What are big Adventure bikes for?

The Things We Ride
SteveW

What are big Adventure bikes for?

Post by SteveW »

There's a great thread on here at the moment by Jim-500 showing his beautiful 250cc bike which he describes as his perfect Green Lane bike.
On that tread some folk seem to miss the point, and take an opportunity to stick the boot in and slag-off the bigger stuff like GS 1200's because they are too big and heavy for "off-road" use.
It's a British thing I guess, in the U.K. we've either got Tarmac roads or unpaved roads (Green Lanes) which can be quite challenging for larger bikes.
I'm in Bulgaria right now. Generally out in Eastern Europe if you get away from the main routes and use the smaller mountain or village to village roads you'll encounter 1000's of miles of pretty knackered tarmac with lots of potholes, they can look like they've been carpet bombed.
These roads are a pain in the arse to ride/drive on......unless you're riding a big Adventure bike. GS's and Big KTMs etc....these bikes float over broken tarmac and take potholes in their stride.
I often think folk need to get out to places like Romania, Ukraine, Bulgaria and the Balkans generally ....they'll understand what their GS1200 (etc...) was really made for.
They've got the power, comfort, fuel range and load capacity to deal with Western Europe's busy motorways and the ability to safely and easily take you on the road less travelled.
They're not "off-road" bikes they are versatile all-road's travel bikes.....and they're brilliant at that.
Nico-D

Re: What are big Adventure bikes for?

Post by Nico-D »

Yep, spot on. Maybe they should be re-branded "shitty road" bikes... :)

Don't own a big adv bike and not likely to any time soon but I can see their uses. Could be seriously tempted by a KTM 1190r adventure though if I had far too much money lying around..
Sideleaner

Post by Sideleaner »

Nico-D wrote:Yep, spot on. Maybe they should be re-branded "shitty road" bikes... :)
or "Belgian roads" bikes ! ;)
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

Great touring bikes but, whilst better than a fireblade on seriously potholed stuff, a 250 would be better still. Big GS's have good load carrying capacity and, if the modern ones were less complex they'd make good overland/RTW bikes but still a pig on unsurfaced or badly surfaced roads (African Motorways).
jim-500

Post by jim-500 »

My view would be there's no such thing as a do it all bike. I had an xr650r with the hope of it being somewhere between an enduro bike and a big ktm and while it was probably the best middle ground I've ridden it still sucked compared to a 990 on the road and was way too heavy, undersprung etc compared to an exc offroad - add some luggage etc and it was even worse. What we really need is a montesa on a trailer towed behind a 1290! (thumbs)
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Excellent for comfy upright touring with or without a pillion and any amount of luggage. Good rugged mile munchers.
RH_SCOTLAND

Post by RH_SCOTLAND »

Each to their own.
A 250 or 400 simply wouldn't do what I need from a bike.
My Super Tenere is comfy, can carry a shed load of gear for trips and a pillion, reliable.
Why do I need it? For the ten miles to work. For the 200 mile lazy Sunday run, for a 2000 mile week long trip.
I won't be riding anything other than gravel roads or farm tracks at worst. Shite rough surfaced single track roads are my prefered choice. The big S10 deals with them in comfort and effortlessly.
Horses for courses.
It's a bit like asking which is better links or square???? It's whatever you prefer.
Some people are alive simply because its illegal to kill them....
redbikejohn

Post by redbikejohn »

I recently put a gsxr110m back on the road and after my xt660z the roads are pretty bad here in the UK too! Used the xt again today and dare I say it ...... I prefer it to my gsxr (which I've had from new). Comfy, easy to ride, good view of the road, relaxed riding position etc etc so all the same reasons why big adventure bikes are popular. Cos guys coming off of sports bikes don't want to be riding 'touring' bikes and the stigma from years gone by. Even though we all just want to tour now lol instead of hammering up the bypass at 160mph.....
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
BIG BILL

Post by BIG BILL »

I am pushing 55
I have had over the years many Motorcycles since pasing my test in 1980
This Is an issue that has been mentioned many a time.
We are all different, man goes round world on a Yamaha R1
I have toured Europe on a XT12 S10, Triumph Tiger 955i, a mate was on a 2006 Fireblade and never complained once.
so the age old question..... what is an adventure bike????
I was once told on here... the bike you ride..
I get it but some on here don't
BB
Don't wait for your ship to come in, swim out and meet the Bl**dy thing ( Barry Sheene )
Your along time dead..
herman

Post by herman »

I see mine as a logical progression from the sports tourers that my aches and pains have made uncomfortable. Once you are off this crappy little island they make even more sense.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.

Return to “BIKES”