CB500X

The Things We Ride
Mosel Bikes

Re: CB500X

Post by Mosel Bikes »

It's proved to be so good, for all the reasons you state, that I'm keeping mine.
I'm considering the RR stage III upgrades too. Can I ask what the total parts cost for DIY fitting?
Thanks, MIke
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
Slowrider

Post by Slowrider »

Hi Mike,

So, it all depends on what you are after, they offer 3 levels of suspension upgrade. Their website details all the options available with prices.

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/honda-cb500x-cb500f

But I also added a few extras, also available from their website :

- wheels sealed to allow run tubeless tyers
- Barkbaster hand guards
- plastic engine case covers
- fork gaiters
- Renthal Fat Bars
- Tutoro chain oiler
- soft pannier racks
- Heavy Duty Foot Rests (these from Rally Raid are amazing, standing is a breeze)
- Giant Loop Siskiyou panniers and Diablo Tank Bag (but I am now looking at the new Lone Rider Panniers.

Also, go with the upgraded rear shock with remote preload adjuster. Oh....... life is so so simple now to change preload when dumping the camping gear and panniers for some offroad fun.

I think I spent about ยฃ3k with all the bits including the excellent TKC 80's. But mine is now full-on and can go up mountains (off to the Atlas mountains and the Sahara on it in April).

There are some excellent videos that an American chap did upgrading his bike to Level 3. I used them as a reference when doing mine.

Jenny Morgan has lots of videos on you-tube putting the bike really through its paces, so does a chap in Australia on muddy single track, so just do a search on the CB500X and Rally Raid.

I did a little blog post highlighting some of the minor issues due to my incompetence and my solutions.
https://slowrideradventures.blogspot.co.uk/2017/07/

Trail Riders Fellowship Members get a 10% discount when ordering, something I only found out after :-(
https://www.facebook.com/pg/RallyRaidPr ... e_internal

It really is an easy upgrade to do. I spent the last 20+ years developing computer games, so had to teach myself how to use a spanner and hammer. I now have a very good selection of hammers.

A word of warning though. Rally Raid have become a victim of their own success. They make most of the stuff in-house (I know, I visited the factory as part of my research and they are very nice people) and there are now long lead times on some of the parts. So make sure you order well in advance of any specific trip, I arranged several deliveries so I could make progress while waiting for the long lead time items.

Happy to talk more about specifics.

Ian
CB500 X with Rally Raid Level 3 Upgrade
Toured in : ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ท ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฑ ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ฎ ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ด ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ฐ ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐Ÿ‡ช ๐Ÿ‡ซ๐Ÿ‡ฎ ๐Ÿ‡ฒ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

BMW R1200C - Bought new in 2000 and I am still in love with it
Mosel Bikes

Post by Mosel Bikes »

Thanks for the helpful and full reply Ian. I'll take a look.
Greyhound Racing .... don't bet, don't go - you bet, they die :cry:
JMoandpiglet

Post by JMoandpiglet »

Yep, they're an excellent all-rounder... with plenty of accessory and upgrade options if you want to improve the weaker/more budget elements of the base bike.

Jx
UKJeeper

Post by UKJeeper »

JMoandpiglet wrote: โ†‘Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:27 am Yep, they're an excellent all-rounder... with plenty of accessory and upgrade options if you want to improve the weaker/more budget elements of the base bike.

Jx
Seconded! :D

newm_p

Post by newm_p »

The attachment 7C1460EA-A885-4ACC-9871-B3FC72846631.jpeg is no longer available
Attachments
7C1460EA-A885-4ACC-9871-B3FC72846631.jpeg
7C1460EA-A885-4ACC-9871-B3FC72846631.jpeg (162.42 KiB) Viewed 3025 times

Return to โ€œBIKESโ€