latest government plan to ban diesels

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
catcitrus

latest government plan to ban diesels

Post by catcitrus »

Just copied from the MCC newsweek--quite an interesting spin on relative emissions from different forms of transport:
" More about Diesels: (All facts given here are totally unverified) The current paranoia regarding the DIESEL concerns only motorists!!! Trucks, Coaches, Ships are excluded! Just to point out the degree of paranoia of the most virulent detractors of the DIESEL vehicle, it is necessary to reveal to them the data of the maritime industry which has demonstrated that, considering the size of the engines and the quality of the fuel used, the 15 largest Cargo ships pollute as much as the entire 760 million cars of the planet. These container ships that feed us with products that were manufactured in our offshore plants, today they each burn 10,000 tons of fuel for a round trip between Asia and Europe. These unfortunate 15 ships are part of a fleet of 3,500, to which must be added the 17,500 tankers which make up the whole of the 100,000 ships that crisscross the oceans. To avoid leaving the maritime domain, let us recall that the French yachting fleet is about 500,000 units, including 5,000 yachts over 60 meters in length. The average of these burns about 900 litres of fuel in just one hour, while the 24% of French households that heat with oil with fuel have difficulty to fill their tank for the winter. To continue on the path of paranoid schizophrenia, let us take into account the whole fleet and the 4.7 million heavy goods vehicles in transit across France, the thousands of planes that ply the sky and whose consumption per passenger per km travelled is 3 times more harmful to the climate than the automobile. (taken from a French original if you were puzzled by the bias and the slightly strange language)."
Andi_Archer

Re: latest government plan to ban diesels

Post by Andi_Archer »

Its my understanding after I was related something the other day that the supply Ships use a thicker "dirty" diesel fuel whilst out to sea and due to regulations a "cleaner" type when inshore.
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

Andi_Archer wrote:Its my understanding after I was related something the other day that the supply Ships use a thicker "dirty" diesel fuel whilst out to sea and due to regulations a "cleaner" type when inshore.
Yeah,I saw a TV programme about that the other week.There's massively more airborne pollution on the deck of a cruise ship than in Trafalgar Square!
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

yep if you really want to clean the world up we need to stop shipping so much and flying so much.
As I understand it you will still be able to buy petrol and diesel cars from 2040 they just need to be hybrids :whistle:
So when we eventually go all electric, how will the government replace lost fuel taxes on petrol and diesel ?
How much will it cost to have charging places put up and how many will need to be made available ? and are you really going to want to stop every 250 to 300 miles to recharge your car ? and what about bikes ? are we going all electric and will that mean the death of touring as we know it ?
How much mining and shipping of rare metals would need to take place to build all these new wonderful earth saving vehicle ? what will happen to knackered batteries ? and where we and how will be produce enough electrickery to be able to do all this charging ?
Will I need to take my helmet off whilst I charge my bike :whistle:
cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

Ships and aeroplanes tend not to spend their time chugging away at rush hour in towns and cities around kids or the elderly
AirbusPaul

Post by AirbusPaul »

Come 2040 they can do what they want :laugh:
paul_tim2000

Post by paul_tim2000 »

Until someone comes up with a credible plan for how all the people who live in houses without off road parking / designated private parking places, are going to be able to charge their vehicles then pure electric won't fly.
Think of all the streets with on road parking, how will the power get to the cars?
Is there the slightest chance that employers will install charging points in what are often leased parking spaces at the office?
I've looked at the issues for a few years whilst teaching about electrical technology and sustainability but I'm not aware of any, costed, proposals for how this will be implemented outside of the comfortable suburban environment where off road parking is possible.
Probably go the same way as rail electrification
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

Emperor Khan is allowing a dock to be altered/built in London to accomodat Cuise liners to come to "center of London" silly bugger may not realise they can pump out pollution at a rate of maybe 100000 times worse than cars
https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... gners-warn
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

We dont have enough spare electrical capacity to even charge a small increase in all electric vehicles.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Andi_Archer wrote:We dont have enough spare electrical capacity to even charge a small increase in all electric vehicles.
we just need to chuck up a couple of extra wind turbines and a odd couple of solar panels and we are good to go (thumbs) or perhaps the French and Chinese can build us a couple of extra nuclear plants (thumbs) :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “THE PUB”