New ADV bike from SWM

The Things We Ride
Nico-D

Re: New ADV bike from SWM

Post by Nico-D »

catcitrus wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:43 pm The price--£7,600---now thats a bit close to a Husqvarna 701-which is about a grand more and has had the bugs sorted (arguably). Really too dear IMO.
Not a very fair comparison, a better comparison is the SWM 650R which like the Husky 701 is a basic 'big Traile/dual sport ' whatever you want to call it , can be had for 5700, nearly 3 k less than the husky.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWM-RS650-R- ... SwA3dYDhuF

The superdual version is kitted out already with larger tank, screen, centre stand etc. and looks like you have the nasty panniers included too. :roll:
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Nico-D wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:12 pm
catcitrus wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:43 pm The price--£7,600---now thats a bit close to a Husqvarna 701-which is about a grand more and has had the bugs sorted (arguably). Really too dear IMO.
Not a very fair comparison, a better comparison is the SWM 650R which like the Husky 701 is a basic 'big Traile/dual sport ' whatever you want to call it , can be had for 5700, nearly 3 k less than the husky.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWM-RS650-R- ... SwA3dYDhuF

The superdual version is kitted out already with larger tank, screen, centre stand etc. and looks like you have the nasty panniers included too. :roll:
Exactly, the 650R (which I test rode a couple of years ago) was in some ways, a nicer, softer bike than the Husky as an ADV bike I felt. The Husky was too race orientated for my needs. Panniers can be left behind :-)

The idea behind the Dual Sport is built ready to roll, subject to the usual issues with getting the fuelling right. Why do so many bikes (and cars etc) have to be so bloody awful on their fuelling. I know, I know, it's all down to the bloody emission regs in most cases. :evil:

The motor is a peach, and I understand the gearing has been altered in the box? I will have a proper look at ADV, as I had actuallyt been following the CafeHusky site. So many bloody forums to monitor!
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

daveuprite wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:09 pm
Exactly what I was thinking. It either needs to be as good as the 701 Huskie or it needs to be a lot cheaper. £1k difference is nothing really to get the 701's much superior handling and grunt.

The SWM looks nice and could make a good modern DR650 (although it needs to shave off about 25kgs really).

At least someone is still thinking that 'adventure' means genuinely going off-road. Otherwise, just buy a sports tourer and get a bike that handles on tarmac properly.
I reckoned the Husky was not going to be cheap to make it a usable ADV bike for MY needs... ;) At the time I was looking, there were not many extras available, I think that is a lot better now?

Once it had racks, better seat, screen, risers etc etc, it was going to be adding weight and costs.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Tramp wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:55 pm Steve.... Read the adv thread the auzzys have had them a while now and the bike has certain problems... Ecu flash needed and well read the huge thread....

I do like the look of the bike though... But too similar to my custom ccm lol
Thanks for the pointer Russ, I will tootle across and have a looksee 8-) I had come across some of the Aussie comments before, but missed the ADV thread. I was hoping that the 2018 spec, would have resolved some of the earlier issues... There is supposed to be a new ECU fitted for 2018.

Bring back the CDI and the CV carb I say.....
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Been looking around and as one would expect with a LOT of SWM's being sold in the land of Oz, the first test rides of the 2018 models are out there...

I found this Ride report which as ever with road tests, will not be too critical of a machine... ! They know who buys the advertising! http://bikereview.com.au/review-2018-sw ... -x-launch/

New fuelling on the 2018 model and a few tweaks extra. non switchable front ABS may be an issue.... but find the fuse will possibly sort that problem. Still needs a better seat/peg ratio, so tall seat and peg lowering required for those over 5'9. The deep seat cut-out looks to restrictive to my eyes too, no room to stretch and move about.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Had a car park test ride at Ed Fernihoughs (near Rugeley) today. Very nice guy and some nice, tasty toys in the showroom, old and new
:D

The SWM was one of the latest batch with a nicer colour scheme. No panniers fitted on the bike, but waiting to go on. Bike looks nice and decent build as was the case with the other SWM's I've looked at, and really looks the part with the 21/18 wheels and dual sport tyres. As before, the bike sounds great. Apparently, the 2018 models are remapped as they leave the showroom.

Sadly, not the bike for me as it stands, the seat/peg dimensions will suit a 28" inside leg perfectly, but waaay too tight for me. The higher seat or a modded seat will not work in my opinion, as the tank cut out and then the flare above the cut, out will STILL be hugely restrictive when standing. Risers may help a bit I suspect, but not enough. If you are 5'10" and stay sitting down the bike is ace. IMO, a hell of a lot of bike for the money...

If the RS650 R had a cush drive wheel out of the showroom, it has the potential to make a cracker of an ADV bike with some of the dual sport bits, screen etc. now available ,, but be more "off-roadable". I did ponder asking how much a Dual Sport back wheel was, but they are all ABS setups now...
;)

Return to “BIKES”