Speeding in Switzerland? £3200 Fine

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Mike54

Re: Speeding in Switzerland? £3200 Fine

Post by Mike54 »

18 years ago a friend got zapped there, his car taken off him and it took a year and £60,000 to get it back (Ferrari 550)
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

EVskij wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:00 pm Makes me worried now, as I was on same road just two weeks ago. Obviously speeding up for overtakes as some vans etc were way below actual speed limit. I know we got flashed from the front in France just as i was pointing out to my wife where the camera was. We then overtook a tractor and a van going slow only to realise we were going a tad fast around 86-90 Km/ph in an 80km/ph limit past the camera, facing oncoming traffic. Did not see it flash or anything so suspect it was calibrated for oncoming traffic.
Next time in Switzerland, I shall watch out for my speed as that is allot of cash to give away for a bit of fun. Mind you GSA isn’t an MV but certainly a capable machine to achieve 144kmph on that road.

On that note, what other EU countries as strict/severe on speeding? I don’t drink enough to worry about being over the drink limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Be very careful as some camera's in France now take in both directions, not just the side/ direction there facing :o
EVskij

Post by EVskij »

chunky butt wrote:
EVskij wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:00 pm Makes me worried now, as I was on same road just two weeks ago. Obviously speeding up for overtakes as some vans etc were way below actual speed limit. I know we got flashed from the front in France just as i was pointing out to my wife where the camera was. We then overtook a tractor and a van going slow only to realise we were going a tad fast around 86-90 Km/ph in an 80km/ph limit past the camera, facing oncoming traffic. Did not see it flash or anything so suspect it was calibrated for oncoming traffic.
Next time in Switzerland, I shall watch out for my speed as that is allot of cash to give away for a bit of fun. Mind you GSA isn’t an MV but certainly a capable machine to achieve 144kmph on that road.

On that note, what other EU countries as strict/severe on speeding? I don’t drink enough to worry about being over the drink limit.

Be very careful as some camera's in France now take in both directions, not just the side/ direction there facing :o
How does foreign speeding get fined, do you simply pay fine and that is the end of the matter or do you get points too like you get here in the UK?

I hope we did not get “registered” albeit we did adhere to speed limits as much as we could but with the scenery to look at one all over the sudden going faster as attention is now elwhere. :blast

zimtim

Post by zimtim »

The following is old but funnily enough came up on FB today so it has some relevance,
Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed. Good Day Sir"
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

A few years ago whilst in germany a motorist was stopped and had his vehicle srized for non payment of fine....pojnts arent added to uk licences yet....the french start off with points anc have them reduced when zero your walking :x :x ....

Just slow down....strange how the swiss have zonda as a car tuner , they all jump across the bordef fora blast then play goofy two shits back home..

Time to sell your rockets znd buy snails :o
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I avoid Switzerland for that reason--and having to pay 40 Euros (yearly motorway fee) just to cross the bloody place. Also note that the French can now link your speeding etc to the DVLA--so no on the spot fines--just a notice from the DVLA that you are being fined for your traffic offence!--don't know what happens after Brexit?
EVskij

Post by EVskij »

catcitrus wrote:I avoid Switzerland for that reason--and having to pay 40 Euros (yearly motorway fee) just to cross the bloody place. Also note that the French can now link your speeding etc to the DVLA--so no on the spot fines--just a notice from the DVLA that you are being fined for your traffic offence!--don't know what happens after Brexit?
Been through Switzerland twice on my way to Italy. Did not bother to pay £40 for each bike as not once did I even think to use their motorways since there are so many gorgeous roads and all those mountain passes to enjoy!

Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

zimtim wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:27 pm The following is old but funnily enough came up on FB today so it has some relevance,
Two British traffic patrol officers from North Berwick were involved in an unusual incident while checking for speeding motorists on the A1 Great North Road. One of the officers used a hand-held radar device to check the speed of a vehicle approaching over the crest of a hill, and was surprised when the speed was recorded at over 300 mph. Their radar suddenly stopped working and the officers were not able to reset it.

Just then a deafening roar over the treetops revealed that the radar had in fact latched on to a NATO Tornado fighter jet which was engaged in a low-flying exercise over the Border district, approaching from the North Sea.

Back at police headquarters the chief constable fired off a stiff complaint to the RAF Liaison office.

Back came the reply in true laconic RAF style:

"Thank you for your message, which allows us to complete the file on this incident. You may be interested to know that the tactical computer in the Tornado had detected the presence of, and subsequently locked onto, your hostile radar equipment and automatically sent a jamming signal back to it. Furthermore, an air-to-ground missile aboard the fully-armed aircraft had also automatically locked onto your equipment. Fortunately the pilot flying the Tornado recognized the situation for what it was, quickly responded to the missile systems alert status, and was able to override the automated defence system before the missile was launched and your hostile radar installation was destroyed. Good Day Sir"
It's an urban myth

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/friend-or-faux/
Scott_rider

Post by Scott_rider »

I got stopped in Switzerland in June for not having a vignette thingy in the hire car that I was driving (after my bike broke down in Austria). The copper was pleasant but extremely firm and directed me to the nearest petrol station where I had to buy one for 40 euros which was a bummer as I was only in Switzerland for 2 hours :( . I pleaded innocence and that it was the fault of the car hire firm which I think he accepted otherwise it would have probably been a different matter.

Having watched that video I’ll be avoiding Switzerland in future :( .
Suzuki GSX-S1000F...the KTM 450 EXC-R has gone
OB1

Post by OB1 »

johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:51 am
OB1 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:45 am Serves them right for nearly double the speed limit.

The fact that even filtering is illegal in Switzerland didn't give them a clue that excessive speed might result in a hefty fine?
I disagree, hard to keep to a limit on an open road

Sometimes it's hard to work out which speed limit is which though, on a open mountain road

50 mph is bugger all on the Susten pass, you'd need a 50cc moped to be well under on a road like that

They were doing 90 in a 50... think about that for a moment. Have you ridden that much faster than the surrounding traffic? I can understand 5 or maybe 10 mph over the limit but 40 mph over is stretching the notion that you can't keep to 50. I don't speed (much) and I don't find it difficult to keep to the limit. If, as you suggest, they had difficulty working out what the speed limit was, they probably shouldn't be riding on the road.
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “TRAVEL”