Travel to Morocco with Van Advice wanted

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
Lee950

Travel to Morocco with Van Advice wanted

Post by Lee950 »

Hi, I lost my old log in details so re joined.

Looking for some advice Please as I see some on here are very well travelled :D

I am looking to do the Pan Africa rally next month, done 6 or 7 road book rallys before on bikes but always flown out whilst a team has taken my bike. This time I am going to do one in a can am side by side (Blame the co driver when we get lost ;) ) so need to travel from the UK in either a luton van(7.5 metres long) or a pick up and trailer (12 metres long)

I am told it is best to get a ferry from Portsmouth/ Southampton etc to Santandare to cut out the drive through france but I am getting prices of £3300 :o Also looking at over £500 to cross from spain to morocco, I was told to go to Nador because of less problems with customs but there does not seem to be any crossing available for the dates I need, what is next best?

I need to be at Erfoud on the 8th September and leave on the 15th September but unsure how many days I would need each way.

Any one else from the UK thinking of going to this event?

Thanks Lee.
WIBO

Re: Travel to Morocco with Van Advice wanted

Post by WIBO »

Good afternoon

No problems with customs if going via Algeciras and Tanger Med ... should be cheaper that Almeria and Nador I’d say.

Fill out your customs forms on line to save anything goofy and fill out passport forms on the ferry .

Customs will use a hand scanner to process your papers et voilà.

Page One here will explain customs if you haven't been before..if you have then you'll know what I'm on about :D

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=45342

Here we can put two motos in the likes of a Peugeot Expert van...these are shorter...what about the bikes on a pick up without a trailer? This way you'll save big time?

If you need a local garage contact in Merzouga (along with a 4x4 pick up for breakdown) I can provide.

Above all have a safe and good ride out

😁

Will It Buff Out?
Lee950

Post by Lee950 »

Thanks WIBO, I will have a good read of that, Not going on bikes this time I will be in this https://twitter.com/x3racingltd
Seem to spend too much time on 2 wheels but not rearlly a bike :lol:
byewayrider

Post by byewayrider »

Hi lee950.....

Nice canam....ive travelled lots of north africa and tunisia etc, always found either the crazy french or dutch or ibsane Germans are big into trans sahara travel maybe thry could help with transport....dont the organisers of the event get special rates and travel links...its only 3 days from calais by road to the spanish ports...sure that car would fit in a artic trailer :lol: ..

Best of luck in thd race
Solo ktm690 euro trail rider
herman

Post by herman »

Really look at comparing ferry prices along with tolls. In the lunacy of Brittany ferries' pricing a lwb crafter cost us more than our Amorok with a three bike trailer due to the van now being classed as freight. Also a merc with the same trailer was only £50 dearer than two bikes. You may find the luton to be the really expensive option due to it's height and ditto for the tolls. 10% codes are about too.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Lee950 wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:53 pm Thanks WIBO, I will have a good read of that, Not going on bikes this time I will be in this https://twitter.com/x3racingltd
Seem to spend too much time on 2 wheels but not rearlly a bike :lol:
Get it now!!!...My idea of a Can Am is some old twin shocker!!!!

:D
Will It Buff Out?
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

If you cant do Nador I would do Tangier Med as mentioned above. you can then motroway down a way then fork off left at kenitra and go via Meknes and Midelt

unless you have a lot of time on your hands I would do plymouth santander with a trailer and a 4x4. It's a long day to get to the southern spanish coast though with a trailer or in a van, its about 800k. Basically there is no cheap or easy way of doing it
ChrisCole

Post by ChrisCole »

I may be wrong but my understanding is that you can only fill your customs form on line for one vehicle per person. If you can sort out insurance
(Green card) before you go it saves a lot of hassle. Don't leave Morocco via Ceuta unless you enjoy anarchy.
Lee950

Post by Lee950 »

Thanks for the replies, Maybe I should get a boat :lol:

Another option is the Balkens rally in Bulgaria but almost as far and other problems with that like moving bivouac and bigger fuel tank needed.

Would stick with bikes but not good at multi tasking, riding a bike and reading a road book at the same time causes me problems, almost had a head on with a tractor at the Serres.
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I remember when we moved from the UK to Spain, I brought our second van and trailer (Vauxhall Movano MWB towing a 7m 3.5t trailer) on the Portsmouth to Bilbao ferry. The prices were silly, around £2700, but I managed to get a one way crossing with a cabin for £760 but I can't remember what I changed on the booking form to get the price down.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7

Return to “TRAVEL”