Should police be allowed to chase motorcycles ?

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
Old Git Ray

Re: Should police be allowed to chase motorcycles ?

Post by Old Git Ray »

Gedge wrote:I spent 18 months under investigation accused of an assault that simply did not happen..they took 14 witness statements from supporters of the yob that I assisted ( off duty) to detain, but took for me to refuse to attend interview until they had taken a statement from my wife ...it never occurred to them to look for evidence to reject his story ...car chases that ended in crashes ( not me, them) often resulted in weeks removed from driving duties while they investigated..thankfully the worst outcome in any chase was 1 broken arm but he was lucky not to have been crushed to death...he was 15!!!! Imagine who they would have blamed had he died...
The IPCC have a lot to answer for.

I look forward to the complants about Police waiting in traffic queues with their blue lights on to come through. :whistle:

It would be great to see Police in interview blame the IPCC for their inaction.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

They just take their lid off and know the police won`t chase in case they come off, wouldn`t happen in America :whistle: next thing the powers that be will ban bikes in cities because of crime instead of catching the little gits :angry:
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

My mate used to regularly get followed /chased by one policeman in particular on his Kawasaki 750.
It was because my mate was 'seeing' the policeman's ex (a policewoman).
It got a bit out of hand: in the end my mate rocked up at the local police station with a solicitor in tow and there was a 'free and frank exchange of views'!
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

A chase of any kind in an urban environment is likely to end in tears--and innocent people get injured and killed. It is only perhaps justified when there has been a serious assault or armed robbery, but for all other cases its far too dangerous. I know thats not much comfort to those affected but we have to be patient as they will come unstuck sooner or later. The average police driver does not have advanced pursuit training--young, and with a normal licence--they cannot be expected to conduct a high speed pursuit safely. We are also suffering from lack of numbers on the streets which is an obvious deterrent in the first place. What we do have is rapid number recognition, and soon we will have high speed drones that can be deployed to track and film--and we can get at them when they stop and think that the coast is clear. I live in an old village with a necking street outside my door with a traffic priority situation. My biggest fear is the speed at which all of the emergency services use when going from A to B--far too fast and dangerous for the road situation--right by a school next door. They simply cannot see if it is clear at the speed they use, and soon there will be a bad accident--they seem to think flashing lights and a siren make them immune from sensible driving--they will make up only microseconds by driving like idiots--and again most of them are NOT trained.
ps my father in law was a police advanced driving instructor in North Wales (but Merseyside based). He retired to Wales--and I had the pleasure of watching (passenger) a skilled driver in action many times in "normal " conditions--a large percentage of people shouldn't be on the road IMO--and we need something like a 5 year repeat examination to make sure--not a full test, but basic safety and awareness. In my opinion only a VERY SMALL percentage of the driving population are capable of driving safely at real speed--and I don't really include myself in that category although I've been riding/driving for over 50 years , have a clean licence (just 3 points in all that time--but that's another "entrapment" story!) ,and maybe just the odd minor bump--and I used to race bikes, have done track days, the Ring 5 day course twice etc.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I've occasionally watched those 'Police, Camera' programmes, and something that does concern me is the scenario when a car is told to attend an accident on the motorway, and charges down the hardshoulder at 70 mph. Then when it arrives on the scene there are already a sizable number of police, ambulance etc in attendance.
What is the point of driving that fast, in those conditions?
scoobydidler

Should police be allowed to chase motorcycles ?

Post by scoobydidler »

Same old shit, the scrotes ARE untouchable, that's why then don't give a toss about the law.
Change the rules, plough them off the road at the first opportunity, they'll get get the message eventually. Not straight away because they aren't that sharp but they'll get it eventually.
Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
micksea

Post by micksea »

Gedge wrote:Until police officers are given proper legal protections against the consequences of the criminals crashing then NO...been there done it, and looking back, I was getting paid a relative pittance and was putting myself and families future in jeopardy just to catch a petty thief that was going to walk from court anyway...until the penalty for failing to stop matches that of the most serious crimes the police should just watch and use technology and intelligence to investigate the gangs ....

Society gets the kind of policing it deserves..years of liberalism and human rights has watered down their effectiveness...redress the balance and then the yobs would be fair game ...
This....if the vermin want to live in the wild west then shoot them off the scooters.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

the use of guns as self defense is one of the reasons I admire America .. you are allowed to defend yourself there, it seems .. unless of course you call the police in which case they shoot YOU.
I find it amusing, in this country .. the clamour for the return of proper policing .. where only a short time ago, it seems, the police were our worst enemy?
micksea

Post by micksea »

ANY damage or injury caused in a police chase should be attributed to the people being chased not the police and suitable charges should be added to the fuckwits case.until the public regain respect for the police things will only get worse.
yoda

Post by yoda »

A bit off topic from the thread title but with some of these acid attacks etc, for delivery riders,drivers and some of you guys commuting into cities it might be worth wearing a pair of wrap around safety/sun glasses under your visor, when you have the visor/flip front up at least you still have the chance of some eye protection, ok not always practical if wet and they can steam up when its cold. I tend to use some cycling safety glasses with interchangable lenses that are shatterproof, handy to have some eye cover when i run with the helmet front up at low speed, i also headbutted a pigeon a yr or so ago at 70mph that took my helmet visor and mech off, messy but no deris in my eyes though as had the glasses on as well.
Chaos is the only camouflage that incompetence needs to operate at full capacity.

I dunno where that road goes, might as well go take a look anyway there's no where else i need to be right now.

Return to “THE PUB”