EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Cone

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Cone »

garyboy wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:05 pm Will Andy give tennis the elbow
Less of this Brexit but thank god Murray has gone. Give him the prize for being the most boring sportsman on the face of this earth..

It may get worse, he may become a commentator!! :shock:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Ah, the great British sports hero dilemma.

Do you train hard, and grind out the victories knowing you will be seen a 'dull' world champ...or do you go all rock and roll and fill the pages of the tabloids?

Anyone remember Graham Noyce...GB's world MX champ?

Lived life 'to the full' shall we say...but only world champ once.

Then there was Dave Thorpe...I lost count of how many world championships he won. but there was never the fire there that you got with Noyce. Head down, elbows up, never looking back and never backing off. Back end of the bike all over the place (twinshock Maico or Red Rocket Honda), compared to Thorpe who would reel off lap after identical lap on a Prolink Honda that looked pretty much planted all the time.

When twinshock MX first became a thing, my brother got his old Maico out of the shed and did a few races. One of the first we went too, and blow me there was Noyce pulling his old HRC Red Rocket out of a van like its 1979 or something.

I went to watch practice, on this old-school type scrambles track, which was just tapes and posts in a lush grazing field still littered with cow pats. Springtime, early morning and soaking with dew.

And here comes Noyce, on his sighting lap, 'taking it steady'. Tips into a flat corner, no berm, no rut, no bare earth, just wet lush vegetation, and he's got the Red Rocket so far over the lefthand bar is buried in the grass.

Blimey....!

So that's how a world champ rides.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Cone wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm
Less of this Brexit but thank god Murray has gone. Give him the prize for being the most boring sportsman on the face of this earth..

He'll get his hip op done, and then do Strictly!
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

I guess he'll do adverts for mints...
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

I just popped back and read the first few pages of this thread to see how we were all feeling pre referendum. It's amazing how far we haven't come. I wonder if we all knew back then how this would play out what we might have done differently.

Looks like another exciting week in parliament coming up!
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
🇬🇧🇫🇷🇧🇪🇱🇺🇪🇸🇬🇷🇩🇪
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Last edited by garyboy on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

For the diversion...
I’d rather have dull but brilliant sportspersons. Why do you have to be a matinee idol to be good at sport, or anything, for that matter.
Might make the media stop filling us with repetitive drivel.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:18 pm Ah, the great British sports hero dilemma.

Do you train hard, and grind out the victories knowing you will be seen a 'dull' world champ...or do you go all rock and roll and fill the pages of the tabloids?

Anyone remember Graham Noyce...GB's world MX champ?

Lived life 'to the full' shall we say...but only world champ once.

Then there was Dave Thorpe...I lost count of how many world championships he won. but there was never the fire there that you got with Noyce. Head down, elbows up, never looking back and never backing off. Back end of the bike all over the place (twinshock Maico or Red Rocket Honda), compared to Thorpe who would reel off lap after identical lap on a Prolink Honda that looked pretty much planted all the time.

When twinshock MX first became a thing, my brother got his old Maico out of the shed and did a few races. One of the first we went too, and blow me there was Noyce pulling his old HRC Red Rocket out of a van like its 1979 or something.

I went to watch practice, on this old-school type scrambles track, which was just tapes and posts in a lush grazing field still littered with cow pats. Springtime, early morning and soaking with dew.

And here comes Noyce, on his sighting lap, 'taking it steady'. Tips into a flat corner, no berm, no rut, no bare earth, just wet lush vegetation, and he's got the Red Rocket so far over the lefthand bar is buried in the grass.

Blimey....!

So that's how a world champ rides.
Thorpey won 3 World 500cc titles

However, 'Rolls' Noyce just won the one.................but he was a special rider, the Sheene or Hunt of the dirtbike world
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Cone

Post by Cone »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:20 pm
Cone wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:16 pm

He'll get his hip op done, and then do Strictly!
‘‘Tis the way of the world
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

According to a report I read today, of the 52% who voted for brexit, 65% of those only voted for brexit to stop immigration. Knowing that immigration wouldn't be affected by Brexit, that means only 18.2% want to leave for other reasons, meaning 81.8% want to stay as we are.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7

Return to “THE PUB”