Solo or Group ?

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Godspeed

Re: Solo or Group ?

Post by Godspeed »

Solo for me :)
I spend pretty much all the time looking after people both at work and also caring for an old Dad who had a severe stroke 5 years ago.
I find it hard to drop that when I’m in a group so solo is my preferred option.
I love being able to change my mind without upsetting anyone, stay wherever I fancy, ride as much or as little as I like, and spend a bit of time with my own thoughts.
My last trip on my C90 to Germany was fantastic and I can’t wait til the next one 👍
58238AAC-882D-4D37-9606-0B6B3B5EB0E2.jpeg
58238AAC-882D-4D37-9606-0B6B3B5EB0E2.jpeg (189.24 KiB) Viewed 3196 times
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

Solo.

It's a bit profound but being on your own for a while, inside you own head with only your own thoughts for company means you can get to know yourself....the good bits as well as the bad bits. Does this make sense?
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

PaulinBont wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:14 pm Solo.

It's a bit profound but being on your own for a while, inside you own head with only your own thoughts for company means you can get to know yourself....the good bits as well as the bad bits. Does this make sense?
Wow ...... deep man.
Yes it completely makes sense but be aware that often when we look inwards it can be a downward spiral which some people are not aware of or know how to get out of.
About 12 months after my Dad passed away and I'd finally got my Mums disability care needs sorted out I went to Morocco with 2 other blokes to get away from it all. One night alone in my tent my mind suddenly went in to homesickness mode and the reality of the previous year hit home :shock: never had it before or since thankfully.
A couple of days away from the family is ok but not much longer for me.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

For me its solo or with folks i know or know me as i can be a right missearble bastard :o :lol: ...i do much prefer my own company but ive come to have conversations with my goat on the bike looking out at beautifull views...

Sharing them specjal moments is hard on your own...but being a looner for much of my life helps...
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I am happy to do both and do head off on my own. I book a solo ferry ticket to France for 3 weeks but usually meet up with a few people. Its great being able to stop off in some nice place and enjoy chill out time. I spend my life organizing and managing things and its nice to get out of that mode. I am lucky enough to be able to being my work with me by way of a netbook but have the discipline to leave it parked away except when somehign requires it.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
XF650

Post by XF650 »

Agree with most on this page. It's both for me but gotta say that the last few trips with a small group was a total disappointment cos on each trip there was someone new who was so slooooooooooooow! Each time I vowed not to do it again but it keeps happening. Might be doing a trip down to France which may include yet another newbie on a small bike so, this time I'm going to swop the knobblies for adventure tyres on the XT225 and then enjoy 90+ mpg lol!

Solo is best, no doubt. As has been said, you can do what you want, when you want and how you want. Meeting fellow adventurers is cool and you can even follow the weather if you want.

You really can't beat camping solo on a bike for a week or two in Scotland, it's the ultimate way to escape and chill! 8-) 8-) 8-)
Cone

Post by Cone »

PaulinBont wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:14 pm Solo.

Can I suggest you try an amber tint pin lock...

I rode for the first time with it and grass looks so Green it’s unreal. Changes the contrast and I felt so relaxed.. even trying to follow others!!
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Tramp wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:12 pm i can be a right missearble bastard :o :lol: ...
Yup I'll second that :lol: :lol:

Solo for.me.
Like to get up when I want, get on the move when I want and stop where and when I want.
Besides when you're doing a Billy no mates tour, the locals are less intimidated by you and are much more likely to open up and be far more welcoming and helpful.

Hard enough trying to get a small group together for a days riding on the Plain.
tempesc

Post by tempesc »

Do a bit of both but definitely solo for a bigger trip for me.

Even after 10 days with the same mate the discussion becomes a bit predictable. Being with a particular person also inevitably inhibits your ability to engage with the people you meet on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Probably as a result of being an only child I'm more than happy riding solo. I did a chunk of the Pyrenees off road solo (probably not a good idea) and really enjoyed it.
However, I'm also happy in a group. I've been on continental trips with a couple of mates for a number of years, all have been excellent.
Why?
We ride at a pace which we all find comfortable.

We get on well together, even though we're quite different. This may be helped by the fact that we see little of each other for the rest of the year.

We are happy to say if we want a rest, coffee, an easy day, yet another beer etc.

We don't take each other too seriously.

I think it's VITAL that you spend at least a couple of days away to check things out first.

Solo Pyrenees

Group.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.

Return to “TRAVEL”