Noob Bar Riser Query

The essential art of farkling.
Cone

Noob Bar Riser Query

Post by Cone »

So a bit of a nooby question here so i apologise first.

How do I know whether I need bar risers? I ride a lot offroad find my self bent at the knees and crouching a little forward, is this the right position? I'm not massively tall but the f800 is still quite a big bike!

I have seen lots of different kinds, I'm tempted for the cheap Chinese kit on ebay, but i do fall off every now and then and the big heavy beemer goes with a bang, would these hold up in a off, anyone have experience?

Before you say it, yes i know i should invest in a few days training but i'm learning the hard way! :woohoo:

I do intend to do it but finding time with two small kids and a bit of spare cash for a training day is hard! I wish the bloody missus would get a job! :blush:
Mike54

Re: Noob Bar Riser Query

Post by Mike54 »

Legs should be not locked but should be straight most of the time.

Go on a proper training course before you start buying things. David Knight at 6'4 doesn't use risers, in fact he uses a low bend of bar.
zimtim

Post by zimtim »

Watch this video I think he knows a thing or two about body position, Before you go buying bar risers, try rolling your handle bars either back or forward through the bar clamps.
knobblyneil

Post by knobblyneil »

Hi Cone
I`m 6`4 and had an 800 for 5 years which was 60% ridden off road, I convinced myself because I was tall i needed them, I found the longer bolts bent easily if i dropped it so got rid of them. On a course with guidance I found legs straight and the right body positioning did away for the need for them. I have`nt fitted them since just move around the bike more.

Neil
johnnyboxer

Noob Bar Riser Query

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mike54 wrote:Legs should be not locked but should be straight most of the time.

Go on a proper training course before you start buying things. David Knight at 6'4 doesn't use risers, in fact he uses a low bend of bar.
Good advice

I usually fit a higher bend of bars instead of risers

Risers - I feel they add a kind of vagueness to the steering and longer bolts can bend in a fall
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Cone

Post by Cone »

knobblyneil wrote:Hi Cone
I`m 6`4 and had an 800 for 5 years which was 60% ridden off road, I convinced myself because I was tall i needed them, I found the longer bolts bent easily if i dropped it so got rid of them. On a course with guidance I found legs straight and the right body positioning did away for the need for them. I have`nt fitted them since just move around the bike more.

Neil
Thanks that's good to know, I do intend to do a course one day! Just a question of when, i'm buying a new house at the moment so guess its struck of the list for a while!
Cone

Post by Cone »

Decided I need a set of risers. How much can I extend on the standard cabling and hoses?
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I'm 6ft tall but with only a 29 inside leg. This means I have a very long body. I need bar risers or my neck hurts when I stand up.
I used Rox risers on my 950..expensive but good. There are plenty of 20mm risers on eBay that are cheap to try and see if it helps.
MIKE
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
Cone

Post by Cone »

Yes but I don't want to be replacing hoses. I was looking for a bit of advice from others with f800s who have bar risers fitted whether they needed to fiddle or just pnp
anthony29040

Post by anthony29040 »

Cone wrote:Yes but I don't want to be replacing hoses. I was looking for a bit of advice from others with f800s who have bar risers fitted whether they needed to fiddle or just pnp
I fitted rox riser copys to my gs 800 and took them of no matter how I routed the hoses and cables they where to tight on lock to lock.they are a 50mm rise.you might get away with a 25 or 30 rise and also mine is a 2009 model might be longer hoses on yours ?

hope this helps tony.

Return to “ACCESSORIES”