Help find an alternative to my Gixer!

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
boboneleg

Re: Help find an alternative to my Gixer!

Post by boboneleg »

Crossrutted wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:26 pm
I have recently had the misfortune to own a BMW GS1150 for two years - it was the worst motorcycle I've ever ridden or owned. It was crude, clunky, vibrated unpleasantly, dismal clutch feel, appalling built quality - I could go on.

The only thing it did passably well was go from A-B once you got it into 5th/6th gear.

And apparently this model was the zenith of GS development. :o :o :o

Now sanity has returned - a well designed and built Honda has replaced it and two up riding harmony has been restored.

Given your biking back catalogue I cannot imagine you on a GS - not for long anyway.
I did warn you that it was a barge :lol:

Great advice from Steve W .
one-legged adventurer
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

boboneleg wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:30 pm
I have recently had the misfortune to own a BMW GS1150 for two years - it was the worst motorcycle I've ever ridden or owned. It was crude, clunky, vibrated unpleasantly, dismal clutch feel, appalling built quality - I could go on.

The only thing it did passably well was go from A-B once you got it into 5th/6th gear.

Now sanity has returned - a well designed and built Honda has replaced it and two up riding harmony has been restored.

Given your biking back catalogue I cannot imagine you on a GS - not for long anyway.
Yes, you did Bob.

However, it beggars belief that a company that claims to make "premium products, market leader" etc can sell such a piece of sh1t.

You have to presume a majority of BMW owners are sucked in by the marketing and/or haven't ridden any other makes. :roll:
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Crossrutted wrote:

Yes, you did Bob.

However, it beggars belief that a company that claims to make "premium products, market leader" etc can sell such a piece of sh1t.

You have to presume a majority of BMW owners are sucked in by the marketing and/or haven't ridden any other makes. :roll:
Sales show their popularity

Must be doing something right

Best seller for last 20 years in Adv Bike sector

I have ridden much of the latest and greatest Adv bikes - but still prefer my 1150 GS Adv

I sold it this summer, fancying a complete change - do test rode a lot of new bikes and went out and bought another 1150 GS Adv again

Still, good job we're not all the same
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Crossrutted wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:13 pm

Yes, you did Bob.

Yeah, weird isn't it? They manage to build the reliable and mega-performance WSBK race-winning S1000RR, without too many complaints... but can't sort out the GS. The cars always seem pretty good too. Perhaps they are resting on their GS cash-cow laurels.
Weealwyn

Post by Weealwyn »

Hey there,
Sorry I'm late to the party.
I am a recent returner to bikes too. Have spent months test riding and deliberating.

If I had the money? Best bike I tried was a KTM 1090R. Exciting bike with comfort and feeling of off-road ability.
The 1200GS liquid cooled was a big step forward on my previous GS bikes.
Africa Twin was good, but it just wasn't as fun as the KTM.

In the end, my budget changed just before buying and dictated that I buy a 10yr old 40k miler 1200GS which I am loving, but I pine over that KTM still.

That doesn't help you at all of course, but my advise it to get proper test rides on each contender.

Alwyn
JJay51

Post by JJay51 »

SO in summary after reading this topic, if you collect stamps are grumpy and moan about electronics, blah blah blah price blah, blah, blah and too old to sling your leg over anything fun and exciting buy a GS or an AT, if however you still have some life left in you buy a KTM, its what all the cools kids want :D

Test ride everything and make your own mind up is the best option as some people are so stuck in their own comfy biking rut that they couldn't get out of it with a ladder :mrgreen:
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

OP, Something you did touch on in the original post which has not been addressed here is living with a large bike with shorter legs, I am also in this position ridden most of the current ADV bikes except the R and Taller models of the respective ranges I own a 05 GS1200 and use it a lot dont under estimate the advantage of the boxer engine from a c of g perspective and I know I can pick it up. Perhaps buy a used bike for less investment ride it a bit explore the new experiences this type of bike will allow if you wish, then you may understand which end of the compromise suits you. I also have back to back experience of the 1190 as an ex? sportster you may prefer something orange or Italian for a while at least. For me the GS is a brilliant package m.c. Let us know what you buy and how you get on. Whatever you get welcome to the world of ABR. P.S JJ send me a ladder. :D
JJay51

Post by JJay51 »

bikenav wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:21 pm OP, Something you did touch on in the original post which has not been addressed here is living with a large bike with shorter legs, I am also in this position ridden most of the current ADV bikes except the R and Taller models of the respective ranges I own a 05 GS1200 and use it a lot dont under estimate the advantage of the boxer engine from a c of g perspective and I know I can pick it up. Perhaps buy a used bike for less investment ride it a bit explore the new experiences this type of bike will allow if you wish, then you may understand which end of the compromise suits you. I also have back to back experience of the 1190 as an ex? sportster you may prefer something orange or Italian for a while at least. For me the GS is a brilliant package m.c. Let us know what you buy and how you get on. Whatever you get welcome to the world of ABR. P.S JJ send me a ladder. :D
Lol Paul you are the exception my friend, proof that little people can ride big bikes offroad :lol:

Must get out and ride with you again soon :D
herman

Post by herman »

For the price of one new bike you could buy three used and cover all the bases. Whatever you do if you are going to ride dirt get some training/guidance and enjoy the experience rather than fight with it. The big bikes will go surprising places but only with three mates in tow and commitment from your wallet. Image019 by herman munster, on Flickr ImageDSC01052 by herman munster, on Flickr ImageDSC01023 by herman munster, on FlickrImageIMG_20160903_153018806 - Copy by herman munster, on Flickr
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

...I should have said that the one I rode was a 1200 liquid cooled current model, I liked it, but I’ve not ridden any other GS’s so it may not be a true representation...or I have bumped my head as Rob said :D
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”