Wild Atlantic Way

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
DaveCon

Wild Atlantic Way

Post by DaveCon »

I'm thinking of travelling the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland this summer. I know a few people on here have already done it so; what month is the best time to go? Any "must see" bits, or must roads to experience? Any general tips, for example is camping an option or is it too wild and wet? :D
cozi70

Re: Wild Atlantic Way

Post by cozi70 »

DaveCon wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:23 am too wild and wet? :D
Mild and moist is how we describe it over here.
I've only done the northern part to Donegal so can't help much as I've only scratched the surface.
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Have done bits of it. Well signposted, however there are lots of single track roads running off it, lots of them lead to beaches. & potiental wild camp sites. Plenty of campsites/B&B's/hotels along the way.

Re "must see's and must do roads, plenty of this should come your way as you make your way round, however if you have the time to include them, look up "passes" and "gaps" in Ireland and maybe try and include some of them on your travels.

Enjoy & hope the weather is kind to you.
Spike941

Post by Spike941 »

This might be a link to my WAW write up from 2015, if I’ve got it right.

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... 21&t=40960
Flintlock

Post by Flintlock »

Enjoy reading that - must have missed it first time around.
Moto Bikemad

Post by Moto Bikemad »

Doesn't matter when "ye go the craic will be ninety" probably try and avoid August...
Best weather mostly May, between the wet and wetter season..
Enjoy....
Been there, seen that, fell off.....
lmac

Post by lmac »

Take plenty of brass (money for southern people) ;) .
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

DaveCon wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:23 am I'm thinking of travelling the Wild Atlantic Way in Ireland this summer. I know a few people on here have already done it so; what month is the best time to go? Any "must see" bits, or must roads to experience? Any general tips, for example is camping an option or is it too wild and wet? :D
My first time on the Wild Atlantic Way on motorbike was in 1975 and apart from one trip on it with my son when we went B&B I have always camped on it.
Weather can be variable and my advice is follow the weather. If you have a preset plan and you arrive to start at one end and its chucking rain but sunshine at the other end, go for the good weather. If you are camping then you will be able to be flexible.
I still travel the WAW and still camp on it. Wild camp at Fanore just north of the Cliffs of Moher. Lots do it and on a nice evening its awesome.
Other must see places:
Donegal Grianan of Aileach ring fort. You will find another down in Kerry near Castlecove
Galway/Connemara: Clifden Sky Road, best seen North to south.
Connemara is best done in a figure of 8. Galway to Maam Cross to Leenane to Louisburgh to Westport to Leenane to Clifden [and Sky Road] to Galway. Lots of places for camping on that.
Clare: Doolin is a good spot and if you have time take a day/overnight trip out to the Aran Islands.
Kerry: Camp on Dingle peninsula at Inch Beach or out at Dunquin/Ventry. South to North take in Slea Head Drive and Conor Pass.
Cork: Camp at Bantry [Eagle Point] and do a loop out to Kenmare via Caha Pass. Take the Ring of Kerry if you wish then come back via Kenmare to Healy Pass to Eagle Point. Healy Pass is best north to south.

A lot of recommendation is do go south to north but some parts are much better seen travelling north to south so worth factoring in some stopovers to make some loops.

Don't forget the North Antrim Coast [Torr Head Drive] and the Mournes. Some of the best scenery is up there and great roads and camping places.

Don't over think or over plan it. Just go.

You won't see all in one short trip. So may be better to make a base for a few days then move on another bit and do a few more days.

Don't budget for a faster average than 30mph. Its just too tempting to keep stopping for photos and coffee. Bring rain gear as one should but all I do is make sure my tent has some shelter from wind direction in case of rain. Sewn in groundsheet tent, flysheet pitch first type is a must really.

I am in Cork and always happy to meet for a coffee or whatever.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

A little pointer for anyone travelling the Wild Alantic Way.

North to South means travelling from Donegal to Cork. South to North means travelling Cork to Donegal.

Directions normally saying best seen north to south means as if you are travelling in the direction from Donegal to Cork. However by compass you may be travelling northwards in places to do this so be careful of advice regarding direction of travel.

I don't have it all mapped, been doing it since I was 14 so its in my head. Plus, I just go to places that look nice and if I see somewhere I like I happily go there.

In my book its the most enjoyable way to see it but folk differ. I spent an idyllic week of sunshine wild camped on a beach at Ballinskelligs in Kerry and explored Ring of Kerry, Valentia, Beara [West Cork] and Dingle from there. A morning swim, evening supper cooked on a Primus sitting on the beach in the evening sun. No hotel can come near these things. My companion was a Danish guy who was camped there when I arrived, travelling on a BMW R69S that was of course black. He also was 'wandering Ireland' as he put it.

Another one not far from there was camping on the beach at Rossbeigh.

A fabulous lake side one for anyone who might combine bikes with fishing was up at Caragh Lake. There a tent, also another foreign traveller, in the morning a most beautiful day this old lady living near was outside when we were wandering and she started talking to us and stories about her family who had all emigrated. the upshot was invite in for breakfast and an all you could possibly eat breakfast was put out for us. Same again the next day too. All she wanted was some company and chat but it made my trip too.

I like the slow pace of wild camping and its nice to embrace it some times.

Wild Atlantic Way is as slow or as fast as you want it.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

Here is the official site in case you need it : https://www.wildatlanticway.com/home/

As far as unmissable points go there are 21 signature points that are unmissable and may hundreds of other points that really are unmissable too :D they are all marked on the route.

The route itself is so easy to follow ; if heading N just follow the WAW(N) signs, if south follow the WAW(S) signs. They are at every junction.

There is also a WAW passport which you can buy in a post office along the route. Then you stop off in other post offices along the route and get it stamped for all the sights. There is well over 100 stamps to collect and it only costs a tenner. Great fun.

Here’s a report I did from a few years ago : https://tbni.blog/2015/11/17/the-wild-a ... awin1week/
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography

Return to “TRAVEL”