What are big Adventure bikes for?

The Things We Ride
SteveW

Re: What are big Adventure bikes for?

Post by SteveW »

Cone wrote:I recently had a debate with myself on changing bike. I'm a bit of a novice but love riding off road and currently do so on my f800 and the bike has done everything and more than I ask of it. I couldn't put a name on a bike which would replace the 800

Although it always hits the ground hard and is a bitch to pick up. But could I get another bike to do what it does for me.? A recent trip down to east France to do a little off road fully loaded in comfort. Commuting 80 miles a day. And popping down local lanes and taking part in rallies when I can. I could never have done that on my zx10r which always asked to be ridden hard rather than chugging along having fun at a reasonable speed.

To summarise I love my f800 (at the moment) a perfect adventure bike for me.
If you only have one bike and like to mix up your riding like you describe a GS800 is very hard to beat, infact I'd say impossible to beat, good choice of bike.
I'm hard pushed to find fault with the GS800, but if I'm pushed hard enough.....it'd be that the engine is a bit coarse at 80-90mph.
Steve T

Post by Steve T »

"What are big Adventure bikes for?"

Riding, like every other bike

Simples (thumbs)

Steve T

B)
ZEN DOG

He knows not where he's going, for the ocean will decide
It's not the destination . . . . . . . it's the glory of the ride
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
PS looking again at the title I wonder what people mean by 'big'?
From a British resident point of view, I'd say "big" was a twin cylinder or above, over 700cc.
From your point of view Simon......because of your location I guess your X country could be classed as big.
I'm not really trying to label bikes and get all preachy about different bikes......"Hey dude just ride what you got"
It's just that I think us Brits can get a bit confused about these big "Adventure" bikes.
May be some folk feel a tiny bit guilty about not riding their GS1200 up the local gnarly green lanes, what I'm saying is don't feel you need to take 250Kgs of panzer up a flight of limestone rock steps following your mate on his Beta cross trainer....I certainly wouldn't (couldn't) do it.
But, I think I get it, I've travelled on roads that normal large touring motorcycles wouldn't be much fun on. The type of roads we just don't get in England.....mile after mile of pot holed tarmac.
Typically the crappy, potholed tarmac of Eastern Europe. These big "Adventure" bikes are great on these types of roads, you don't need any special skills, the bike does it all for you.
As a bonus, your big "Adventure" bike is also brilliant at lugging you, your loved one and the kitchen sink across 1000's of miles of normal roads and autobahns.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

The Spanish Biker wrote: I But none of these would have given the 1100 its legs whereas the X-Country just adapts to all conditions - sadly my meagre hams don't but I have a very high pain threshold ...

So that comes down to motorways - the last 40 kms back to TGN from l'Hospitalet are now a brand new 'Autovia', the A-7 and it was easily capable of whinging along at the permitted 120 kph plus the occasion burst in overtaking mode. The only trouble being the lack of a screen, any hints gladly received, and wearing my beaked adventure crash helmet so I got serious buffeting, not helped by my chronic neck and shoulder injuries, but that's my problem ...

Both of the "failings" on your XC could be easily solved as well Simon... Stick with it, just too low for me I found. ;)
boatman

Post by boatman »

I use the big ADV bikes (specifically BMW1200 ADV )for hauling 2 up over the long good tar bits (which any machine will do) then it will do the bad bits ,, Dalton highway Alaska,, Top of the world, over to the Yukon , miles of road works where there ain't any asphalt , just gravel / mud / rocks,/shit etc , also some of the frost heaves in the northern Americas would simply wreck normal road bikes at speed .
Recent camping overland in June to the Nordkapp was made much less difficult using the big dual sport bike as the season is short and this year was particularly bad for many many miles of road works.
If you never go off the tar there are probably more suitable machines
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

I often think folk need to get out to places like Romania, Ukraine, Bulgaria and the Balkans generally ....they'll understand what their GS1200 (etc...) was really made for.
Eh?, so basicly change your type of riding to suit the bike you have?
Is that not getting it all back-to-front?
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
Decco

Post by Decco »

Not really what I think he meant!
I see it as he means it will make you appreciate the versatility / broad spectrum of the bikes abilities.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

SteveR wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote: I But none of these would have given the 1100 its legs whereas the X-Country just adapts to all conditions - sadly my meagre hams don't but I have a very high pain threshold ...

So that comes down to motorways - the last 40 kms back to TGN from l'Hospitalet are now a brand new 'Autovia', the A-7 and it was easily capable of whinging along at the permitted 120 kph plus the occasion burst in overtaking mode. The only trouble being the lack of a screen, any hints gladly received, and wearing my beaked adventure crash helmet so I got serious buffeting, not helped by my chronic neck and shoulder injuries, but that's my problem ...

Both of the "failings" on your XC could be easily solved as well Simon... Stick with it, just too low for me I found. ;)
Might be cheaper and more fun to put on bit of weight! (thumbs)
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
threepot

Post by threepot »

Really gets on my 'tits',listening to you 'English' guys,and your obsession with German bikes!! I had a fantastic 200 ml ride out on my 'English' made Tiger today around mid Wales. 21 yrs old,73k miles,passed two 1200 GS's in the process. Pot holes?? Come and ride the roads I've been on today!
IMG_20170708_153710.jpg
IMG_20170708_153710.jpg (47.8 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

threepot wrote:Really gets on my 'tits',listening to you 'English' guys,and your obsession with German bikes!! I had a fantastic 200 ml ride out on my 'English' made Tiger today around mid Wales. 21 yrs old,73k miles,passed two 1200 GS's in the process. Pot holes?? Come and ride the roads I've been on today!
IMG_20170708_153710.jpg
Yes, I've had two Tigers myself, good versatile bikes.
I don't currently have a German bike....I've got, an Italian, an Austrian, a Portuguese, a British (English) and four Japanese bikes.
Your trip around Mid Wales sounds like good prep for the real stuff out in the Balkans, you should get out here sometime and bring your Tiger, it'd be grrrrrreat :laugh:

Return to “BIKES”