EU. In or out?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
AlanHolt

Re: EU. In or out?

Post by AlanHolt »

The referendum was only to gauge opinion, hence why it's taken so long to try and sort anything out. Leaving wasn't planned, otherwise the run up to the referendum would have been full off if we stay and if we leave scenarios, including the costs of both.

Now everyone knows the implications, and that the result of the vote will be executed, turnout for a 2nd referendum will be higher, and it needs to be. Only 37% of the whole population want to leave. We should follow Canada's example, where they require 80% in favour for any major constitutional change. That way, you in unequivocally state that it is what the majority of the people wanted.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

Leaving wasn’t planned because Cameron never contemplated anything other than Remain.

In which case, under current legislation, we leave as leaving is now in our laws.
A new vote would never get 80% to stay so where does that leave you? In fact, in this country, nothing would ever happen if an 80% vote was needed. We are too diverse.
A bit like Proportional Representation being the worst of all worlds where you din’t grt local representation and perpetual stagnant coalitions with infighting (witness the Con/Lib Dem and Con/DUP in recent times.

What would be better would be compulsory voting as in Australia but with ‘None of the above’ as an option.
I don’t recall anything official about it being purely advisory or they could have easily said the result was too close for a definitive action and I suspect that would have generally been accepted.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

In the case of brexit, basically you got your chance to shine, you cocked it up, and now you blame everybody else for your own inadequacy. Immature, irresponsible and ultimately unpatriotic. The tragedy will be if the worst version happens regardless, simply because the clock runs out.
[/quote]

No we never got the chance to shine the organisation was left to people who didn't want it to happen if Farage had been involved it would have been done and dusted.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Now everyone knows the implications, and that the result of the vote will be executed, turnout for a 2nd referendum will be higher, and it needs to be. Only 37% of the whole population want to leave. We should follow Canada's example, where they require 80% in favour for any major constitutional change. That way, you in unequivocally state that it is what the majority of the people wanted.

[/quote]

Maybe we wouldn't have stayed in then in 1975.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Only 37% of the whole population want to leave
Blimey, Maths and comprehension of statistics passed you by didnt it.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

As someone who voted Remain I am deeply concerned about the future. I guess for me an ideal situation would be another referendum with some clear options and a clear choice of what a deal or no deal really looks like. I think if I had voted leave I would be seriously dischuffed, not with the EU because they have pretty much stuck to their guns, not with those who voted Remain because their stance has not changed, but with those who campaigned to leave. The deal on the table seems like a botched compromise and still fails to address some serious issues. The no deal situation is even less clear. Some on that side say there is a list of countries willing to trade with us be aren’t clear what the terms of that trade would be. The terms of trade with the EU have not been clarified and none of them has come up with a solution to the problem that the farming, food processing, care, the nhs and many other industries will faced if we can no longer have cheap migrant workers from the EU. How are they going to encourage our unemployed to take up these jobs without significant wage rises and the impact on inflation? We could of course look for unskilled and semi skilled workers from elsewhere in the world, but it seems less likely that they would return home when they had made enough money as a lot of the East Europeans do.
I would love to see Farage’s complete plan to sort out the mess he helped create, unfortunately after two and a half years he does not seem to have produced one.
Leave or Remain to be quite honest I am much more concerned about the state of the country. The systematic destruction of public services and nine years of unnecessary and social dividing austerity have left the country in a crisis for which the EU is not to blame. Of course the money wasted on Brexit so far could have gone a long way the offset the damage.
Cheers Jak
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

HedgeHopper wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:09 am
Not at all, 52% of voters voted to leave the EU, but that was only 37% of the population.

Can you see the difference?
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The EU is an international organisation. Both it and its member states are bound by rules.

The Uk decided to leave. The rest of the EU agreed. May and the EU Have come to an agreement that allows the UK to leave in accordance with those rules.

Those who wanted us to leave are now upset by this. They expected something different.

They have been disappointed.

Anyone with any sense could have told them this would happen.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

AlanHolt wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:17 pm
HedgeHopper wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:09 am
Not at all, 52% of voters voted to leave the EU, but that was only 37% of the population.

Can you see the difference?

Our voting system always thows up anomalies, back in the sixties a couple of times that"Red under the Bed" Harold Wilson formed a Labour Govt although the Labour Party received less votes than the Tories across the country however that's the system we use and we always have abided by the result it thows up.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:21 pm The EU is an international organisation. Both it and its member states are bound by rules.

The Uk decided to leave. The rest of the EU agreed. May and the EU Have come to an agreement that allows the UK to leave in accordance with those rules.

Those who wanted us to leave are now upset by this. They expected something different.

They have been disappointed.

Anyone with any sense could have told them this would happen.
I don't believe the average leave voter would have been disappointed if we just left, the disappoint has arisen from the certain factions and the civil service stopping us from leaving insisting that we had to have a deal.

Return to “THE PUB”