Hi fellow RE Himalayan owners, and all adventure riders!

If you're new to the site make your 1st post here. Tell us who you are, what you ride, your travel plans, bank account details etc.
gallen13

Hi fellow RE Himalayan owners, and all adventure riders!

Post by gallen13 »

Just got a Royal Enfield Himalayan, which I like very much. Adds to my Triumph Tiger 800.
Looking for tech info for home servicing, valve clearances especially.
I got charged for my first service!...is this normal?
nathanm

Re: Hi fellow RE Himalayan owners, and all adventure riders!

Post by nathanm »

Welcome to the club Gallen.

Owned mine for about 3 months now. Haven't done as many miles as I would have liked but used it on the trails a fair bit and really like it in the rough terrain. Pleasant enough on the road as well, as long as you're not in a mad hurry!

But yep, totally normal to get charged for first service (for all manufacturers generally I would think). Mine was £150 with a long time in the workshop having stuff checked. A few bikes needed a washer on the clutch assembly, mine being one of them, so that took some time. Same as you, I'm hoping to self service as the miles build up, and from what I gather there's not much movement in the valves once the first adjustment has been made, so those 3000 mile checks might quickly seem overly prudent and unneccessary, although I might flush the oil at every 3000 miles anyway.

There are a few forums on Facebook, this being one of them, with some handy information sharing and support....
https://www.facebook.com/groups/202269463693764/

Hope you enjoy the new bike!

Nathan

nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Forgot to say, the owners forum on Advrider.com is also a hive of knowledge for self servicing, especially as its just landed in the States, and many of those guys seem keen to self service.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/r ... 60/page-50
gallen13

Post by gallen13 »

Thanks for info.
I was told service interval is 4K miles...which would include valve gap check, apparently one of their mechs has done the Himalayan course.
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

In the book it says 3k miles for the valve check and 6k miles for oil and filter. I was speaking to a chap the other day who skipped his 3k mile service as he was out in Greece on it and so just had the major one done at 5500 miles. I think it cost him £160 and he said the valves hadn't moved. I think once miles have built up a lot of people will skip the 3000 mile service. Then it'll be a question of what happens in the event of a warranty claim if service intervals haven't been stuck to. But we'll see.
FatFreddy

Post by FatFreddy »

Welcome 😀
Enjoy yr Himalayan. I was REALLY tempted to buy one but in the end opted for something a little more at home on the motorway.
If I had the money for more than one bike, would definitely have got one.
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

My himalayan is up to nearly 2000 miles now, yes first service and subsequent £129. I'll be making the best of the warranty and getting it serviced by the dealer until the warranty runs out. I think like said before I'll be dropping to a 6k service when it's out of warranty and do this myself.

So far the only issue has been a strange noise at 4800rpm in any gear which turned out to be an issue of the tank not being positioned correctly but was all sorted out with no issues.

It's a great bike for Commuting and leisurely touring I've took it from the west mids to Minehead and London on the a roads. Perfect for me I want some cheap biking and I'm in no rush to get places.

I hope you enjoy your new purchase as much as I do!
nathanm

Post by nathanm »

Glad you found the source of the noise Mike. Mine had the same for a while but seems to have self cured. That's the kind of problem I like!
Mike Horton

Post by Mike Horton »

Nathan if it continues just a bit of rubber between the tank and frame by the seat should sort it
agrantg

Post by agrantg »

Just about to join the merry band of Himalayan owners. Just bought a white one which I will pick up next Saturday and looking forward to discovering the Scottish Borders roads where I live. Still have a big bike in the garage when required so am like the proverbial pig in the whatsit. Any other owners in this neck of the woods? Ali

Return to “WELCOME NEWBIE”