Kids Electric Bikes

The Things We Ride
Cone

Kids Electric Bikes

Post by Cone »

So I was wondering if anyone has had experience of these before

https://www.funbikes.co.uk/p4542_green- ... -dirt-bike

My kid is a big 5 yr old and really confident on his bicycle and always saying to me 'when are you buying me a small motorbike daddy' :D

But i'm a bit adverse to a big investment bike/gear etc, these have 3 speed settings which i can control so he could learn at 5mph then 10 is then 16mph controlled by a key. My parents also have a big field for him to learn on.

So how have people done this before? Im guessing he could only ride on private ground but people have said that as its slow and electric noone really cares - although im sure my local community facebook group would say otherwise :lol: :lol:
cozi70

Re: Kids Electric Bikes

Post by cozi70 »

About 8 years ago I bought my wee lad(5) one of the first oset electronic trials bikes. Like this one you mentioned it had a variable speed controller and wee used it at the local trial venues,but I also took him to the local park and as he wasn't doing crazy speed and damaging the grass any observations made by took presumed it was just a silent fancy toy bike,as at you could here was a slight wine and the chain rattling in the full protection cover.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Seen people using those little electric bikes to teach ntheir kids to ride in parks, supermarket carparks (when it's quiet), but odd one on the fire break and gravel tracks in the New forest.
If you've got an easy section of green lane near you why not use that and take your mountain bike so you can ride along side. That way your close in case of a wee lie down and can give him tips on how to ride off road
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

I was nearly hit the other day in Manchester when this little girl (6 or 7 yr old??) came whizzing round the corner on a tiny electric "vespa".
Got to say it was a pretty nifty looking bit of kit and she was SO confident on it.
Dad followed behind on a bicycle, obviously knackered from trying to keep up.
By the time these kids grow up, electric bikes will probably be the norm.
I'd go for it mate. Yr lad is a lucky boy.
Cone

Post by Cone »

Yeah I measured his inside leg and at 51 cm he’s still a little small. It recommends 62cm and I expect will be much heavier than his bicycles.

So I’ll get it for him next year when he’s bigger. I suspect they’ll be cheaper then too

Return to “BIKES”