GPX editing

Bikers and riding
herman

GPX editing

Post by herman »

What program do you use? I mainly want to edit and erase parts of some tracks . Ease of use is of paramount importance. :roll:
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
WillS

Re: GPX editing

Post by WillS »

For all mapping, creating and editing routes (gpx) I use BaseCamp.
Some don't like it, but once you are used to it it works well, and it's free.
I am sure many will give alternative options, and plenty of negative views on BaseCamp.
You just need to work with it. It gets better / easier over time.
herman

Post by herman »

Ta muchly, I use basecamp mainly for transferring and storing but I cannot erase part of a track with it , or not my version anyway . The last time I updated it kindly wiped out years of files so I am leaving what I have well alone now .
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
fatowl

Post by fatowl »

Try mapsource. You can select the track and delete points in it.

You can also edit routes if required.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

I use bikehike.co.uk/course creator
I use viewranger too but do not like the automatic route generator. With bike hike you can click and edit individual points the save it as a track or route straight to the basecamp files.
Cone

Post by Cone »

herman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:39 pm Ta muchly, I use basecamp mainly for transferring and storing but I cannot erase part of a track with it , or not my version anyway . The last time I updated it kindly wiped out years of files so I am leaving what I have well alone now .

Right click on the track and split it where you don’t want it then delete the bit you don’t want. Rename the bit you do want. That’s how I do it simples
WillS

Post by WillS »

herman wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:39 pm Ta muchly, I use basecamp mainly for transferring and storing but I cannot erase part of a track with it , or not my version anyway . The last time I updated it kindly wiped out years of files so I am leaving what I have well alone now .
You can download the new and older version of BaseCamp from Garmin.
Always use the backup regularly onto a spare disk. I used it recently when the PC crashed with Win 10 upgrade, lost everything that wasn't backed up!!
Before changing / editing a gpx file, I always make a copy and change that one, leaving the original if needed again.
Good luck.
simonw

Post by simonw »

I use https://www.myrouteapp.com, mostly. Very easy to use, and share with friends etc.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

look at GPX Editor use it quite a bit myself. Interested in the problem you had with BC if I lost my files from it I would be more than a little peeved. Someone recommended to me once if your GPS unit is working well enough for you stay away from the updates maps or otherwise so have done and the same with the BC software actually safer? I dont know. I feel your pain.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Basecamp works well...load the track into pc then chose either split track or the rubber and delete waypoints you dont need....

If you want some help just ask and ill pop over when its convenient :lol: ...

Always have a copy of original track saved :o ...and make sure the relevent map is open.

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”