Agent Orange

Re: Eagles nest Anyone been?

Post by Agent Orange »

Can't see the view must've been cloudy :whistle:
Pants missed the second photo lol :S
SilverSurferToo

Post by SilverSurferToo »

I was there last September as part of a tour of that part of Austria and; as others have said; if clear, the views are stunning. We stayed in a nearby town and took the bus in as it was hot. A day off the bike was also welcome.
Park the bike for the day and use public transport to get you there - and do carry your own food/water for the trek down (which is worth it for the other views too).
It is quite eerie though thinking about the conversations and planning that took place there. Very humbling.
Ali in Austria

Post by Ali in Austria »

OK, I appear to be in the minority.
While I agree the views are stunning on a clear day it is a bus ride up and you need to book your ride down when you arrive or risk a long wait. It is an ugly building which is just a restaurant. The original Lift is impressive but that is about it.
As for history surrounding it: It was presented to Adolf as a Birthday present. It was built to host visiting dignitaries and had no guest accommodation. Adolf only used it a couple of times and that is the sole reason it is still standing. He much preferred the Tea Rooms and even his own home down in the village which were all levelled after the war.
The only reference to the war is a small section in the museum in the bottom car park. There are much better mountain tops to visit but if you are up there then Roßfeldpanoramastraße is a must. (Featured in Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade).
BigRedUn

Post by BigRedUn »

The coach ride up is quite good, and the views are very nice, but it is packed in the summer.
RandG

Post by RandG »

RichardM wrote:Pick your day, it was wall to wall fog (cloud) when we went :(
Indeed, this was our view last week.

I should add, the place itself is actually a disappointment, it's a cafe and nowt much else, the views on a clear day spectacular though (I've been twice (thumbs) )
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

coyotedave wrote:The view, a couple of pictures.

image_2017-07-18.jpeg

Cheers Dave
put some wait on dave :laugh: :laugh:

steve
Tourider

Post by Tourider »

It's packed in the summer but it's shut in the winter.
hornet

Post by hornet »

By accident we passed it last year ,but didn't go in.To me it just feels all wrong.
Just how we felt
Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
the enthusiast

Post by the enthusiast »

We went a couple of years ago and thought it really good and well worth the visit.
As some said , Park it the main car park near to the visitor centre and bus station and take the bus up.
You can't take your bikes up to the Eagles nest. We had wurst and fries in the restaurant that used to be the conference room , then had a wander about. A good chunk of the place is private and some areas only accessed on the official tours.
The best bit is the visitor centre that tells the story of how Hitler bought a house there and after he became who he became the residents were forced out and he moved his party elite in as neighbours with underground complex on a vast scale constructed to act as 2nd seat of government. Supposed to be secret but we bombed the crap out of it all a few times ! After looking at the video show you can wander down to the underground bunker complex and although much cannot be accessed now as a lot was blown up by the yanks, its still impressive. You can imagine the scale ,it wasl self sufficient , Air purification plant, Electric plant. You can still see the fuel tanks and cradles where the two U boat engines generated elecy. All interesting stuff If you like that sort of stuff. I believe you get to see a bit more of this complex on the Official tours but can't say for sure.
Anyway , IMHO well worth a visit for half a day.
Cheers

Return to “TRAVEL”