There's a moose loose.

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Mike101

There's a moose loose.

Post by Mike101 »

Well not quite..but.
Thinking of getting mooses for my new toy.
No idea how to fit them...no idea of the limitations...do I also have a tube fitted?
It's a CCM 404....no more than 70 on motorways and not really hard use.
All advise welcome please.
Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts
giles

Re: There's a moose loose.

Post by giles »

They will soon be pooped if your road using all the time,
Not road legal,but only if your caught or have an accident and pc plod takes a close look at the bike.
Need to keep them lubed all the time,
Beta

Post by Beta »

Have a look at nutech tubliss system,again not road legal but a good alternative.
herman

Post by herman »

don't, put hd tubes in.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Mike101 wrote:Well not quite..but.

Thinking of getting mooses for my new toy.

No idea how to fit them...no idea of the limitations...do I also have a tube fitted?

It's a CCM 404....no more than 70 on motorways and not really hard use.

All advise welcome please.

Mike
As stated, IMO put Heavy Duty tubes in instead.

'Bib' or 'mousse' here are expensive ( €120 upwards )and will indeed be unsuitable for lots of road work.....you're running at 'low pressure' all of the time when it comes to braking and cornering. Not that mx tyres will be that great anyway.

Unless you're riding in a higher level enduro position I don't think they're worth it. It's easier to put more pressure in your tyres come rocky angle stuff.

( league d'aquitaine enduro circuit covers all sorts of terrain and I have only ever had one puncture to date, running on HD tubes, and that was on a Sunday practice rocky mountain ride out locally )

Save your money for tyres?....you can buy probably two for the price of a mousse ?

They're also a pain to change out...you'll need an array of tyre levers.

Of course it's your call and it'll not do you any harm to experiment as you wish.

:)
Will It Buff Out?
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

I ran mousses in my 250 exc-f for 2 years or more without incident but as the other boys have stressed, very limited road work because I lived 10 mins from the Breconshire National Park.
They are a barsteward to fit, :pinch: ( although you will find vids on youtube where it,s done in 2 minutes) you need to be an Octopus or have at least another mate helping you, they need loads of lube and to be re-lubed regularly. I rigged up an adaptor from a spray gun to inject the stuff through the redundant schraeder valve as removing the tyre became such a pita. But I had 2 years of no punctures, tyre life seemed to increase, probably because the pressure was constant.
One final note, If you do go that route make sure you select a mousse suitable for the tyre you have chosen, the fit is critical. (thumbs)
Sarge
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

You will need new upgraded srings for.suspension first as the std is rated at 80kg lol...
BlueUK

Post by BlueUK »

If doing single day rides of technical lanes where time is of essence due to the loop duration then I'd run mousses but I don't do much road work, certainly not motorway boring rides.
If multi day and time can be taken to repair punctures then run tubes.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I know people who do run tyre mousses on the road: they are OK at low speeds.
But I wouldn't do it myself. The manufacturers are quite clear they are illegal for road use, and being caught is a penalty-points offence (x2 if you are running 2) which will inflate your car and bike insurance premiums for years to come.
Most punctures can be avoided by paying careful attention to the internal condition of the wheel and rim tape (spokes are often what actually punctures the tube), running good quality tubes from a premium European manufacturer (HD as recommended by TT if you can find them) and paying careful attention to tyre pressures. Hit a rock hard with 4 psi in your front tyre, and it won't end well.
Some people swear by one of the various 'puncture proof' liquids: Slime etc.
OB1

Post by OB1 »

When I worked for Maxxis tyres, we used to stock WinX Mousses for the race teams that we sponsored.

IIRC the advise was that mousses should not be used in a road tyre due to the prolonged heat generated compared to competition. The heat would, according to the manufacturer, cause the mousse to disintegrate.

This is on the Adventure Spec website:
3. Mousses are not road legal. They're designed for off-road competition use only. If you do end up riding on asphalt for any reason and distance, keep speeds moderate (max approx 60mph/100kmh) or your mousses will disintegrate quickly. Adventure riders have used mousses on off-road tours, but this is NOT the norm and unless your tour contains less than a couple of hundred miles of asphalt dont even think about it, heavy duty tubes are much more forgiving.
Also, there may be a weight issue on larger bikes:
4. Goldentyre mousses are designed for lighter machines such as enduro bikes and modern single cylinder rally bikes. Running mousses on heavier bikes is not recommended (even Desert mousses).
A • AND • B • CDN • CH • CN • CY • CYM • CZ • D • DK • E • EST • ET • F • FIN • GR • HK • HR • I • IL • IRL • L • LT • LV • M • N • N-IRL • NL • P • PL • Q • RSM • S • SCO • SCV • SLO • TR • USA • YU
justrtw.com

Return to “TECHNICAL”