2018 Picos & Pyrenees - 10 days - All route days attached

Where you've been and what you done
RandG

Re: 2018 Picos & Pyrenees - 10 days - All route days attached

Post by RandG »

Get yourself the michelin maps 574/573...i think ??? And others, they are ace for road numbers and the ones with green borders are usually the best ones.
Hammy1

Post by Hammy1 »

https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Maps? ... 2C%20Spain

RandG many thanks again, the online version shows roads with green borders (above) do you think these are the same or is it just that the paper maps a better option? Thx Mark
RandG

Post by RandG »

In my opinion the paper maps are a far better option. Can pull them out anywhere and will cover a bigger distance than trying to pinch and scroll plus you won't ever need an internet signal for looking at your paper maps :P buy them, I promise you won't regret it.

In answer to your question, yes they are the same.

I passed through Vitoria on route to a moto trial, didn't look overly pleasing place btw.

In the Picos I would recommend staying in Poncebos, lovely road down there and a fantatsic hostel at the end which was cheap as chips with a nice restaurant as well.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

RandG wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:25 pm In my opinion the paper maps are a far better option. Can pull them out anywhere and will cover a bigger distance than trying to pinch and scroll plus you won't ever need an internet signal for looking at your paper maps :P buy them, I promise you won't regret it.

In answer to your question, yes they are the same.
Definitely plus 1 for that. Maybe buy the Green 'Zoom' series too as you have your trails on these!

As for Sort. I think that's the price you pay for having just a single idea. After all the so-called Smuggler's trail isn't really up to much, not for smugglers anyway as there's a bloody great customs post at the top ...

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Simon_100 wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:32 pmAs for Sort. I think that's the price you pay for having just a single idea. After all the so-called Smuggler's trail isn't really up to much, not for smugglers anyway as there's a bloody great customs post at the top ...
Golly that was grumpy! From what you say Sort should be OK for you and what you're planning to do. It's certainly a bustling place and you will eat and drink well - start out with traditional tapas at the Coyote bar ands work your way up to the Bar Moto Club, or, er, the other way around!

There's an interesting museum, one of several, dedicated to the use of the Pyrenees by both refugees for the Spanish Civil War fleeing into France and later in WW II in reverse fleeing form the Nazis, plus allied airmen having a go. Of the latter think all were caught and spent the rest of the war in internment at Sort, living the Life of Reilly in the local hotel according to the bills sent to the Foreign Office for their keep!

But there are amazing places in the mountains around Sort - and everywhere else come to think of it - and in general I think you are going to strike on elf the big drawbacks of touring by bike, namely you're stuck with the darn thing for transport to POI's where you are then stuck wearing your gear when what you really need are day clothes, walking boots, etc. especially if, like me, you're a nature lover with at least a bit of 'outward bound' in mind It's a Big Debate and I don't think anyone really knows the solution. For me I take trouble to find a camp site - I'm into camping - which has good walks in the immediate vicinity, take light walking sandals, shorts, etc. that I can pack away and double up as day clothes while I stop at one place for several days, some riding the bike without luggage and some scrabbling around in the mountains ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

We always keep our shorts etc in the top box for when we stop ........ bugger walking around in sweaty bike gear. A wire rope and padlock secures the bike gear to the bike.
We found Sort was a good base for a couple of days with great road and trail riding in all directions and reasonably priced. Plus you can dump the luggage and ride light for a change.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Tonibe63 wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:03 am We always keep our shorts etc in the top box for when we stop ........ bugger walking around in sweaty bike gear. A wire rope and padlock secures the bike gear to the bike.
We found Sort was a good base for a couple of days with great road and trail riding in all directions and reasonably priced. Plus you can dump the luggage and ride light for a change.
See what I mean! :D :D :D That's a sound argument for hard luggage in general. If some of your group are keen on walking for a day then an alternative to Sort would be to stay at Espot, where you get access to the Parc Nacional d'Aigüestortes u Estany de San Maurici by taxis that run every half hour or so. One right up in the mountains you can wander around all day but you might need something a bit stronger than light sandals.

If you stay at Rotes up in the Picos don't miss a trip up the cable car at Fuente De. Get there first thing in the morning before the crowds and rather than walking just have breakfast at the top with amazing views - you'll be glad if your bike gear as it¡s jolly cld up there! - then go back down a start your day's biking. :D

Regs

Simon

bikenav

Post by bikenav »

A mass of good info on this thread just what this Forum is good at Thanks to all contributors
RandG

Post by RandG »

The cable car up Fuente De is deffo worth the trip, it was snowing up top when I went up :lol:
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

RandG wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:00 pm The cable car up Fuente De is deffo worth the trip, it was snowing up top when I went up :lol:
...even in July!

Simon

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”