Should police be allowed to chase motorcycles ?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
garyboy

Re: Should police be allowed to chase motorcycles ?

Post by garyboy »

I saw a set-up sting type video the other day .. lads had wired a parked push bike with exploding balloon thing. they hid and waited for the inevitable thief. as he rode off, on the bike, they pushed the remote and this balloon thing exploded loudly. :evil: the thief was quite surprised :whistle: hmmmmmm ? there are a few .. https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... f+surprise+
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:
Redmurty wrote:I think all the people calling for a more vigorous style of policing go join up and set to (thumbs) and keep us informed on how you get on

Petition your MP and call for something to be done (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)

Under Recruitment, my local police force says:

"Police Officer
We are currently closed for new registrations or applications."

I don't think they've taken any new police for some years
volunteer to be a special ?

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Mad Hatter

Post by Mad Hatter »

Redmurty wrote:I think all the people calling for a more vigorous style of policing go join up and set to (thumbs) and keep us informed on how you get on

Petition your MP and call for something to be done (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
If I could catch the guys who nicked either of my bikes I gladly would, but I wouldn't be on the force long.

It probably would be worth it though :(
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Just noted the latest statistic from last year--6 people shot dead by police, but 26 deaths in pursuits!--I think that answers it.
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

catcitrus wrote:Just noted the latest statistic from last year--6 people shot dead by police, but 26 deaths in pursuits!--I think that answers it.
they will investigate police pursuit training in an attempt to bring those numbers down, I didn't catch the number of people who died that were not involved in the chase pedestrians and the like. Perhaps people need to think how they would be feeling if it was one of their kin who had died and what the police officer would be feeling if they were the one's killing some innocent civilian.

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

To be fair, the 'innocent bystanders' issue is important. My Mum's car was once crashed into by the local drug dealer when he was being chased by the police...they knew who he was and where he lived, but the reason for chasing him was to get him before he could dispose of what was in the car.
Years ago I interviewed some of the traffic police from the Met: they had (for the day) high-performance Rover SD1 V8s and used to chase bad guys around in them.
One of them said to me that in a few years time they wouldn't need to do any of this...they were starting to use helicopters, had decent secure radios, and stingers and other such devices.
"We won't be chasing people any more: we'll just road-block them," he said.
Sadly, I think that strategy depends on having relatively large numbers of police resources available...and they just aren't there any more.
I wonder how many police could have been put on the force with the money wasted on the water canons?
KEITH640

Post by KEITH640 »

The technology must already exist to turn a car off or immobilise it by remote
It would be controversial for it to be installed at manufacture
Not sure if I would want in my car or bike and I suppose that everything has a way round it
But it's a thought
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

After the attack in Germany using a Polish-registered Scania truck, the operator reported being very concerned because they could see the truck was being driven in a strange way via its factory-installed telematics and the cab phone was not being answered. Theoretically, it would be possible to instal a remote 'kill' switch using the telematics.
Incidentally, the incident could have been worse, except the Scania's autonomous emergency braking kept stopping the truck as it hit things/people.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Just caught this rather sad set of circumstances:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-40763438

Return to “THE PUB”