New m.o.t laws etc

Bikers and riding
scouse

Re: New m.o.t laws etc

Post by scouse »

Mikekitts81 wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:23 am Will it not work the same with faults were you can't take it home if it as certain faults ... and what is classed as a dangerous fault . Your brakes don't pass and there just under the right numbers / measurements then what .... Sorry you can't ride home your brakes are classed as a dangerous fault . That's the only bit of the m.o.t that always worrys me I change fluids and pads discs and I still stand there wondering if it will pass ...

Who lobbied for that ? Kwikfit or Halfords ?
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Dark Knight

Post by Dark Knight »

Yes you are right there, the garages are struggling for business so it is an attempt to trap business for them.
So you must only put your bike in for an MOT, if you have carefully checked it beforehand and you would be happy for the garage to to work on the bike.
There was a time before the MOT when the police would stop you if they thought that your vehicle was unroadworthy and get it tested by a competent engineer, if it failed you were in trouble.
Nowadays if you do not have a piece of paper, the certificate, which is only proof of a roadworthy vehicle for about a minute after the test you are charged.
Having said all that, I service my bikes to race level standard but would always get a second set of reliable eyes to check over the bikes, it is easily worth the money, better people than me have missed something and paid the ultimate price.
MattCrane

Post by MattCrane »

The changes coming into force on the 20May 2018 only apply to cars BUT there are changes coming for motorcycles but they will be applied at a later date. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ssion-data

There is a lot of talk about what changes can be made before a bike will fail its test especially concerning lights as it appears to be a very common modification, and from what I have read it is:

i) perfectly fine to fit uprated bulbs of the same type that are originally fitted ie halogen into halogen headlight unit
ii) it is not ok to fit a HiD bulb conversion into a halogen headlight unit this will fail
iii) it is ok to remove your complete halogen headlight unit and fit a complete LED headlight unit as it has been designed to be used with LED lights.

I may be wrong, (read that as probably wrong), but thats how it reads to me and I asked my MOT Tester and he said thats how it reads to him as well :)
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

on the last comment about lights I can't see a problem if the light SOURCE is in the right place to suit the reflector--I agree that fitting a crap christmas tree LED in place of a halogen, and having a consequent complete dispersal of the beam with no cut off is not on--but thats already picked up at the MOT with the beam tester--I know my MOT tester is pretty sharp on this already. Also with modern "cats eyes" type lenses you can't see what type of bulb lies behind it anyway. My Triumph has decent LEDs fitted and is fine for beam cut off---passed a couple of MOTs on the beam tester-I'll see what happens at the next MOT---maybe I'll have to put the stock H7 and H9 s back in--but they will be changed again after the MOT as the light is better and draws half the current. On a more general note a lot of modern cars with LEDs are , in my opinion, badly focused on dip as they seem to dazzle more readily--or is it simply that the light is too white?--I must admit that I don't do much riding at night and I'm more concerned with being seen during the day!
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

I use one garage for our cars and a different garage for our bikes, the reasons being that neither do repairs so have no vested interest in failing them and second because both garage's are ran by enthusiasts of the relevant vehicles.
Get to know your MoT testers and remain loyal to them ;)
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I was just going to say the same Tonibe63. I never put my bike to a bike shop for an MOT. I just use the car garage across the road from my work because they don't work on bikes but would never put my car there as they're rip off bastards as far as car repairs go.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Dark Knight wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:07 pm Yes you are right there, the garages are struggling for business so it is an attempt to trap business for them.
So you must only put your bike in for an MOT, if you have carefully checked it beforehand and you would be happy for the garage to to work on the bike..............
I don't think thats quite right mate,to be fair. I can't see a bunch of bureaucrats in London looking at pollution, accident stats and reports of severe dazzling and trying to determine appropriate legislation, would be particularly bothered about the business prospects of a load of greasemonkeys in the provinces. At least not as a direct outcome, it might be a side effect, but not the intended consequence. My mate is an MOT tester and sometimes you get , usually a car, where you might say , you can't drive that mate it's dangerous ' and the bloke says' you can't stop me, I'm off to London , it's been like that for months' etc. Well now there is legislation to put them on stop, it's how that is used by garages that will determine if it works or not.
I think the problem is cars and vans , with bikes everything is visible , with 4 wheelers it's nearly all all hidden.
Cone

Post by Cone »

I had my Audi MOT'd last month by a garage. But I sent my wife there with the car.

So it passed but came out with an advisor saying 'oil leaking shocks'

What they meant was that there was misting around the shock absorbers, which is fairly normal and cars can have that for years before they need replacing.

So the mechanic told my wife she needed to get all 4 replaced as it was dangerous and they were likely to fail in 3 months. He used this saying to emphasise the point to her. 'Do you feel sick when your in the car is it really bouncy' she replied no.

so i've check them over, they still rebound properly have minor misting on them, should they be in a condition to fail in 3 months he should not have passed the car....

So we will not be using that garage in future, infact we've said we will only use the local authority depots to get MOTs like they do in Ireland
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Aftermarket HiD bulbs are also a fail here in Spain, but the KTM passed with them fitted (I had also forgot to reconnect the stand switch which should be a fail). The examiner told me I had to push my bike out of the ITV center, with his assistance, and once we were out of sight of other examiners he told me they would need rectifying for the next inspection in 2020 but today he would pass it.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

I was reading today that any smoke colour coming out of your exhaust is an instant fail especially if there's some sort of dpf fitted.
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”