Go Big and Ride Small

The Things We Ride
diggermanbob

Re: Go Big and Ride Small

Post by diggermanbob »

dodursley wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:52 pm just brought a small that fits inside the car a Honda 74 ST90
needs some prepping and registering but it is tax & MOT free & will do some short distance softroading, its only got 2 1/2 lt tank!
st90 abingdon 06.jpg
I do like that very nice
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

There's a lot of fun to be had from riding little bikes. Even while I was racing Fireblades and road-riding Bimotas I always had a little bike for those times you just wanted to arse about cheaply and easily. These were my weapons of choice back in the 90s:

chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Brilliant choice, I used to have an RV 125, whilst working in Greece, great bike, went everywhere on it......small bikes the way forward :D
Landsurfer

Post by Landsurfer »

Have ridden thousands of miles on day and weekend trips on my many and varied MZ 125's.
Faultless tourers as long as you are happy with the 50 mph cruising speed ... ok 45 mph ....
Delightful days riding from Ipswich to North Wales, Sheffield to Redruth in Cornwall, all a joy on the comfortable and reliable MZ.
One bonus of the MZ125 is its size .... it's big , but light. Ideal for my 6" 2" frame.
But the best of all the MZ tourers is without doubt the Wilf Green MZ300 ETZ .... tour the world ... as many have.
Go Out. Take Risks. Live.
“ No chains shall sully thee, Thou soul of love and brav’ry “
almar

Post by almar »

+1 for the MZ 125 rode mine from Sheffield to Holland, Belgium,France. never missed a beat.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

A Loooong time ago I had about three MZ250s in Succession--Lion Rally in Belgium, and 40k miles in two years commuting--they could be fixed easily and once you had replaced the plastic caged mains they simply ran and ran---and the earlier ones had a 5 gallon tank!
Now I've farkled my WR250R for trips--last year Bulgaria and back, and this year the Dordogne and the west coast of Brittany--always Dover- Calais and always camping all the way. I've actually just been out to garage, removed the cover, and fired it up for a warm through--started straight up--on about 30k miles now and it runs like a clock (bigger tank, 70 mpg, rear rack, pannier frames , screen extension and so on--they have a big alternator as standard and also a 26k valve check interval--just change the oil regularly every couple of thousand or so--takes all of 10 minutes)--and an advantage of a small bike is that you can fit a pretty aggressive set of tyres and they will last a long trip--so trails are always possible
Landsurfer

Post by Landsurfer »

Think in real terms the £3.2K i paid for my 2018 Himalayan was actually cheaper than my Sheffield MZ 300 ...
Tink

Post by Tink »

Landsurfer wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:26 pm Think in real terms the £3.2K i paid for my 2018 Himalayan was actually cheaper than my Sheffield MZ 300 ...
That was a bargain for the Himalayan🤗
Cone

Post by Cone »

I’ve got a Suzuki ts 50x in the garden free to anyone wanting to collect it from south wales :D
Landsurfer

Post by Landsurfer »

I'll have it for my grandson ... please ....

Return to “BIKES”