Finance's on your travels

The black art of moving from A to B on foreign soil
sid.

Finance's on your travels

Post by sid. »

Off on a 13 day trip in two weeks, my traveling buddies are taking a wad of euros ( split into smaller wads ) i was in the post office today and they was telling me about their pre loaded credit card, seems like a good idea, better excange rare, if lost or stolen can be replaced in 24 hrs. Free for the card and 2 euros per transaction. anyone used one or got an alternative suggestion. Cheers sid
Tonibe63

Re: Finance's on your travels

Post by Tonibe63 »

We had a preloaded card for America a couple of years ago and had 2 problems .....1) not everywhere accepted that card and 2) some hotels charged a deposit which is refunded 10 days later which meant we ran out of credit on that card and when it was refunded we were already back home ...... feckin useless.
Cash and debit card is all I use now.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

just take cash and a debit card, most petrol is card and hotel . the pre loaded card wont work every where they cant replace it in two days . just enjoy the holiday and stop over thinking it . the exchange rate wont matter as it changes all the time .
I am spadger

Post by I am spadger »

If you use these pre loaded cards at petrol station pumps , tolls , you'll quickly run out of cash as they take a set amount as deposit each time , can take up to 14 days to be put back , fortunately I checked the small print on the one we had and only used it for cash points , which was free , depending on the supplier you can get a better exchange which doesn't alter once loaded , but their use is limited
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

I wouldn't use Pre pay cards they're problematic, I rate than along side travellers cheques as a PITA and outdated due to the introduction of fee free cards. As there's still time to apply online for one before you go why see if you can get hold of a fee free card such as the Halifax clarity, and Santander Zero. Use the card for fuel purchases, hotels and tolls, then use cash for misc spending. Then use your debit card for ATM withdrawals along the way.

Just remember to inform the card issuers your going on holiday so they don't block the card abroad
Last edited by Peirre on Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

Used one for a few years. No problems just don't use them at prepay petrol stations.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

I just use my debit card, on which transactions are charged at 2½%, and if I want cash I draw some out of an ATM. Simple :o
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

The Halifax Clarity MasterCard was designed for foreign travel. No charges for transactions, business rate of exchange and no charge for drawing cash if you pay it off on the same day.
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Another one with a Clarity card here. Recommended. I use whenever and wherever I can. A relatively small amount of cash then goes a long way.
skygod

Post by skygod »

Been using a caxton FX card for years now. Free and very easy to load more Euros in seconds if you run out.

Highly recommend

https://www.caxtonfx.com/currency-cards/
The great philosopher Keating once said:

"Life`s a roller coaster, you just have to ride it".

Return to “TRAVEL”