CCM 404 DS starting problem

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: CCM 404 DS starting problem

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

zimtim wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:24 pm Have you actually turned the fuel on .
Yes, it's got 2 taps, which both have to be turned on!
Richard Simpson Mark II

So, I'm thinking which job is less a pain to do...check the valves or the carb!
Richard Simpson Mark II

byewayrider wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:00 am You ainy caught the choke cable too....warm weather no choke syndrome....got to be something simple as it ran before refitting tank :o :lol:
Indeed, but the choke control is directly attached to the carb...no cable.

And it's got push/pull throttle cables, with full movement.
Fried Egg Sandwich

Post by Fried Egg Sandwich »

It's the DRZ lump isn't it? Is it the same carb?
If so check that the PAIR valve if fitted hasn't had one of the pipes come off which could potentially let air in to the inlet straight after the carb.
Suzuki DRZ400S
BMW R1150GS
Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke Irish orator, philosopher, & politician (1729 - 1797)
jkay

Post by jkay »

The oil tip was from a grown up on adrider :lol:
Richard Simpson Mark II

When I was a kid, I used to have a job cutting grass in the village churchyard with a horrible old Mountfield mower.

I used the oil trick from time to time with a drop of 2-stroke.

It does work...but not sure I've got the courage to do it with the CCM.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Fried Egg Sandwich wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:51 pm It's the DRZ lump isn't it? Is it the same carb?
If so check that the PAIR valve if fitted hasn't had one of the pipes come off which could potentially let air in to the inlet straight after the carb.

It's an Australia-spec DRZ...which essentially is the 'E' engine with the 'S' electrics.

I've done a visual inspection and can't see any obviously loose pipes or wires.

That said: it's a rat's nest around the engine. I look back to my old DR350S with nostalgia on these occasions...although that could be a pig to start.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Lots of useful tips there--but one thing I try is to soak the spark plug in fuel and replace it--be quick. Crank with no throttle or choke and see if the evaporated fuel will at least give you something.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,
What a conundrum? Forgive me for thinking out loud, you can probably hear the clanking of gears or smell the burning effect :lol:

You are sure that;
the valve clearances and timing are fine, strong compression
the ignition timing is fine - rotor turns with the crankshaft so woodruff key is not broken
petrol is definitely filling the float bowl and after cranking the engine you can smell petrol from the plug hole
nothing in the inlet manifold, which is itself secure and airtight
no trapped nor leaking vacuum hoses
connections from the ignition trigger are fine good spark but remember that at atmospheric pressure and cranking does not always mean one under compression
does your engine have the breather system referred to as pairing, if so try blanking it off at the inlet with a clamp or large marble (what we non posh kids called an 'olly')
craning speed is as it should be and there is a good spark (an old trick to test was to cut the HT lead and wrap it through opposite holes of a large button to look for a spark whilst cranking - now you can buy plastic adapters to fit on top of the plug between the cap to do the same job - I have some if you want me to loan you one or check
https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-ht-lea ... pack/61411

Do you have means to lock the engine at TDC compression and apply a constant external air pressure to the cylinder through the spark plug hole? If so try listening and smelling at the carb; exhaust outlet and crankcase breather. If air can be heard or felt at the silencer outlet then the exhaust valve/seat is poor - if at the carb then inlet sealing is poor- if at the crankcase breather the piston/rings/bore are poor. Pouring a soup spoon quantity of 'hot' light oil, (3 in 1) or diesel, could temporarily seal the bore thus reduce compression loss and it might help free off gummed up rings.

I am confused that the engine started immediately after service work but not after the second removing/refitting of the tank and realigning the throttle cables. Could moving the cables have separated electrical leads, possibly but you have a spark?

Recharge the battery or substitute it whilst we keep thinking.

I think that I would remove the carb and recheck it, possibly there is simply a blocked pilot jet or drilling.

TTFN

Hugh.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

spark there so probably petrol .. check that wheely thing that the 2 throttle cables move back and fore .. check it goes full turn on and off .. and not stuck in one position ?

Return to “TECHNICAL”