes, so I'll be asking a lot of my kit, and accept there are limits.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

If your budget is healthy you'll find pretty much all options within the Klim range....Leatt do some good armour.
Gaz at Adventure Bike Warehouse would be useful to talk to about options.
Just a base layer with motocross-style armour in the heat.......layer up and top-off with lighter waterproof jacket for cooler damper weather.....
IMG_1433.JPG
IMG_1433.JPG (221.45 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
IMG_1381.JPG
IMG_1381.JPG (181.32 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
I take the armour out of the jacket (I've got armour on under it) so I can pack the jacket on the bike when not needed.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Hmm bike kit.....I'm in the process of getting rid of a cupboard full.

Boots I have 2 pairs (3 including the ones i bought wrong size :oops: ) Altberg Hoggs for day to day commuting / wandering & a pair of MX boots for when I feel protection is required. I'd rather have 2 pairs than one poor at either.

I bought an Alpinestars mesh jacket off here early last year, thought I would never get any wear from it, how wrong was I! I wore that until the beginning of October, with a lightweight puffer for when the sun went in or late evening, waterproof for the occasional downpour.

I have a Rukka armaxis for the winter but like the Badlands it is very heavy & come spring will be back to the mesh & layering
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Hopper1

Post by Hopper1 »

SteveW wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:11 am If your budget is healthy you'll find pretty much all options within the Klim range....Leatt do some good armour.
Gaz at Adventure Bike Warehouse would be useful to talk to about options.
Just a base layer with motocross-style armour in the heat.......layer up and top-off with lighter waterproof jacket for cooler damper weather.....
IMG_1433.JPGIMG_1381.JPG
I take the armour out of the jacket (I've got armour on under it) so I can pack the jacket on the bike when not needed.
Cheers, Steve... As it happens, I have been talking to Gaz, two or three times, thus far, as I live close to Acton (handy)...
I have a Dainese mesh top, with full qrmour, from my snowboarding days, which is the same kit as bikers wear.
I like the Klim range, preferring it over the triple layer stuff.
I believe Revit do some laminate, too, but it's not GoreTex Pro, and guarantee is much shorter...
Jayrob

Post by Jayrob »

I stepped off a gixer k5 1000, what a beast
About 10 years ago .
Tried all sorts of adventure bikes
The only one that put a smile on my face was a 990 2006
Very exciting , i dont know how the new ones are like to ride.
Bought it for one trip to Morocco and then did another trip
Nearly 60k on the clock ,one dropped valve,one ECU,and one clutch on Plage Blanche .
Still running strong.
And sits next to my 525exc
But the best thing is to try all makes and pick the one that puts a smile on your face pal

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”