Lazy starting !!!

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
PHILinFRANCE

Lazy starting !!!

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

This has got me proper baffled , the Donks battery is reading 13.3 standing and 14.4 on tick over and holding ,higher on 5k revs , starts fine but as the trip goes on it gets lazier and lazier untill its like a flat battery !!! but i test it and its reading 13 + and 14+ running !!!

Sounds to me like something is braking down as it gets hotter ..................am i miles away with that idea ? but if yes what could it be ?

Cheers Phil
WIBO

Re: Lazy starting !!!

Post by WIBO »

Zumo Rays,.....yes, Zumo Rays from Outer Space...........first thing to do Phil is to put your tin foil hat back on.....yes that'll help. Ping a pic to prove you've got it back on then you'll get a better response I'd say.....

:D

Will It Buff Out?
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

Hope it's not kaput, you'll have to apply for an Explosives Precursors and Poisons (EPP) licence. before you can get a new un

Seriously though,it sounds like it may have been overcharged and vented out the good stuff?...check your regulator perhaps?
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Is the battery going flat Phil or is it the starter playing up when hot ??
DaveCon

Post by DaveCon »

Could be something electrical breaking down. Could also be something mechanically jamming up with heat too. My son, who's a car mechanic, say he's seen car starter motors jam when they get hot. At the time we were pondering a BMW1000RR with the same problem. The cure was to fit a new one 'cos he wasn't paying for it :lol:

Have you had the starter assy. off recently? Try re-aligning the starter when it's hot. ;)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

If the batts 13.5 non running then 14. 4v at 4krpm the charger is fine.... What does batt reading drop to when lazy starting?... Could be a cell going down underload.... Try again when underload starting with lights on too.... And report back... If it 11v batt is fubared again.... Check connections and earths as its been in bits again...

Park it next to the ktm and do a monty python on it...
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Had similar on the XTZ.
Turned out the reg/rec was knackered it was slowly cooking the battery.
At times you could hear the battery bubbling away and a very strong smell of sulphur.
Had to replace battery and the reg/rec in the end.

How many things do you have on that are drawing power. You could be drawing more than you are generating :roll:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

sound like the rectifier ..can you swap out the one from donk 2 ?
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

Cheers Steve , i did a swap with them a month or 2 back but i suppose it could be that they both are failing they are both over 20 years old

Just tested it this morning and cold and engine off its reading 13 so only dropped 0.3 over night and 14.4 running :?
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Might still be the starter lazy when hot , or is the battery actually going flat ?

Return to “TECHNICAL”