EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Jak*

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by Jak* »

I think that might not have been disappointed with us leaving, they may however have been disappointed with the chaos and poverty that ensued.
Cheers Jak
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Most of the chaos is coming from Remain politicians deliberately trying to shaft Brexit by any means possible.
A Remainer should never have been allowed to negotiate either but, in hindsight, TM becoming PM was possibly part of the plan. Who knows?

If the MPs acted as voted by their electorate rather than their own political interests we could have had this done and dusted ages ago.

We have been massively let down by our representatives and, although my MP has honourably supported Brexit despite being a Remainer, some/a lot of them may need to look over their shoulders at the next election.

But, for goodness sake, don’t let that nutter Corbyn or his cronies get any power whatsoever. :(
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Pint Master wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:54 pm
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:21 pm The EU is an international organisation. Both it and its member states are bound by rules.

The Uk decided to leave. The rest of the EU agreed. May and the EU Have come to an agreement that allows the UK to leave in accordance with those rules.

Those who wanted us to leave are now upset by this. They expected something different.

They have been disappointed.

Anyone with any sense could have told them this would happen.
I don't believe the average leave voter would have been disappointed if we just left, the disappoint has arisen from the certain factions and the civil service stopping us from leaving insisting that we had to have a deal.

I genuinely don't think it was possible to 'just leave' in the two-year timeframe...

'Just leave' would mean hard borders all around the UK: for a start this would put the UK in breach of the internationally-recognised Anglo-Irish agreement. The UK also has considerable investment in various EU projects, and some of those projects are UK-based.

We could possibly 'just leave' over about 10 years...but anything less is a tall order. Just getting the physical infrastructure in place, recruiting customs officers, shipping agents, drawing up agreements to cover air, land and sea transport of freight and people. All things that the UK plc has little idea of how to do.

In any case, the idea that we might 'just leave' was treated as nonsense by leading 'Leave' campaigners, who seemed to think that the UK could negotiate individual trading deals with (for example) France, Germany and Italy in the 2-year window...apparently not realising that this would require those nations to leave the EU too.

David Davies said he wouldn't bother going to Brussels, but go straight to Berlin and cut a deal. 'The easiest deal in history'...was that what he said?

Which I'm afraid just exposed his ignorance about the way the world works. And he was one of the leading lights of Brexit.

About 48 % of UK exports go to the EU. About 8 % of the EU 27's exports come to the UK. We need them as trading partners far more than they need us. And that's a fact which is lost on the rapidly diminishing number of vote leavers who don't realise what a mistake they've made.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Of course just leaving would had been difficult but if the day after the referendum we hard started to put in place the infrastructure needed for a No deal the chances are a sensible trade deal would almost certainly been reached but by making no preparations for a no deal we gave our position away and were immediately over a barrel.
Richard Simpson Mark II

But, pre-referendum, were any of the Leave camp seriously suggesting a 'just leave' option?

JRM, Gove, Boris etc were all suggesting that we would retain access to the ESM: and doing that requires a 'Norway' deal. We've had 2 years, and got a deal that many would argue is better than Norway's. The only real sticking-point is the Irish border, and the obvious solution to that is wave bye-bye to Northern Ireland, which has been maintained as 'British' at considerable cost in blood and treasure for little material gain for the rest of the UK.

It would then be up to the people of the Six Counties as to whether they wanted to be an independent state, or part of a united Ireland and the EU. The days when the Irish Republic was ruled indirectly from Rome are long over, so I can't see that there would be any overwhelming reason for Ulster to continue to say 'no' to Irish unity. It's not as though Ulster has the same laws as the rest of the UK, or even has British political parties in operation there.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Although I would tend to agree with you Richard, I cannot see that going down well with the DUP or the Conservative party. It would also lead to further, probably irresistible calls for a second Scottish independence referendum and when the Welsh realise how much Euro funding they stand to lose they may jump on the band wagon.
I do not think that NI is the only stumbling block, everyday there seems to be another little problem that no one thought of. The whole thing is a mess that has already cost a fortune and unfortunately no one will ever be held accountable.
Cheers Jak
Richard Simpson Mark II

I fully expect that a consequence of a 'no deal' Brexit, were it to happen, would be independence for the Kingdom of Scotland and the collapse of the United Kingdom.

UK membership of the EU was instrumental in Scotland's vote to remain in the UK.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Last edited by garyboy on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:22 pm I fully expect that a consequence of a 'no deal' Brexit, were it to happen, would be independence for the Kingdom of Scotland and the collapse of the United Kingdom.

UK membership of the EU was instrumental in Scotland's vote to remain in the UK.
it has been said that the EU wouldn't take Scotland on its own as a member ,they would be a bit light with the coffers
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Last edited by garyboy on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “THE PUB”