I feel robbed

The essential art of farkling.
Mikekitts81

I feel robbed

Post by Mikekitts81 »

Bought a new helmet today for racing as well as going out and about the bell mx9 mips adventure ... great fit lovely feel when on and the acu gold sticker I've been after ... I do feel robbed though I go online and I can get them for 100-150 but there europena sourced so no gold sticker I paid 200 for same helmet with a gold sticker yea it doesn't break the bank and is cheap but I feel I've paid and extra 100-50 just for a acu gold sticker and I feel robbed ... Robin Hood as well and truly been and fleeced me ha ha here's some pics anyway
IMG_20180206_1504048.jpg
IMG_20180206_1504048.jpg (118.58 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
IMG_20180206_1503520.jpg
IMG_20180206_1503520.jpg (130.73 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
IMG_20180206_1503269.jpg
IMG_20180206_1503269.jpg (106.9 KiB) Viewed 4012 times
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
daveuprite

Re: I feel robbed

Post by daveuprite »

Next time ask on the forum Mike. I live in France and I've got several ex-UK bought racing helmets all with gold ACU stickers on them. I'd happily peel one off and send it to you - they mean nothing to me anymore.

However they do change the sticker design / numbering now and again to prevent this, and some little Hitler Youth scrutineer might notice, so perhaps it would be better to buy one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-ACU- ... SwZ~lZqpwS
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

I don't know how true it is but even for competition you dont need the gold sticker.

I bought a Uvex helmet from FC Moto. of course being a European helmet it didn't have the gold sticker, instead the ECE number is on a tag on the chin strap i was assured that this was compliant with UK racing and insurances. I did double check with my insurance company and they were quite happy with it in fact they were more thatn happy as many helmets do not have the ECE tag but just had a sticker on the back which can be easily bought of of ebay.

Double check though with the governing body whether this would be acceptable in competition. they may just want to verify that you helmet conforms to the ECE standard
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

I think Bell essentially use a rebranded THH helmet? --certainly looks like it (THH is a BIG company based in Taiwan who make for themselves and other "named " brands"--Bell included). I'm on my second THH--this time with a flip down sunvisor--and an ACU Gold sticker. I think that they had to go for a double D ring chin fastener instead of the earlier (and much easier) ratchet system to get the ACU approval. Anyway, a great fitting helmet (for my head shape at least)--and a bargain for way under 100 notes. Also they have a central outlet in Belgium I believe-and I have obtained spares direct from them in the past.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

There are cheaper non-MIPS ones about.

I just got a MIPS one, but it's still in the box.

No motorbikes for me ATM...too much else to do.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

nice colour .. and nice pretty sticker
?

I got a cheap one (nice black flip up) HJC .... ooooo .. just noticed its got a gold sticker on the back ... ohohohoooooo
thrilled to bits
it was £175 .. a huge investment fro me :roll: (usually £50 is my max for a helmutt) ..
crap!!

so u aint done too bad, mate 8-)
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

These were the kids that the adventure bike stand at the NEC were using.

Very comfortable and a bit of a bargain.
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

I thought you only needed the gold ACU sticker for closed circuit competition use? For road use, they need a BSi or ECE label.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Mikekitts81

Post by Mikekitts81 »

yea you do only need the acu gold sticker for competition circuit but in some off road comps you can just have a silver acu couldnt tell you the difference though maybe one better impact rate etc but anyway that s what i got it for . the fit as said before is a good comfortable fit and iam quite impressed the visor doesnt want to steam up at all and the helemt seats well .. i did want the scorpion adx adventure helemt but was no chance of getting one with. a sticker as acu standards say it as to be a full face hemet no flip fronts allowed dont no why didnt ask . so will buy that one next or the nexx nearly popped in adeventurebikerwarehouse other day to see if there was any in as i took loads a kids down to manchester united training ground at cliffs and it only round corner .mcdonalds breakfast come first though and aftert that didnt get time . i cant fault the helemt its just the fact ive paided the extra for a little gold sticker. maybe the ebay sticker next time then :)
All things built not bought . The only way is adventure .
Toe

Post by Toe »

I imagine flip fronts wouldn't be allowed due to frontal impact and how the locking mechanism for it holds out, this is shown as 'Latch %' for SHARP testing. Not personally saying some aren't great in this respect, just what I think would be the reasoning. Also a lot lot of flip fronts weren't ever tested for frontal impact and only 'tested as an open face helmet' so no frontal impact tests were performed at all.
A quick google also told me you can buy a gold sticker directly from the ACU :lol: Don't know if this is still the case
DRZ 400 Daytona 675 | BEL ESP FRA GBR
KHM IDN LAO MMR PHL THA VNM

Return to “ACCESSORIES”