Parking Fine.......what do you think?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
SteveW

Parking Fine.......what do you think?

Post by SteveW »

I parked my wife's car in Leeds. I'm not a local, I've may be been 4/5 times before.
I tried to pay on a car park, but the machine was out of order, a sign next to the pay machine directed me to either download a parking AP or use a mobile to access an automated payment system.
Well, I didn't have a phone with me......I know that's incredible in this age, but I'm pretty sure still not illegal.
When I was driving up to the car park I'd seen a line of cars parked by the side of the road.
So I slotted the car into a gap in the line.
I left the car overnight, I returned to the car the following morning (Saturday) there was a parking ticket on the windscreen.
I moved the car and checked the curb side, under a pile of detritus I could just about make out a single yellow line.
I looked for the parking restriction notice and yes it was there, about 25 metres from where I parked, obviously I'd not noticed it before I parked.
I appealed the fine, this morning I received a standard email (four months later) informing me that my appeal was unsuccessful.
Here's a picture of my parking spot just after I moved the car.
IMG_0200.JPG
IMG_0200.JPG (246.62 KiB) Viewed 3361 times
Leeds council obviously don't clean their streets.
What does the panel think?
Is a parking restriction only legal when a yellow line and a notice explaining the restriction is on view?
If this is the case, surely the council have a duty to ensure BOTH are clearly visible and really can't expect to rob me of £35?
I think I'll just pay it and except that Leeds is a shit hole, with a has-been football club and the birthplace of Jimmy Savile.
johnnyboxer

Re: Parking Fine.......what do you think?

Post by johnnyboxer »

Leeds is ok
Up and coming financial centre
Couple of decent hospitals
Some very good shopping and architecture in the Victorian quarter
University is good too
All in all a lot better than some other northern cities
Shame you fecked up on the parking front - but it's only £35 and to you that's loose change
I'd just pay it to get rid of the annoyance
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I got 35£ fine when I parked where there were not even yellow lines or curb marks. The notice was small and in a dark colour and could hardly be seen. nailed to a wall a fair way away. I had parked there many times in my van but this was the first time in a car. It was vans only apparently but only for that period of time.
I was a tad annoyed.
I had to pay.
I read somewhere that even if a yellow line can not be seen or is temporarily removed etc that the parking restriction still applies and it is our responsibility to know.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

I think it might be worth appealing properly. There is no way that those parking lines could have been seen in the dark what with the leaves and overhanging branches. I think you would have a good case if you took a load of pictures in daylight and the dark . The lines are simply not visible. If it was outside LGI on a clear street with clear markings there would be no reasonable defence. The question is, as has been said , is it worth all the fuss.
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

I think you would have a hard time fighting the parking on the basis you didn’t have the means to pay. In the picture you can see single yellow lines on all the other roads edges so to have one small section without lines on the same road would have been unusual. Only after getting the ticket did you check for the parking restrictions, which you could have done when parking up seen no as the other sections of road had such restriction in place.

I assume this is just off Kirkstall Road in Leeds.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Yes, I think it's just off Kirkstall Road. I think there was a pool (8ball) bar nearby. We were staying at the Ibis hotel.
I had the means to pay I had my wallet with me, but my mobile phone was in my coat, which was half a mile away in the hotel room.
What helped to trick me was there was a line of cars parked, I slotted (very neatly I'll add) into a gap in the line.
I'm going to pay and put it down to experience, with me being a Lancastrian and mostly riding motorbikes, I'm a bit naive when it comes to The NazI State's doctrine regarding car-driving non-Yorkshire Sub-humans.
I hope they spend my £35 well.....a Blue Plaque on Jimmy's childhood home?
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

SteveW wrote:Yes, I think it's just off Kirkstall Road. I think there was a pool (8ball) bar nearby. We were staying at the Ibis hotel.
I had the means to pay I had my wallet with me, but my mobile phone was in my coat, which was half a mile away in the hotel room.
What helped to trick me was there was a line of cars parked, I slotted (very neatly I'll add) into a gap in the line.
I'm going to pay and put it down to experience, with me being a Lancastrian and mostly riding motorbikes, I'm a bit naive when it comes to The NazI State's doctrine regarding car-driving non-Yorkshire Sub-humans.
I hope they spend my £35 well.....a Blue Plaque on Jimmy's childhood home?
If you were on Kirkstall Road you weren't far from Jimmy's old home where he was born
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
bill_qaz

Post by bill_qaz »

£35 is cheaper than a days car parking in some cities. Once got find with a valid ticket displayed for not being in a designated bay and they refused to refund the ticket price against the fine :roll:
Or paid the London congestion charge online and entered wrong date, had to pay again for correct date and guess what they don't do refunds :!:

We live and learn and usually lose :lol:
TomBoyNI

Post by TomBoyNI »

bill_qaz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:01 pm
We live and learn and usually lose :lol:
Exactly.

Just out of curiosity did all those other motors end up with a ticket?
Boo :-p

https://tbni.blog
Motorcycling | Technology | Photography
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

You have a few chances.

The lines must be continuous and terminate correctly (the end T thing).

The line must be accompanied by a sign and the signs must be visible, so at reasonable distances apart.

Check if the road has actually got restrictions in place (some don't and are lined anyway).

There are a few websites covering the legalities of lines and signage, so worth a bit of research.

I once got off on a double yellow in Glasgow because there was no signage visible from where I parked and the lines were all broken up. The only reason I appealed was because the warden didn't put the ticket on my car, as I drove off before she could finish writing it. It was the days before they took photos. But she claimed she had. Lying B!*ch!

Return to “THE PUB”