NEC Bike show today

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
dibbs

NEC Bike show today

Post by dibbs »

Thought I would share my thoughts/musings on the bikes I went to look at, at the show today:

1. Honda CRF 250L. A great little bike for around £4600 rrp but oh dear that suspension is still way too soft and my lardy 16stone frame definitely made it sag!!! (and it was on a stand!!) so probably not for me (yet)

2. Honda CRF450L. No way is it worth £9500 of my money! way overpriced in my opinion, there are far better enduro bikes out there for a lot less nuff said.

3.The long awaited Yamaha T7 Mmmmm really wasn't overwhelmed if im honest I was really hoping to like this bike as a replacement for my Africa Twin, it looked like a bit of a budget bike for the money (Circa £9000 as price not released yet) and no where near the AT in all aspects (apart from weight lol)

4.KTM 790 Enduro R. Wow! what a bike this is going to be, I loved it and would have one tomorrow. Its build quality and style was spot on, even the ugly headlight didn't look out of place at all, I thought I would hate this bike but wow its quality. It does have a lot of stuff as standard (even a steering damper) did anyone else know that? If they can price this bike within the realms of reality it will be a winner in my opinion.

5. KTM 690 Enduro. Very nice but felt a bit smaller compared to the Husky 701 Enduro, and again price will play a big factor for this bike!

6. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. I think if I had just one bike as a 'do it all' this would be the one, ive seen what they can do off road and with a comfy seat they would be a great mini adventure bike as well and for £8500 im not sure this can be beaten!

7 And a total left field bike is the Royal Enfield Himalayan!!!! £4500 for a 400cc air cooled adventure bike cant be beaten IMO it would be a hoot just plopping around on this for many miles of fun! and im sure a pcp deal would work out cheap as chips, oh and the seat is very comfortable!!!

So there you have it my totally unbiased opinion of these bikes. I know everyone is different, and would like to hear some others opinions of these bikes. So I will wait to see the KTM pricing but im holding onto my Africa Twin for the time being as I couldn't see any of these bikes being better than what ive already got! (except the KTM 790! I hope its expensive so it will put me off hehehe) :D
Oblix

Re: NEC Bike show today

Post by Oblix »

Good report, glad it’s fluff free that usually comes from media-ads / reviews

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Hahaha well i guess if i was being paid to wite reports on the bikes there would be more 'fluff' but my journolistic style is fluff free lol.... :D
V2orV4

Post by V2orV4 »

I visited today and here are a few of my thoughts.

I like the KTMs too very much, really good detailing and lots of the public making very positive comments. it’ll be particularly interesting to see the prices for the 790 in the new year.

New Guzzi adventure looks great too, looking forward to seeing some test reports. Oh yes, the Norton and Royal Enfield stands are well worth a looky too! In fact just look at everything!!!

There are still no plans for tubeless tyres on the Africa Twin.

The BMW GS seems to be even bigger than ever, bloody huge, or is it just me?

Bike Manufacturers seem to like putting pannier systems on that make bikes as wide as possible! Particularly noticeable on adventure bikes, the new Yamaha 700 and Triumph Tigers especially so to my eye. I realise today’s exhaust systems contribute mostly to the problem, but if a lower mounted system was an option, surely it would reduce the problem and make the bike look better and more evenly balanced anyway. A big compromise off road, but as an option it may appeal to some?

It was pretty busy for a Monday, I always find the show worthwhile as you can try and compare stuff on the same day, but I must admit the amount of small stall holders seem to be reducing year on year. There still seemed to be good deals on helmets and clothing, just do a bit of research and barter nicely, it usually works!
Helicoptermanr22

Post by Helicoptermanr22 »

Agree with above. I have to say i was disappointed with the T7. Very budget like. Not giving away prices also but June 19 for delivery. The switch gear etc is almost identical to XT660R. Dash is very cheap in build quality as is the result of it.
I thought The KTmM 790 is an ugly beast with that long and very low fuel tank. The engine is almost completely covered up in plastic and sadly that fugly headlight is too prominent.
Crf450L is lovely but not at 9500. 2000 the wrong way.
The busiest stand was BMW. Good show, i really only went to see the T7 but after what i saw i wont be buying one.:(
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Yes, it appears entries for the build the world's ugliest production bike are still open...and the Austrians are in the lead

I nominated this..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=husqv ... fKJkxucaSM:
Oblix

Post by Oblix »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:Yes, it appears entries for the build the world's ugliest production bike are still open...and the Austrians are in the lead

I nominated this..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=husqv ... fKJkxucaSM:

Agreed 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The sad thing is, it's probably a really nice bike to ride (but not in the rain because you would get dirty water off the back tyre running down your neck.

But, call me old-fashioned, if I'm buying a new bike, I'd rather have one that didn't look like it had been crashed already.
UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

V2orV4 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:11 pm

There are still no plans for tubeless tyres on the Africa Twin.

Fortunately, Rally Raid have various aftermarket options to sort that issue. Somewhat spendy, but until Honda realise Tubeless should be on the AT's (like it is on the CB500x)...

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/hon ... frica-twin
sven

Post by sven »

I went yesterday and the R1250RS was the bike of the show for me, mainly as I’m looking for something a bit lighter and more manageable than my 2014 GS LC, but still comfy and fun
FC2BCB44-A66C-4A8F-AD8D-C5746E34E5FC.jpeg
FC2BCB44-A66C-4A8F-AD8D-C5746E34E5FC.jpeg (160.5 KiB) Viewed 3380 times

Return to “THE PUB”