Autumn at the HISS: the Sierras of Teruel - the 'Official' Ride Report!

Where you've been and what you done
SteveR

Re: Autumn at the HISS: Catalonia Pyrenees & Sierras of Teruel - the 'Official' Ride Report!

Post by SteveR »

THanks for heads up Simon. I will respond by email :-) Sad news...
WillS

Re: Autumn at the HISS: Catalonia Pyrenees & Sierras of Teruel - the 'Official' Ride Report!

Post by WillS »

SteveR wrote:THanks for heads up Simon. I will respond by email :-) Sad news...
Come down to Teruel Aragon and join us Steve, you will have a great week :whistle:
A few of us are going down. Room in the van or on the trailer for a little one!! :woohoo:
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

whatch out for these hailstones - https://murciatoday.com/hailstones-the- ... #breadcrum - and have a great time.
Simon sorry to hear your thoughts but maybe something may be arranged to accommodate your efforts over the last years
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
WillS

Post by WillS »

Mickdb1 wrote:whatch out for these hailstones - https://murciatoday.com/hailstones-the- ... #breadcrum - and have a great time.
Bloody Hell, bet they did some damage.
We had smaller ones a couple years ago. 4€k damage to the roof and 3.5€k damage to the car, didn't claim on my old car, but that was a mess, dints all over the place!!
Frightening the force of nature!!
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Mickdb1 wrote:whatch out for these hailstones - https://murciatoday.com/hailstones-the- ... #breadcrum - and have a great time.
Simon sorry to hear your thoughts but maybe something may be arranged to accommodate your efforts over the last years
Yup, thise storms can be amazing - and Mora de Rubielos did indeed get the 'catastrophe' zone credit so lots of new monuments going up to spend the slush fund ...

Actually it's a beautiful village, genuinely one of the best in Spain and on a par with Albaracín. And, yes, some lovely HISS trails go there ... (thumbs)

Thanks for you good wishes Mick, Will and Steve, it is a bit sad about La Pobla but that's my fault for not deciding to do it from the outset. So keep your eyed peeled, and your diaries blocked out , for next year ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

The Spanish Biker wrote:@ WIBO. I saw a comment on one of the HISS posts about a Spanish friend of yours and could I translate the guide into Spanish for his/her.

Sorry, it's just not feasible, as it is the guides take about four weeks of spare time - at least! - and a proper translation would take about the same if done properly and not just Goggle. And in fact all s/he'd have to do is join another group and I'd help them decide their routes for the day in both Spanish and English, and s/he could always phone me if there is any problem while they are out there.

It's also worth pointing out that the social aspect is a very important part of the HISS 'magic' and I now from attending Spanish speaking events that it's an awful lot of hard work for everyone - and that with my relatively good Spanish, and indeed Catalan.

It's a generalisation I know but I guess that your friend would also like to enjoy the social sire but I think that with all the will in the world they'd begin to feel a bit on the sidelines, so to speak. Meanwhile I could ask a good Spanish friend along, who likewise doesn't speak English but manages OK, albeit for a little while - he came to a Catalonia HISS a few years ago when Spud - who doesn't speak any Spanish either but has visited enough foreign sea ports during his time in the Navy to communicate in a sort of 'esperanto' took him under his wing ...

My Spanish vocabulary doesn't extent to a very precise or subtle translation of the term -. e.g. 'tonto' just means 'fool' in Spanish, etc. so Spud and I have to illustrate with anecdotes what the term 'prat' really means in English - no shortage of example either: Do you remember the bloke who shut the Thames crossing for about four hours - the Blackwell tunnel back in my day - for about four hours with an oversize van? I loved the BBC Today quote from a spokeswoman form the AA describing the drivers as,2A complete and utter prat!" Oh how we laughed ...

Regs

Simon
I can ask for a beer in most "tongues" and can manage to barter with the local "Ladies" :whistle: and local opticians :kiss: ;) but for language skills they don't go much farther including my native tongue of "Inglish"

In the picture above I was lucky enough to get taken under the wing of 2 great blokes and was shown the ropes of taking a big bike "off road" that trip I was on my 955i Tiger.

Friendship translates many many cultures and tongues so no need to worry there, we even spoke to an Australian on one trip who managed to go back to nature and ended up behind the bar and was an extremely good "Barman" (thumbs)

If you are worried about not fitting in on a "HISS" trip don't, (no one "Fits in" so therefore "everyone does"), as you will meet a very diverse group from many different lands ;) and the talk usually works it way around to bikes :whistle: and occasionally food beer and around my tent "TEA!"

Go B) enjoy (thumbs) which reminds me I need to go back again soon

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Redmurty wrote:If you are worried about not fitting in on a "HISS" trip don't, (no one "Fits in" so therefore "everyone does"), as you will meet a very diverse group from many different lands ;) and the talk usually works it way around to bikes :whistle: and occasionally food beer and around my tent "TEA!"

Go B) enjoy (thumbs) which reminds me I need to go back again soon

cheers Spud ;)
Aptly spoken that man ...

At recent trip to Barcelona I bought 6 x 1.5 kg bags of loose PG Tips, for €6.95 a hit - bloody heavy load in the rucksack all the way back to the train station! - so lots of tea at our tent too ... (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

SteveR

Post by SteveR »

WillS wrote:
SteveR wrote:THanks for heads up Simon. I will respond by email :-) Sad news...
Come down to Teruel Aragon and join us Steve, you will have a great week :whistle:
A few of us are going down. Room in the van or on the trailer for a little one!! :woohoo:
Pondering the Plan B options Will :-) Got to resolve the issue of a farm sitter, possibly my lad if he is handy, to help the better half!

Might be the Vara, as Teruel is a big old way ;-)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

SteveR wrote:Pondering the Plan B options Will :-) Got to resolve the issue of a farm sitter, possibly my lad if he is handy, to help the better half!

Shame the lad isn't enrolled in the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry whose barracks on the Copthorne road in Salop was deserted every harvest time ... :whistle:

Regs

Simon

SteveR

Post by SteveR »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
SteveR wrote:Pondering the Plan B options Will :-) Got to resolve the issue of a farm sitter, possibly my lad if he is handy, to help the better half!

Shame the lad isn't enrolled in the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry whose barracks on the Copthorne road in Salop was deserted every harvest time ... :whistle:
Actually.... he has! At least the successors of the KSLI locally, which are 6 Rifles. (thumbs)

He first met some of "his" Platoon a couple of weeks ago, then went playing Soldiers in the Beacons and guess what? It rained.... :laugh: I told him to be glad it wasnt bloody snowing...

Inevitably there are some "farm boys" from North Shropshire in the complement!! :laugh:

Return to “RIDE REPORTS”