CRF250L .... Opinions?????

The Things We Ride
Tink

CRF250L .... Opinions?????

Post by Tink »

I'm thinking about buying a second hand crf250l...
For easy trails and small back roads playing about πŸ‘..... I've seen two bikes both 2014 model with 23k on clock for just below Β£2.5.....

Any opinions of reliability and owners reviews would be appreciated πŸ»πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ‘

Hit me!!!!! thanks πŸ‘
Stewie

Re: CRF250L .... Opinions?????

Post by Stewie »

Great bike, you can set the world alight but it will have gone out by the time you get there...πŸ˜‚
Honda reliablity, not an enduro bike, but doesn't pretend to be, just a great all rounder for the trails, good MPG and long service intervals.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

reliability is ace if they are looked after well ...the 8000 mile service interval is just too big imho

the suspension period is bargain basment and id say you would need a rear shock and some racetech springs to make it work ok on tougher trails .. but neil rode his over most of the uks well known track standard and made em look easy ..if you a lighter guy doing milder tracks it will get you around no bother folks get around just fine on them ..but its not great suspension wise tbo

the pre17 model has a nice engine but struggles to pull 6th gear without a 13 front and the gap from 1st to 2nd is big on standard gearing ..they actually go well in the lower gears but the engine drops off power a bit early to pull top gear well on the standard 14
the 17 engines are much better have been reworked and are much more comfortab;e at highway speeds

ive two crfs and have ended up with 300r motors and full suspension upgrades

had a look on ebay and its surprising how much they hold their money ...they were dirt cheap when i bought mine

tbo at 2500 quid for the milage and then potentially around 400 quid for suspension upgrades its not the best bet

out of the box for trail riding consider a klx250s ive seen a few around 2750 low miles 15 plate ish ..there are some stuupid prices out there for both models ,,but the klx has much better suspension and although the engine is pretty tame downstairs it can be bobbed along on standard gearing much easier ..they are much more difficult to adventurise near everything is from accross the pond or eastern europe belly pans rad guards ect ..where as the crf anything is easy as peas

id up the budget a little and grab a lower milage one ...or maby make a daft offer around 1900 quid ..it wont be a easy sell ... but out of the box the klx 250 is a better trail bike for sure ..the payback for me is that they arnt as stable at higher speed as the hondas ..more effected by sidewinds /white lines ect
.once the hondas have been sorted they are actually better than the klx suspension wise ,,the differences after that are more down to the rider than the bike ...
i think folks are reluctant somtimes to throw a few hundred quid at the hondas being a budget bike and all .. i spent in total around 1300 quid on my 13 plate ..suspension enngine tank ectect ...but it really is a decent little bike now ..its in its fourth year with me and ..1300 quid is peanuts compared to whats out there and three years on i still love the bones of it ....ive done some pretty big trips on it and it always holds its own ...ni inyention of selling it .ill just dump another engine in if i ever need one

al that said for easy tracks and general hooning about commuting to work its a good bike .. i think five of the abc crew havs crfs now and no one knocks em

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Tink

Post by Tink »

Thanks for such a detailed review πŸ‘πŸ»
Much appreciated πŸ‘
jinna1961

Post by jinna1961 »

via moto in Sheffield has an 18 plate for Β£3399, it has done 4100 miles tho, but according to the blurb it's all commuter miles and no off road.

I have a 15 plate one and i love mine.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

that seems a pretty sharp deal id deffo streach to that if i could better engine .. warranty should hold price ok 20k less seems pretty good
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
gebrauchtwagen83

Post by gebrauchtwagen83 »

Great bit of kit. Dave Pickering of this parish rode to Mongolia and back on his. No issues. He’s even thinking about going to magadan in the same bike !!
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Kawa KLX250 has better suspension for trails
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

overall, very good for what intended .. light trails mostly, with plenty of road work in between.
heavy, not easy to pick up off ground

not an endure bike
uses a detuned cbr250 engine, and feels like it too
feels like a road bike when on trails
clutch goes too easily but easy to replace with hd clutch and springs
bolts like cheese
bolts over-torqued from factory

long service intervals but best to do at less than 8000 miles
easy to ride
fun bike
easy to work on
carries weight well on rear rack
easy on tyres and chain etc

yes!
Cone

Post by Cone »

I test rode one. I think Gary summed it up well enough with Detuned engine. If your use to power it may not be for you but it you just want it for pottering around trails it sounds ideal.

I test rode it and it wasn't for me, I like to be able to use the power if I need to and it just wasn't there... :(

Return to β€œBIKES”