The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

The Things We Ride
Lairyskippy

Re: The Royal Enfield Himalayan ,great value.

Post by Lairyskippy »

It's been ages since I've been on the forum but having just tested a Himalayan I thought I'd see what people thought about it. Clearly some doubts, many about the original bike, but some positive views on the new fuel injected model. I've only ridden the latter and that was through the city centre in Murcia, Spain.

It felt nimble enough, comfortable and although not blessed with loads of power it's enough in most cases. Brakes were quite good and believe me, decent brakes are needed here!

I'm seriously considering buying one as a second bike living down here. It's too hot most of the time to be blasting around everywhere so the relaxed nature of the bike suits the climate well. There's more dusty tracks and trails than tarmac in this neck of the woods and I've ridden both a DRZ400 and a 690 R along most of the local ones..........and I could do all of them on the Himalayan without any trouble at all and that comes from someone with fairly basic off road skills.

Off to the dealers tomorrow to see if I can squeeze a bit more out of him for my part-ex and who knows, I could be heading to the hills in comfort........albeit at a rather sedate pace. :D
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

Forgot to say it's 4,395 euros over here so cheap as chips :D
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

Bollox, bought the thing now. Pick up next Thursday so we'll see how it goes (or not?) :D
Trev

Post by Trev »

Lairyskippy wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:23 pm Bollox, bought the thing now. Pick up next Thursday so we'll see how it goes (or not?) :D
That made me chuckle, bet the lump grows on you like my efi 500, the worst bike I have (apart from my 1971 step thru) but also one of the best and after four year a deffo keeper
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

I bloody hope it does :lol:
Barftone

Post by Barftone »

I test rode one a couple of weeks back and really enjoyed it. At £4200 on the road or £4700 with the decent alloy panniers it is relatively good value. Solid, suprisingly civilised, slow, rugged. If they hold together well and its a big if I think it may be a get a cult following in the adventure world. Stick some TKC,s on it.
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

When I was doing the deal here in Spain I was tempted by the luggage but in the official blurb it says the panniers are water resistant rather than waterproof. Sod that for 585 euros.

I've got a Giant Loop that'll fit just fine and even though it's not fully waterproof I can live with it using waterproof inner bags. Add a couple of 20litre Kriega bags on the sides of the tank and still room for sarnies on the rack.
big al

Post by big al »

WP_20180225_11_02_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20180225_11_02_32_Pro.jpg (165.69 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
Took the Himalayan out for a test ride on Saturday /Sunday and I got to say I was impressed by it. The quality is good, well as good as any other bike out there. Fueling is spot on , in any gear. Clocks are good ,slight listing on the taco, but nothing much. Pretty much vibe free in all gears, heated grips superb even on lowest setting , lights and spot lights brilliant even in daylight.
Downside for me, could Dow with a little more umph but it is what it is. I believe its very well made and at 70 to the gallon for me its a winner, I can even touch the ground with both feet 👣 flat. If your not in a hurry this is the bike for you. I had as much pleasure from riding around the country lanes at 30-50 mph all day and taking in the views as I do travelling abroad and doing thousands of miles in a week. This bike brought memories of my youth back , to the days of me riding lanes at a sedate pace and actually enjoying riding a bike again. It just goes to prove you don't need a 1000/1200 bike to have fun and pleasure when 411cc will do the same and bring that smile and fulfilment back again.
For me its a winner. Well done Royal Enfield 👍
WP_20180225_09_42_47_Pro.jpg
WP_20180225_09_42_47_Pro.jpg (143.26 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
Attachments
WP_20180225_14_19_28_Pro.jpg
WP_20180225_14_19_28_Pro.jpg (138.92 KiB) Viewed 4945 times
Tink

Post by Tink »

Anyone know where the closest royal Enfield dealer is near Northallerton North Yorkshire 🤔...

I'd like to test ride one👍
Toe

Post by Toe »

Tink wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:33 am Anyone know where the closest royal Enfield dealer is near Northallerton North Yorkshire 🤔...

I'd like to test ride one👍
Few options by the looks of it - https://royalenfield.com/uk/locateus/dealers
Dave Wood MC, York
D W MC, Scarborough
Eddys Moto, Shipley
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM

Return to “BIKES”