Wood gives me wood

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Wood gives me wood

Post by daveuprite »

Does anyone else have a wood fetish? Or is it just me? (gulp...)

I've just finished chopping and stacking about 4 cords of yummy oak, chestnut and cherry. 2 for the Rayburn and 2 for the big woodburner. That leaves me about 3 years ahead so that we're always burning 2-year seasoned wood. As they say, it warms you up twice - once when you cut it and once when you burn it!

After the longest nicest Summer we've had in over ten years out in France (it's still 25 degrees outside even now), it's very satisfying to know that it's all sat there ready for the winter months ahead.

diggermanbob

Re: Wood gives me wood

Post by diggermanbob »

I know what you mean Dave , I have a pile of oak and ash rings , ready to go on the hydraulic log splitter , it's a job for next month , fill up the stilages and stack them in the barn ready for this year and next , gives you a nice warm feeling knowing you have loads of logs to burn , :D
micksea

Post by micksea »

that's a lot of wood :shock:
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

It's 37℃ right now in Flix, Spain, so I can't even think about chopping wood for winter.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Yup..i got my pickup load in last week, ash and oak ....normally 3 cube does me inbthe log burner its what wintrrs about ...roaring fire andca bottle of red :o
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I'd almost go as far as to say I'm a wood pervert, once a tree monkey always a tree monkey :D

The only thing I miss about my last place was the wood burner & open fireplace in the bedroom. Nothing like a wood fire (although it was pretty much the only heating we had so by mid Feb the novelty well & truly worn off)

A real sense of achievement seeing your stack of cord get higher & higher. I've lost my access to free wood now so just as well. Hand chopping doesn't half keep you fit, I very much doubt I could spend an entire day doing it now.

Very nice selection; fast burning, slow burning, sweet burning
Last edited by P4ulie on Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Petethefeet

Post by Petethefeet »

I failed this year and had to buy some in, normally get to my mates woods and play lumberjack, just ran out of time this year.
Always a good feeling to get the log store filled and the chimney swept, bring on the winter....
XT350 1988
Triumph Thunderbird 1957
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Nice feeling that Dave, unfortunately still splitting "trees" at the mo, will start cutting our twenty plus cube a year in about a fortnight ......oh deep joy, usually takes three of us a good day and half to cut and stack :D
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

And this is the closest I ever get to using a Kindle Fire...

sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I work for a firm that make timber framed kit houses. It's a bit boring but I can't leave because I haven't had to buy any firewood for my log burner for about 8 years now! 😂

Return to “THE PUB”