Cleaning your pride and joy

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
OB1

Cleaning your pride and joy

Post by OB1 »

I've been riding for over 30 years and love virtually all aspects of motorcycling... except for cleaning the damned things. Unlike a car with its huge expanses of flat-ish bodywork, bikes have loads of little nooks and crannies, hard to reach places and annoying sharp bits on which to scrape your knuckles... and I friggin' hate it! Because of this, my bike gets cleaned only a few times a year (whether it needs it or not... ha!) and, on some of those occasions, it'll be done by the Eastern Europeans down at the hand car wash - they are pretty good but, depending on who is there at the time, the price can vary from £5 to £15.

Another issue is that I have a tiny yard and no access to a hose or outdoor water supply.

Anyway... what this rant is all about is finding out if there is a product out there that I can just spray over the bike, leave for 5 to 10 minutes, then spray off? I know that there must be something out there but I want to know which products really work and are worth the money.

Your views will be appreciated. :D
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com
bill_qaz

Re: Cleaning your pride and joy

Post by bill_qaz »

Muck-Off
It's a cleaner not an insult :-)
I have used on trail bikes good stuff but any make of similar you use make sure it is well rinsed off any alloy surfaces a some brands do discolour if you don't
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

OB1 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:31 pm Anyway... what this rant is all about is finding out if there is a product out there that I can just spray over the bike, leave for 5 to 10 minutes, then spray off?

Not really. They all say that on the bottle and it's bullshit. What they really mean is;

'Just spray it on, leave it for 5 minutes, wash it off, discover that most of the muck is still stuck on, start again, spray it on, get a "brush", spend half an hour scrubbing like a loon, wash it off, discover that about half the muck has gone, start again etc etc.'

Anyway, here's the one I use on enduro bikes:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCK-SMART-E ... Sw8d9UrYSk

Mainly because it's quickly broken down organically and not oil/petroleum based. You still have to do all the scrubbing though, whatever it says on the bottle....

I did hear a story once about someone who had this thing called 'a friend who likes bike cleaning'. No, I didn't believe it either but apparently it was true. He actually enjoyed cleaning this guy's bike for him. Ideally you need to find one of them.
simonw

Post by simonw »

OB1 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:31 pm...if there is a product out there that I can just spray over the bike, leave for 5 to 10 minutes, then spray off?

S-Doc 100 is pretty much like that. Spray it on, leave it 10 minutes, then jetwash it off.
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

All year biker, ends up really clean and protected with ACF50, or something like it. Hardest bit is paying for it :D
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

simonw wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:58 pm
OB1 wrote: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:31 pm...if there is a product out there that I can just spray over the bike, leave for 5 to 10 minutes, then spray off?

S-Doc 100 is pretty much like that. Spray it on, leave it 10 minutes, then jetwash it off.
+1 for SDoc, it’s expensive but good results
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
lancashirelad

Post by lancashirelad »

I bought some SDOC-100 in a 2 for 1 offer at Hein Gericke years a go never used it till the other week and I was quite impressed by it to be honest.
***just like Britney Spears oops I did it again……sold the Scrambler & as of now there may not be a replacement***
IanB

Post by IanB »

Yep, it's expensive but it does what it says on the tin :)
Time knows no limits for days such as these.............
macvisual

Post by macvisual »

I've hardly ever washed my bike in many (many) years, I only use (fabulous) WD40 sprayed onto a rough cloth/old tea towel for the likes of both wheels/rims/front forks/rear swinging arm/exhausts etc, and Autoglym Instant Show Shine spray/polish for the plastic fairings and petrol tank. Been doing this for about 15yrs with truly excellent results.

That's it......... simple. I've been riding bikes around 38yrs.

Peter
Central Scotland
"Progress is not possible without deviation".

Frank Zappa
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Another plus one for SDoc100from me, might need a bit of scrubbing still, there used to be a product called CYKO. It was great but I haven’t seen it anywhere in a few years now. :roll:
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography

Return to “TECHNICAL”