Waterless coolant?

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
exrm193

Waterless coolant?

Post by exrm193 »

Anyone use a waterless coolant on their bikes?

Any good?

Thanks
zimtim

Re: Waterless coolant?

Post by zimtim »

When I did my coolant change in the 950 a couple years back I looked into the waterless coolants. After weighing up all the pros and cons it really came down to price. I went with Engine Ice in the end. It is a premixed coolant that has had some good reviews and recommended on the KTM forum.
Sorry can't actually help with your query but thought this may be a help of sorts
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

I used the Putoline Ice Cooler on my KTM 990. Basically the same stuff as Engine Ice. The KTM would always run hot with the fan running whilst moving slow but after changing the coolant it was rare that the fan to came on so can only assume it was more efficient and transferring the heat.
The downsides are that you're advised to throughly clean out the old coolant first. I flushed mine with the hose pipe first then filled it with white vinegar and water mix ran it until hot and drained. Surprised by how much gunk came out, which probably helped the cooling too
skygod

Post by skygod »

Been using Evans coolant for years and its never let me down.
The great philosopher Keating once said:

"Life`s a roller coaster, you just have to ride it".
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Evans waterless is slightly less efficient than a glycol water mix and your engine will run slightly hotter, the advantage or it is it will not boil off untill it hits a silly temperature, so you are far less likely to lose your coolant through the vent hose if you overheat.

Some Americans swear by it and if you are planning trips across uninhabited deserts it could be good insurance, here in the UK absolutely no point. I have come across one rotax 912 engine using it as the pilot had fallen for the myth that it afforded greater cooling
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

I had this in my S10 and I never had an issue the other selling point to it is because there is no pressure build up in the system the coolant seals and the pump are under less stress also it won't carrode
Every day is an adventure
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I have been wondering about having it put in S10, am I right in thinking that once in you never need to change it? save having the coolant replaced every couple of years.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Seminole wrote: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:46 am Evans waterless is slightly less efficient than a glycol water mix and your engine will run slightly hotter, the advantage or it is it will not boil off untill it hits a silly temperature, so you are far less likely to lose your coolant through the vent hose if you overheat.

Some Americans swear by it and if you are planning trips across uninhabited deserts it could be good insurance, here in the UK absolutely no point. I have come across one rotax 912 engine using it as the pilot had fallen for the myth that it afforded greater cooling
The point of Evans is that it has a significantly higher boiling point than at which the engine can actually operate, so it wont ever boil, it simply can't, the engine would stop working prior to it reaching boiling point. Since it doesn't vapourize, therefore doesn't create extra pressure in the cooling system like standard coolant does when it overheats. I've used it for a long time, for example when I bought my 2014 450 exc I put it in that. I haven't needed to top it up, change it or otherwise mess with it since, a nd that bike has been raced, rallied, raced in dunes, used for offroad trips, etc etc. Like Skygod, I'll always use it no matter what. btw, utter nonsense that the engine runs hotter with it, it doesn't. We've tested with probes both here and desert use.
willywombat64

Post by willywombat64 »

been a fair bit of controversy about this iirc

Grim Reaper

Post by Grim Reaper »

I use Evans in my 1200GSA, KTM 690 and Caterham.
No issues for me.

Return to “TECHNICAL”