Husqvarna 701

The Things We Ride
GB

Re: Husqvarna 701

Post by GB »

Ive had both and the 17 model is far superoir to the 16. I fitted the Rade garage fuel tank then a PCV along with a rottweiler SAS removal kit. Its one of the few bikes I really miss.
Attachments
DSC_0097.JPG
DSC_0097.JPG (243.06 KiB) Viewed 3480 times
Last edited by GB on Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finally back on a GS :D
bowber

Post by bowber »

Well I eventually got out on mine trail riding, over some of my local trails then over Breasthigh road. It was going up here that I did something that I've not done for a LONG time, I stalled just as I got onto a drainage pipe, missed my footing and fell over and carried on down into the stream :oops: :lol: , bike stayed at the top though and didn't get any more than scratches but I'll have to watch that as my EXC doesn't stall so I was subconsciously expecting the same.
Anyway it was a decent ride out and we came back over Shap A6 so I was able to feel how it performed on a fast A road.
Overall I feel it's a nice trail bike, the EXC is light and skitters around on rough going until you start pushing it then it works well, my old 950 Adv was very stable on rough going due to the weight but became a bit of a handful on rough climbs etc, especially if you lost momentum, but the 701 is just right for trail riding and then you can push it on as well if you want to, then on the road it's happy at 60+.
I suffer main roads just to get to interesting minor roads and trails and the 701 feels right at home doing that, maybe a bit of wind protection would be of benefit on a long ride but I've no interest in having a rally tower and screen so I may get a 690 screen and bolt that to the headlight mask.

Steve
bowber

Post by bowber »

They say pictures speak a thousand words.
IMG_20180725_180835623.jpg
IMG_20180725_180835623.jpg (166.56 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
IMG_20180725_190356871.jpg
IMG_20180725_190356871.jpg (95.22 KiB) Viewed 3403 times
Steve
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

What power setting is it on, assuming it is the same as my old 690.
I found low and medium were really fluffy when creeping forward or a slow pullaway is needed.
I ended up leaving on ‘nutter’ and let the torque do the work. It was transformed.
Even in slurry it was rare to spin the rear wheel as it is then so controllable.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Oblix

Post by Oblix »

DavidS wrote:What power setting is it on, assuming it is the same as my old 690.
I found low and medium were really fluffy when creeping forward or a slow pullaway is needed.
I ended up leaving on ‘nutter’ and let the torque do the work. It was transformed.
Even in slurry it was rare to spin the rear wheel as it is then so controllable.
Having just gotten mine a few weeks back.. these few lines intrigues me.. where are these settings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Oblix

Husqvarna 701

Post by Oblix »

bowber wrote:Well I eventually got out on mine trail riding, over some of my local trails then over Breasthigh road. It was going up here that I did something that I've not done for a LONG time, I stalled just as I got onto a drainage pipe, missed my footing and fell over and carried on down into the stream Image Image , bike stayed at the top though and didn't get any more than scratches but I'll have to watch that as my EXC doesn't stall so I was subconsciously expecting the same.
Anyway it was a decent ride out and we came back over Shap A6 so I was able to feel how it performed on a fast A road.
Overall I feel it's a nice trail bike, the EXC is light and skitters around on rough going until you start pushing it then it works well, my old 950 Adv was very stable on rough going due to the weight but became a bit of a handful on rough climbs etc, especially if you lost momentum, but the 701 is just right for trail riding and then you can push it on as well if you want to, then on the road it's happy at 60+.
I suffer main roads just to get to interesting minor roads and trails and the 701 feels right at home doing that, maybe a bit of wind protection would be of benefit on a long ride but I've no interest in having a rally tower and screen so I may get a 690 screen and bolt that to the headlight mask.

Steve

I dont like the rally fairings, dont need a tower as i have no interest for road book mechanisms, but i also dont like the stock headlight, i’ve been toying with slapping on a 990 (2006-2013) headlight and screen, but i’ve also come across a few pics for the 2018 ktm 200 duke headlight and screen, looking on fowlers, these headlights are £120 - £150ish, quite a bit cheaper than the rally or modern adventure bike led headlights @ £300ish

I think the term is naked (headlight turns with the steering) vs fairing panels .. if that term is correct, i’m keen on the naked + small screen look

Last edited by Oblix on Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

My 690 had a switch under the seat that gave you power options.
I don’t know if the 701 has them but was just taking a logical timeline extension.
It should be in your handbook.

I just did a quick google and it looks like it does.
The soft setting annoyed the hell out of me and I am no expert, quite the opposite off road.
You can also by an extension that transfers it to the bars but I obviously didn’t bother.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
bowber

Post by bowber »

The bikes with the Duke motor (2017 on?) don't have the 3 settings, they just have the one.

The current power is very smooth and it's got plenty down low but I tend to ride in high gears and low revs, the EXC can go to the point where you think the motor is stopped and still not stall, and yesterday would have been fine if I'd not found the edge with my foot :)

Steve
Oblix

Post by Oblix »

Mine is the 17 model so i’ll check on the weekend, but as steve says: it’s unlikely that i’ll find anything

Just done the 500-ish miles wales tet, and the street riding was extremely exciting “rode it like i stole it” and killed half the rear wheel tread(tkc80), down to 5mm(from 10.7mm). With this fun-level indicator, am happy to buy new rubber more frequently, although i did miss knoblies when i tried to go off-piste up grassy inclines!

I must admit a bog-down when trying to open it up from a low rev(a more favourable wheeli at higher revs) so will explore exhaust and mapping options in greater depth

Oblix

Post by Oblix »

701 on the wales TET last week being thrown around a bit

Return to “BIKES”