Tyre recommendations for KTM 1190 Adv on road only

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
Asterix41

Post by Asterix41 »

Owned a KTM 1190 from new (2014 model) and proudly, or perhaps frighteningly realised that I have done just under 11,000 miles on the first set of tyres. Principally all motorway miles and sadly only ever when dry. Round commute is 100 miles. So I def need to get some new ones as thankfully future miles will soon be on proper roads with corners but will never be off road. Any tyre recommendations from people who have ridden with full on road tyres appreciated. Many thanks
ledwardio

Re: Tyre recommendations for KTM 1190 Adv on road only

Post by ledwardio »

I also got great mileage out of the original Trail Attack 2s - I changed them at just over 9k miles but reckon they would have been fine for another 1,000. They were a good tyre but didn't half make the handlebars shake.
I put Pilot Road 4 Trails on as I've used these on other bikes and have always been pleased with them, but I'm not sure they are quite giving me the level of confidence that I expected. This is probably just down to me and my head as plenty of others use them without complaint on the 1190.
I've got about 4k miles on the PR4s now and they are starting to square so I don't expect to get the same mileage out of them as the TA2s.
As a note, when you get your tyres changed make sure that they are careful as the seal that is inside the spokes is easily disturbed - it was on my rear wheel and I had to get it into a KTM dealer to get replaced (cost covered by the tyre fitter).
Asterix41

Post by Asterix41 »

Thanks, yes have also been advised that you need a KTM dealer to fit these because of the pressure sensors. I've completely taken this set for granted and had forgot they were bike tyres not car tyres, but it was dull motorway miles. Best value tyres I have ever owned
JJay51

Post by JJay51 »

Put another set of the conti's on if they didnt give you any grief, they're a good tyre.
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

I'm a bit of a fan boy for Mitchelin Pilot Sports too but my KTM 1190 came with Metzeler Tourance's fitted. They were going to be the first thing I was going to change to my preferred choice of tyre but I can't find anything wrong with them at all. On my own treating it like a sports bike or two up fully loaded they just work, very predictable even in the wet and wearing well too.
Tim B KTM

Post by Tim B KTM »

I liked the Conti TKC70s I had on my 2015 BMW GSA
ScottHeyden

Post by ScottHeyden »

Just had my rear Conti replaced with a Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 ready for a trip into Europe next month, it came highly recommended.
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Just put another pair of Conti TA2's on my GSA
£215 for the pair fitted to loose wheels
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Asterix41

Post by Asterix41 »

Thanks all, local dealer favours like for like replacement also,
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
interceptor

Post by interceptor »

I have a 2016 1190 adv and the original Conti Trail Attack rear is coming to re-tyrement age (sic) too. I'm either fitting another of the same or changing both hoops to Michelin Anakee IIIs which are now fitted as standard on new GS's.

Return to “TECHNICAL”