The 2018 Africa Twin

The Things We Ride
Andi_Archer

The 2018 Africa Twin

Post by Andi_Archer »

https://expeditionportal.com/2018-crf10 ... adventure/

KEY FEATURES
•Africa Twin Adventure Sports has a larger fairing matched with an 80-millimeter taller screen to offer greater wind protection, and comes standard with heated grips and a 12-volt accessory socket, facilitating longer tours in wide-ranging conditions.

•The Adventure Sports model comes standard with larger sump guard and front light bars, as well as brushed aluminum cowling panels, rear mudguard, and easily removable steel rack.

•The Adventure Sports model has a larger, 6.37-gallon fuel tank (compared to 4.97 gallons on the standard model), extending range.

•Both the CRF1000L Africa Twin models now have auto-canceling turn indicators.

•The seat in the Adventure Sports model features a flatter profile and a 1.2-inch-taller height than the standard model. The seat adjusts .8 inches, for a seat height of either 35.4 inches or 36.2 inches (compared to 33.5 inches and 34.3 inches). Handlebar position is 1.3 inches higher and .2 inches rearward compared to the standard version.

•Adventure Sports model has a storage pocket on rear right.

•On both models, the rider’s foot pegs are now wider and affixed via stouter steel mounting plates, whereas the passenger foot-peg hangers have been redesigned to allow more room for the rider’s feet when standing.

•On both models, instruments are positioned at a shallower angle to allow the rider to see them more easily from a standing position.

•Adventure Sports model has an updated, longer-travel Showa suspension, resulting in 10.6 inches of ground clearance (compared to 9.8 inches). On both models, shock preload, rebound damping, and compression damping are fully adjustable.

•Both models have compact two-piece, radial-mount, four-piston front-brake calipers and “wave” floating rotors front and rear. The lightweight two-channel ABS can be turned off at the rear.

•Both models feature front and rear wheels in size 21 and 18 inches, respectively, with stainless-steel spokes for improved durability.

•On both models, the 998cc SOHC eight-valve parallel-twin engine is updated with a new airbox, now featuring a 20-millimeter longer funnel length and matched to redesigned exhaust internals that significantly improve midrange response and sound quality.

•On both models, the engine’s balancer-shaft weights have been lightened by 10.6 ounces for added character and feel in power delivery.

•The water pump is housed within the clutch casing, with a thermostat integrated into the cylinder head, while water and oil pumps are driven by the engine’s balancer shafts, contributing to a compact engine and optimum ground clearance.

•New for 2018, a lithium-ion battery is 5.1 pounds lighter than the previous lead-acid unit.

•Both versions available with Honda’s advanced automatic Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), delivering consistent, quick, seamless gear changes on-
road or off. Rider can select from three different shifting modes, and a G switch enhances off-road functionality by reducing the amount of clutch slip during gear changes.

•New for 2018, both Africa Twin models have a Throttle-By-Wire system (TBW), opening the door to four individual riding modes and an expanded Honda Selectable Torque Control (HSTC) system.

•HSTC now features seven levels (up from three), to adapt to a wide variety of conditions. HSTC can also be completely switched off, and three levels of power and engine braking are available.
Boggs

Re: The 2018 Africa Twin

Post by Boggs »

Very nice indeed

:D
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

According to Honda Norway 245kg or over 250kg for the DCT :o :shock:
Don't drop it....
Oblix

Post by Oblix »

Hmm, time to upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
scotsy

Post by scotsy »

They must have been reading the AT forums :lol:
dibbs

Post by dibbs »

Well Honda seems to have at least listened to the buying public and fixed all the niggly bits that people have highlighted as being bad! well done Honda. I hope the new bash plate fits my 2016 model as I want one... :D
JJay51

Post by JJay51 »

dibbs wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:11 am Well Honda seems to have at least listened to the buying public and fixed all the niggly bits that people have highlighted as being bad! well done Honda. I hope the new bash plate fits my 2016 model as I want one... :D
I can't believe that the public asked for a fatter bike with no more power to lug it around with :lol:
Oblix

Post by Oblix »

Power’s fine for me, glad it’s not a twitchy high powered engine.. it doesnt wheelie like the 1200 gs, but served me fine down the autobauhn at 105mph for 4 hours solid(@5k revs) both panniers and a top box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
RandG

Post by RandG »

Test rode the DCT model today, fantastic, anyone want to buy a Tenere 660 8-)
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

qcnr wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:56 am According to Honda Norway 245kg or over 250kg for the DCT :o :shock:
Don't drop it....
Bugger.......thats still way to heavy, well for me anyway.... :lol:

Return to “BIKES”