The mythical low maintenance trail bike.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
bowber

Re: The mythical lowmaintenance trail bike.

Post by bowber »

Yes, if a bike's used off road and in muddy conditions then you'll go through parts quickly, I've had a set of pads disappear in one afternoon at the extreme, however I've also had parts last for ages when it's not muddy. I don't tend to wash my bike every times it's been out so with the good weather we had I when out for 3-4 afternoon trail rides and haven't washed the bike once due to it only being a bit dusty, I did give it a quick hose off to remove some mud splashes but that was it.
Racing can go through a lot of parts, you end up with part worn pads and tyres which you think your going to use for trail riding or practice but never get round to using. Boxes of bearings changed just in case, cables kept as spares. The list goes on and eventually years after the bikes gone you keep finding them and wondering why you bothered keeping them!
Steve
Wonkyconk

Post by Wonkyconk »

ChasF wrote:I used to have a KTM 530 EXC, great bike but, apart from it being far more capable than its rider, the maintenance schedule always seemed to be backing up so I changed it for a 690 with its relatively long service interval. After 8 years and 25000 kms (less than 2k on tarmac) on the 690 it's become clear that the frequency of oil changes and valve checks is but a tiny part of trail bike maintenance. The 690 is currently on its 5th or sixth set of brake pad, 4th set of wheel bearings, 3rd rear disc, steering head bearings, rear suspnsion bearings and a clutch. Not to mention all the oil changes, valve checks and tyres.
Am I the only one who thinks that is really low maintenance considering the amount of off road miles?
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

I do actually like working on my bikes and keeping them in good order but with limited free time nd far too many bikes to keep going, workshop time has a serious impact on riding time. I've just worked out that this time round I've spent about 400 euros just on basic supplies and a seat cover. I'm also going to replace the plastics this time. I'll just have to be quick getting one of the other trail bikes up and running to avoid the temptation of getting the 690 muddy again.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Wonkyconk wrote:
ChasF wrote:I used to have a KTM 530 EXC, great bike but, apart from it being far more capable than its rider, the maintenance schedule always seemed to be backing up so I changed it for a 690 with its relatively long service interval. After 8 years and 25000 kms (less than 2k on tarmac) on the 690 it's become clear that the frequency of oil changes and valve checks is but a tiny part of trail bike maintenance. The 690 is currently on its 5th or sixth set of brake pad, 4th set of wheel bearings, 3rd rear disc, steering head bearings, rear suspnsion bearings and a clutch. Not to mention all the oil changes, valve checks and tyres.
Am I the only one who thinks that is really low maintenance considering the amount of off road miles?
Nope, at 23 Ks off road I would expect to be riding Triggers Broom
ChasF

Re: The mythical low maintenance trail bike.

Post by ChasF »

I'm not complaining, just looking to see if anyone has some labour or cost saving tips - other than not riding in mud or water and not pressure washing the bike. I used to take the wheel out of my xt350 after every ride to clean the rear drum brake, for example. I've also made some parts for the 690 and other bikes to try to improve the seal around the wheel bearing which have been an improvement but the grinding paste does eventually get in.
Seminole

Post by Seminole »

Wish I could Advise Chas, but I can't think of much you've not allready mentioned.
One thing I try to do is not put the bike away wet, though this is mostly of help to stop surface rust on stuff like fasteners
I use acf50, but have recently found this muc off protect and shine stuff, a fiver in wilko, it seems almost as good as acf50, just a little thinner.
One thing I swear by is regular oil and filter changes, I usually change oil at half the reccomended interval, I don't buy brands just go by the API spec and weight
qcnr

Post by qcnr »

Fewer bikes... :huh:
ChasF

Post by ChasF »

qcnr wrote:Fewer bikes... :huh:
Yes that's the reality of it.

At the moment I delude myself that I am keeping up with all the maintenance, which I'm not. If all the bikes were fully ready to go all the time I'd have no time left to ride any of them - if that makes any sense.

I am selling off some of them but they all need work to get them into the condition I would like them to be before selling them on.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Definitely not the CCM GP450 just the cleaning that the factory seems to consider necessary to maintain the warranty takes hours. I think the trick is to buy something older like a Serow or a TTR250.
Cheers Jak
jonny955

Post by jonny955 »

Jak* wrote:Definitely not the CCM GP450 just the cleaning that the factory seems to consider necessary to maintain the warranty takes hours. I think the trick is to buy something older like a Serow or a TTR250.
Cheers Jak
Why would a Serow or a TTR250 need any less cleaning after a muddy trail ride?

I agree with the comments on maintenance vs number of bikes. It helps if you can collect bikes which share the same service parts, though :)

Jon

Return to “TECHNICAL”