fatal flaw or sour grapes

The Things We Ride
Richard Simpson Mark II

Re: fatal flaw or sour grapes

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

The Wind Deflectors were developed by BMW at the request of Ewan, who threatened to end the LWR trip after having to spend a night in a tent with Charlie.
djskinner

Post by djskinner »

Fatal flaw by the looks:
https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... ety-recall
I guess it's a good thing for me they've acknowledged the issue and are providing a fix before I embark upon the trans-pyrenees in September. Still, makes me more and more want to be doing it on a 500 EXC instead.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Apparently the BMW off road school have noticed the problem with heavy off road use but then that's how BMW advertise the bike :whistle: BMW have a way to reinforce the fork but shouldn't they have done that in the first place, oh I forgot BMW are perfect and never make a mistake :whistle:
petecam

Post by petecam »

So from what I can see the fork stanchion and top mount are crimped together? That doesn’t seem like good engineering on premier bike brand that is sold it as a go anywhere machine.
Why the hell is it not threaded ?
Failing that drill a hole in the side and pop a No8 self tapper in there (thumbs)
hotbulb

Post by hotbulb »

petecam wrote:So from what I can see the fork stanchion and top mount are crimped together? That doesn’t seem like good engineering on premier bike brand that is sold it as a go anywhere machine.

Why the hell is it not threaded ?
Probably because it saves about half-a-crown per machine sold.......profit is everything!
As long as it's cheap and quick to manufacture, and is just about capable of doing the job, it's OK - no margin for error, overload, or longevity any more :dry:
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

petecam wrote:Failing that drill a hole in the side and pop a No8 self tapper in there (thumbs)
Which would probably act as a stress raiser and cause it for those who don't bounce about on goat tracks?

All those years ago they probably thought it would be ok, an evolution of the R1100GS etc etc front tubes. Whether they should have been worried, or if they were, and buried it, is another matter.
adventure steele

Post by adventure steele »

after the disasters I had with my liquid cooled gsa one failure after the other great to see someones actually got a result on bringing them to task :) how they manage to keep the gearbox an FD an shock failures out of the press is beyond me.
Hopefully it will stop anyone else getting seriously hurt on one.
petecam

Post by petecam »

Oop North John wrote:
petecam wrote:Failing that drill a hole in the side and pop a No8 self tapper in there (thumbs)
Which would probably act as a stress raiser and cause it for those who don't bounce about on goat tracks?

All those years ago they probably thought it would be ok, an evolution of the R1100GS etc etc front tubes. Whether they should have been worried, or if they were, and buried it, is another matter.
Hope you realise I was jesting? Obviously I would glue it in with Evo stick :laugh:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

adventure steele wrote:how they manage to keep the gearbox an FD an shock failures out of the press is beyond me.
Money talks :whistle: and they have a huge advertising budget ;) something like £50,000,000 for the olympics in this country :blink:

Return to “BIKES”