NEC Bike show today

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
dubber68

Re: NEC Bike show today

Post by dubber68 »

I wasn't going to go but as I am looking for a possible replacement for my Sertao as a do it all travel bike I wanted to compare the Yamaha T7 with the KTM 790 and also take a look at the Moto Guzzi V85 as a left field possibility. The KTM looked well put together and felt good ergonomically as far as you can tell sat on a static bike but it is pricey. The Tenere 700 was OK in my opinion but nothing special but will probably end up a great bike just like the S10. The guzzi had a few flaws like unadjustable foot controls to get it in the right place for when stood up but was quite appealing in a strange way. I ended up though thinking that the most obvious replacement was the updated CB500x. This seems to me to be a halfway house between the old 500x and a full rally raid conversion and at just over £6k was very well priced.
I work to live. I live to ride. I ride to work, Ever felt like your going in circles.

Yamaha XT1200Z, Sertao, Herald 250, Xcountry & Vanvan

[IMG]http://i1264.photobucket.com/albums/jj4 ... POINTS.jpg[/IMG
herman

Post by herman »

This is getting the RR treatment over winter. 18 months old 3.5k and just over £4 from a dealer. The S10 stays though. ImageDSC01436 by herman munster, on Flickr
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
smudger272

Post by smudger272 »

dibbs wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:04 pm Thought I would share my thoughts/musings on the bikes I went to look at, at the show today:

1. Honda CRF 250L. A great little bike for around £4600 rrp but oh dear that suspension is still way too soft and my lardy 16stone frame definitely made it sag!!! (and it was on a stand!!) so probably not for me (yet)

2. Honda CRF450L. No way is it worth £9500 of my money! way overpriced in my opinion, there are far better enduro bikes out there for a lot less nuff said.

3.The long awaited Yamaha T7 Mmmmm really wasn't overwhelmed if im honest I was really hoping to like this bike as a replacement for my Africa Twin, it looked like a bit of a budget bike for the money (Circa £9000 as price not released yet) and no where near the AT in all aspects (apart from weight lol)

4.KTM 790 Enduro R. Wow! what a bike this is going to be, I loved it and would have one tomorrow. Its build quality and style was spot on, even the ugly headlight didn't look out of place at all, I thought I would hate this bike but wow its quality. It does have a lot of stuff as standard (even a steering damper) did anyone else know that? If they can price this bike within the realms of reality it will be a winner in my opinion.

5. KTM 690 Enduro. Very nice but felt a bit smaller compared to the Husky 701 Enduro, and again price will play a big factor for this bike!

6. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. I think if I had just one bike as a 'do it all' this would be the one, ive seen what they can do off road and with a comfy seat they would be a great mini adventure bike as well and for £8500 im not sure this can be beaten!

7 And a total left field bike is the Royal Enfield Himalayan!!!! £4500 for a 400cc air cooled adventure bike cant be beaten IMO it would be a hoot just plopping around on this for many miles of fun! and im sure a pcp deal would work out cheap as chips, oh and the seat is very comfortable!!!

So there you have it my totally unbiased opinion of these bikes. I know everyone is different, and would like to hear some others opinions of these bikes. So I will wait to see the KTM pricing but im holding onto my Africa Twin for the time being as I couldn't see any of these bikes being better than what ive already got! (except the KTM 790! I hope its expensive so it will put me off hehehe) :D

My report is 16 stone your having a laugh
UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

herman wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:24 pm This is getting the RR treatment over winter. 18 months old 3.5k and just over £4 from a dealer. The S10 stays though.
Suspension level one, or two? Stock wheels or RR? Engine guard is a must.
herman

Post by herman »

UKJeeper wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:49 am
herman wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:24 pm This is getting the RR treatment over winter. 18 months old 3.5k and just over £4 from a dealer. The S10 stays though.
Suspension level one, or two? Stock wheels or RR? Engine guard is a must.
Level two but standard wheels for now. Engine guard yes and I hear they come with a gentle adjustment tool now developed by your good self. :lol:
UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

herman wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:30 pm

Level two but standard wheels for now. Engine guard yes and I hear they come with a gentle adjustment tool now developed by your good self. :lol:
Are you referring to.... ? :D
Attachments
20181002_145215.jpg
20181002_145215.jpg (106 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
herman

Post by herman »

Yup. 8-)
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

I went yesterday with work, which sounds like a jolly, but wasn't as I had four of my students with me who all have special needs. Even though they were great and got a lot out of it, it's was a bit like herding frogs. This meant that I did not see as much as I would have liked, however my impressions were: The Get On stand was great for giving the lads a chance to ride a bike and the staff there were incredibly patient with them. Lots of electric bikes, but apart from the small commuting ones none that are really practical in terms of range and speed for me to consider. The new Guzzi X 85 looks nice but a lot more road orientated than my old NTX 650 was. Guzzi always seem adept at shooting themselves in the foot. As this was the only really new bike they had there, why only have one on the stand? CCM seem to have moved from Clews Competition Machines to Cute Custom Machines (via Completely Crap Machine in the case of my GP450). Their stand was hipster Mecca and whilst the bikes were pretty they look as much use as a chocolate teapot. Fair play to them for supporting the RAF benevolent fund though. The new Norton 650 looks better in the flesh than on their website, still only slightly more use than a CCM though. I got the chance to have a brief chat with Nathan Millward and he gave up,some of his time to talk to my students. A true gent.
Best looking bike at the show, the concept Enfield v twin. Although there were a lot of bikes that if I had unlimited funds and space I might buy, in reality the only bike (apart from some of the classics) that I would want to own was the Himalayan, which is handy as I have already got one.
Cheers Jak
Stevied

Post by Stevied »

Was there yesterday too Jak.
Shame i didn't bump into you. Thought it was ok.
Lots of new bikes. Thought the Z900rs was the best looking bike.
Could be tempted.
Need to get out with you on that Himalayan.
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I went today. Good show 😎. I liked the CCM Spitfire a lot.
Where on earth did Honda come up with the £9700 price tag for the CRF450L 😳...in my opinion that’s just bonkers...I reckon it’s £2k too much.
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone

Return to “THE PUB”