Autumn at the HISS: the Sierras of Teruel - the 'Official' Ride Report!

Where you've been and what you done
Simon_100

Re: Autumn at the HISS: Catalonia Pyrenees & Sierras of Teruel - the 'Official' Ride Report!

Post by Simon_100 »

SteveR wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote:
SteveR wrote:Pondering the Plan B options Will :-) Got to resolve the issue of a farm sitter, possibly my lad if he is handy, to help the better half!

Might be the Vara, as Teruel is a big old way ;-)
Shame the lad isn't enrolled in the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry whose barracks on the Copthorne road in Salop was deserted every harvest time ... :whistle:
Actually.... he has! At least the successors of the KSLI locally, which are 6 Rifles. (thumbs)

He first met some of "his" Platoon a couple of weeks ago, then went playing Soldiers in the Beacons and guess what? It rained.... :laugh: I told him to be glad it wasnt bloody snowing...

Inevitably there are some "farm boys" from North Shropshire in the complement!! :laugh:
Ha ha, So some things never change - only in Salop that is!

I didn't know anyone who joined the KSLI when I left school but years later had a pal - now RIP - who joined up instead of going down the pits. I guess he was a bit of a square peg as he go transferred from the Durhams to the KSLI - this would be in the mid-sixties - and couldn't believe the atmosphere, nor understand what anyone said - a mutual feeling ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
SteveR

Re: Autumn at the HISS: Catalonia Pyrenees & Sierras of Teruel - the 'Official' Ride Report!

Post by SteveR »

I guess he was a bit of a square peg as he go transferred from the Durhams to the KSLI - this would be in the mid-sixties - and couldn't believe the atmosphere, nor understand what anyone said - a mutual feeling ...
:laugh:
Last edited by SteveR on Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Simon_100

Re: Autumn at the HISS: the Sierras of Teruel - the 'Official' Ride Report!

Post by Simon_100 »

Well the is still a bit provisional as I have to double check some trails from the early surveys in Aragon that are still on my old Mac when I get to my study next week ...

... and every time I look at the Basecamp I'm seeing gas that I can fill from my surveys of 2016! :D

But, the provisional totals are - 1,294 kms which I've calculated as 802 miles of pure trails. :)

There is some overlap, perhaps 50 kms, where short sections of the 'old' Aragon trails coincide with the new ones around the summit peak of Javalambre and rather that redraw trails I've let them stand - in any event the 'new' trails run from east to west as they approach the summit, where the 'frontier' between the new and old trails roughly occurs whereas the 'old trails run west-east as they were designed to be approached from the old HQ to the west if the region - so it's easy to plot itineraries without using trails back-to-front - HISS 'Vets' will understand al about this.

Now for the view, which I'll improve with an image from my 24" monitor when I get home ...
Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 17.25.42.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 17.25.42.png (613.69 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
Note that the Red trails are suitable for big bikes and/or novice riders - some will need to be reclassified before the trails are finalised - while the Green trails are serious mojo* - big bikes can do them, but definitely not for and easy time of it ... :D :D :D

Most of these trails start from some of the best road riding, er, roads in Spain and the next phase is to mark these as routes on BC and include these for your edification, plus a few more road routes over a wider radius** ... I'll do this over the weekend and these will appear on the 24" screen shot! :)

Regs

Simon
* old Aragon hands will recognise 'Marbles, which I'd removed from the original Big Tread list ...
** FYI this map, hence the area of trails, covers approximately 120 x 80 kms (75 x 46.5 miles approx)
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

So, another milestone. The .gpx files are now out to the confirmed HISSites, including 950 odd kms of fantastic road routes around the region. Roll on September! :)

Regs

Simon

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Well, all the prep work is now done - just needs to be packed into the car ready for the off - and at least one HISSite is on the road - or rathe on the ferry as I write. Tally HO! :D :D :D

Regs

Simon
PS - and as far as it goes the weather forecast looks perfect!

WillS

Post by WillS »

The Spanish Biker wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:02 pm Well, all the prep work is now done - just needs to be packed into the car ready for the off - and at least one HISSite is on the road - or rathe on the ferry as I write. Tally HO! :D :D :D

Regs

Simon
PS - and as far as it goes the weather forecast looks perfect!
Looking forward to it Simon, and the weather looks great no rain mid 20's, great trails. What more could you want.
Oh and nearly forgot A very special BBQ on Thursday night Simon :roll: now that could make a good week great!!
This is going to be a very memorable Aragon HISS :D :D
See you Sunday.
Regards the Pyrenees Boys :lol:
JonnyBravo

Post by JonnyBravo »

Cant wait to head out on Friday. Bike packed and ready to go.
See you all Sunday.......

And looking forward to the big BBQ event Simon - have you alerted the media ????
:D
When nothing is going right - go left
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Thanks Will - they're talking about a dusting of snow on the Pyrenees on Sunday! :D
JonnyBravo wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:33 pm Cant wait to head out on Friday. Bike packed and ready to go.
See you all Sunday.......

And looking forward to the big BBQ event Simon - have you alerted the media ????
:D
Ha ha , Thanks Jonny - that'll be medium-rare perhaps! :)

Regs

Simon

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

In the event this thread got bumped back to the original 'Big Tread' report topic. Not that it matters and it0s well worth looking at WillS's great video :)

Regs

Simon

WillS

Post by WillS »

Thanks Simon.
Here is the video of the day to Javalambre. Fantasic trails and views up there, and the weather, see for yourself 8-)
Another great day on the HISS

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”