Refused fuel..!!

Bikers and riding
devonuk

Refused fuel..!!

Post by devonuk »

Today I was out and about with the Mrs on our GSA and I pulled into a Petrol Station to fill up. As usual the wife jumped off and ready to pay whilst I remained sat on the bike keeping it upright. I then reached out, took the nozzle, placed it into the tank and squeezed for fuel... squeezed again and again and again without success.
Then over the tannoy came the message.... Number 4 you're not having any fuel until you get off of the bike! WTF..?
I complied with the instruction but didn't really want to.... Then upon entering the shop to pay (whilst wearing my full face helmet :shock: ) I questioned the instruction to get off the bike and was informed it was the Law..?
Any thoughts?
Has anyone else had to do this?
Andi_Archer

Re: Refused fuel..!!

Post by Andi_Archer »

Bollox........more like a self serving NIMBY
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Extract from HSE web site

Case 319 - Motorcyclist told to remove helmet and get off the motorcycle whilst refuelling
Issue

The enquirer, whilst refuelling a motorcycle at a filling station, was asked to remove their safety helmet before the pump was switched on. Then on another occasion they were asked to get off the motorcycle before refuelling. The enquirer wrote to the supermarket filling station CEO requesting an explanation and was told this was for ‘Health and Safety’ reasons.

Panel decision
Requiring motorcyclists to remove their helmets at filling stations is not a health and safety issue. It appears to be a measure to discourage and prevent fuel theft. This is understandable but the filling station should be clear about the real reason.
Requiring motorcyclists and passengers to dismount and place the motorcycle on its stand during refuelling is a sensible measure which is stated in the Energy Institute’s guidance on petrol station refuelling. It enables better control of the refilling operation, reduces the risk of spilling fuel on clothes, high temperature parts of the motorcycle itself and on the forecourt. A clearer explanation by the supermarket of the logic behind both of these requirements would have been helpful.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Earwig wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 7:18 am Extract from HSE web site

Case 319 - Motorcyclist told to remove helmet and get off the motorcycle whilst refuelling
Issue

The enquirer, whilst refuelling a motorcycle at a filling station, was asked to remove their safety helmet before the pump was switched on. Then on another occasion they were asked to get off the motorcycle before refuelling. The enquirer wrote to the supermarket filling station CEO requesting an explanation and was told this was for ‘Health and Safety’ reasons.

Panel decision
Requiring motorcyclists to remove their helmets at filling stations is not a health and safety issue. It appears to be a measure to discourage and prevent fuel theft. This is understandable but the filling station should be clear about the real reason.
Requiring motorcyclists and passengers to dismount and place the motorcycle on its stand during refuelling is a sensible measure which is stated in the Energy Institute’s guidance on petrol station refuelling. It enables better control of the refilling operation, reduces the risk of spilling fuel on clothes, high temperature parts of the motorcycle itself and on the forecourt. A clearer explanation by the supermarket of the logic behind both of these requirements would have been helpful.
Bloody good answer. Well done for the work involved to find it.

Personally, I have no problem with either the helmet or get off. Having said that, they are under no obligation to serve anyone, same as an ordinary shop, especially if you do not comply with their requests.
They are also quite within their rights to ask you to leave their property and not give a reason, just as you and I are to anyone on our property.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

I can't think of anything more awkward or risky than filling the bike while sitting on it.
I saw a guy totally flood himself with petrol on a sportsbike a few years ago when it blew back all over him - very very scary.

Most bikes say to fill on the prop stand anyway and in most cases, you have to get off to pay (unless you have staff ;) ).
It's also usually nice to take your helmet off for a few minutes as well.

It's not bothered me in 45 years of riding. Even in the old days of served petrol, I would still get off the bike for the same reasons.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

DavidS wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:10 am I can't think of anything more awkward or risky than filling the bike while sitting on it.
I saw a guy totally flood himself with petrol on a sportsbike a few years ago when it blew back all over him - very very scary.

Most bikes say to fill on the prop stand anyway and in most cases, you have to get off to pay (unless you have staff ;) ).
It's also usually nice to take your helmet off for a few minutes as well.

It's not bothered me in 45 years of riding. Even in the old days of served petrol, I would still get off the bike for the same reasons.
Yep, I can't think why anyone would want to point a loaded petrol nozzle at their "gentlemen's area"
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
bowber

Post by bowber »

As above I too think it's safer​ to refuel while the bike is on it's stand, disregarding​ any discomfort would you like to be responsible for the cleanup if you dropped your bike while filling up? You may never have had a problem but it does happen, just a few weeks ago a filling station local to me was shut down for a few days after a motorist spilled a bit of oil while topping up his engine oil, the oil must have run onto his exhaust and then burst into flames, my friend was present and said they managed to push the car away from the pumps but not completely off the forecourt. A huge patch of tarmac had to be replaced. How much worse would that have been if spilled petrol had been involved?
Sanqhar

Post by Sanqhar »

I have no problem with getting off the bike. I have a problem with being asked to remove my flip front helmet and also a problem being asked to pay a motorway/bridge toll. In these cases I do as requested and just slow down, particularly when leaving the pump. Take your time putting your helmet back on, putting your gloves on, resetting the trip etc.

I have been asked to remove my flip front helmet in a Tesco supermarket.

Tom
... and today was a good day in the life of...
Bryn

Post by Bryn »

I wrote this a while back on the subject: https://www.adventurebikerider.com/the- ... illing-up/

Not everybody agrees with the policy, but rules is rules I guess!
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Sorry, all this is just nonsense.

There is a huge difference between fuelling on the side stand and upright in terms of how much fuel you can get in (applies to most bikes). If you get off the bike and fuel it on the stand, lots of people will push it upright anyway to get more fuel in, and in risk terms, the risk of the bike falling over the other way is greater than the risk of spilling fuel and it igniting if you sit on and fuel. The pumps have cut offs remember, and no one wants fuel on themselves.

Also, igniting on the TT pit is something else entirely. Huge heat from a race engine, massive requirement to fuel as fas as pos means more scope to spill, and race fuel which is nothing at all like pump fuel

The comment in the article about fuel expansion would be a fair one if we lived in a very hot country, but we don't, it's nonsense.

These "rules" are dreamt up by people who aren't riders and have nothing better to do. Compliance with HSE legislation is all about risk assessment, and this is not the result of a true risk assessment, its simply people thinking what if, which is not at all the same. It hasn't fully been thought through.

Ditto using phones and fuelling - there has never been a reported case of a spark from a phone causing a fire in a fuel station. Ever. and laughable anyway if you're fuelling with a car with diesel, it simply cannot ignite with a spark anyway, even if a phone did cause a spark.

The helmet removal thing is a pile of crap as well. People wear baseball caps all the time and fuel up from cars

Return to “ADVENTURE BIKE RIDER”