EDC 2018 Maroc Africa, Ride Report.

Where you've been and what you done
WIBO

Re: EDC 2018 Maroc Africa, Ride Report.

Post by WIBO »

The next day after checking the weather it's decided to head back to Europe and cut the least couple of days short.....it'll be hosing down big time over the next few days and we'll get a weather window to get back up to through Spain. We have breakfast opposite the hotel, fuel up and off we ride.....in the rain.

It'll be a long, 515km wet day to get to Tanger Med port but again, the benefit of winging it means we can bend and adapt to whatever presents itself.

Fuel on the road north out of the town on the Route National N8 ...no need to hunt for it in the busy town centre.

Fuel here

N 32° 57.441'
W 005° 39.879'

If empty there's another one a few minutes ride on your LHS.

The tolls for this stretch will amount to 138MAD.......about €13.

We arrive after a few stops at the hotel at Tanger Med and at......

N 35° 51.608'

W 005° 31.869'

They'll serve dinner for us too: ideal after a very long day.

The next morning we'll get up in mild weather and get the boat back to Europe approx €60 one way. Turn up and go to the booth of whatever company is leaving sooner...ignore people wanting to lead you elsewhere.

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

We dock at Algeciras after installing winter liners into our kit. We'll head for Madrid and then on to stay at my house in France as we're now early with the timings for the ferry at Santander.

Just outside Algeciras at Junction 12 there's fuel, McDonalds, Burger King, ATM's and a supermarket.

As we eat the rain is torrential and it's cold enough.....We kit up more and eat at McDonalds here....( I think there's one just before this one but without supermarket and ATM's close by )

N 36° 10.930'

W 005° 26.393'

By the time we've finished it's stopped raining luckily.

With the first stretch of autoroute at Estepona it"s worth paying the tolls to move faster to Malaga, failing that you'll really loose time by taking the always busy coast road, the A7.

Tolls to Malaga will be €9.75...well worth it. It'll be free thereafter.

Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

We ride on in the dry with chasing black clouds to our north. The slowest moto is leading at 90-100kph full throttle.

When stopping for fuel and to change from summer gloves back to winter gloves I notice the chain slopping on the BMW when selecting first gear.

After pulling over after fuelling up a chain adjust is required.

Sprocket is OK

Chain is not so good........it's also missing ra good few rollers . There is no makers name stamped on the exterior links. We'll need to limp along...there'll be nowhere open to replace as it's late Saturday......Sunday will be closed. I have an old one hanging in my workshop for later if it's the correct length.

Last edited by WIBO on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

We ride to Bailen still in the dry and where we find an hotel for €20....outside parking and we'll dine there that evening too.

Hotel here and not far off the autoroute

N 38° 05.907'

W 003° 45.955'

Spain still has the odd 1982 decor in their hotels...... :lol:

This is more funny to look at when you're pished I must say.

All sorts for sale...... :lol:

Last edited by WIBO on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

The next leg of the ride will be to head to Madrid and take the 'M25' equal as it were.....easy to follow the signs for Zaragoza and 'Other Directions' ......... it involves one right slip off turn only...........so don't be shy in riding this route north via Madrid.

We ride towards the centre and it's too late to scoot ahead to direct the CRF and BMW to take that same right turn.....baaaaaaa.

The DR and I peel off with no option but to carry on along the busy route. We'll wait later on for half an hour at a fuel stop to no avail.

We head on direction Zaragoza knowing the CRF and BMW will have to come our way. Later on whilst on a break we see them scoot on past. We catch up and continue to La Almunia de Doña Godina where we find an excellent, clean hotel opposite a fuel station. The evening meal here is excellent too as is breakfast.

Hotel La Bodega, €24 B&B....meal €16 and secure locked parking. Will use again.

N 41° 28.967'
W 001° 22.813'

( If we had time we'd get to Zaragoza where I'd aim for the excellent Hotel Sauce with secure parking just along the street. City centre and close to an excellent pizzeria )
Will It Buff Out?
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

The next day will see us getting home.........still with dry and sunny weather. We arrive in France with enough time to come via the scenic route over by Col d'Aubisque and on down home by Col du Soulor.

We ride up above the clouds in perfect conditions to finish off our Maroc ride out..........

The next day by coincidence I have a chain that is the right length to fit to the BMW. The old chain is missing so many rollers by this stage that it probably would not get much further.
Last edited by WIBO on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will It Buff Out?
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Great report Keith, keep it coming :D
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Once the dust has settled I rode 5152kms round trip and spent about €260 on petrol for the old girl and about €120 for the ferries.

Great bunch of riders who slotted right into banter and ridiculing each other along with winging it.

If any other riders want to add any pictures or anything else by all means feel free to fire ahead.

Thanks chaps and continue to ride safe.

:D

Will It Buff Out?
chubbyhooker

Post by chubbyhooker »

Cheers Keith it was a pleasure to tag along , your chain is still on the BMW I’ve only ridden it a few miles since new chain & sprockets on order soon great bunch of guys to get to know as well 👍👍👍
SteveRST

Post by SteveRST »

Thanks Keith for the ride report! Seems like ages ago. Oh, I do need another adventure!

I've put together a 5 minute video from my helmet camera footage.

EDC Morocco 2018...
https://youtu.be/BZfMic2HLQc

Steve

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”