Fitting a zumo 590lm

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
catcitrus

Re: Fitting a zumo 590lm

Post by catcitrus »

Whats wrong with a permanently live(and fused) connection to the cradle--mine's not a Zumo but a Montana, and if the external power supply is lost it will automatically shut down unless you notice and press "stay connected". I find that if I'm stopped and looking at OS detail, or reprogramming/searching then having it stay on is a definite advantage. Its always fully charged so if you want to go on foot it will last for quite a while. I just blank off all the other wires and leave just the 12v supply and earth .
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

catcitrus wrote:Whats wrong with a permanently live(and fused) connection to the cradle--mine's not a Zumo but a Montana, and if the external power supply is lost it will automatically shut down unless you notice and press "stay connected". I find that if I'm stopped and looking at OS detail, or reprogramming/searching then having it stay on is a definite advantage. Its always fully charged so if you want to go on foot it will last for quite a while. I just blank off all the other wires and leave just the 12v supply and earth .
I haven`t had a problem but know of others who have, cradle should be dead but I think transfomer (not an electrician!) that converts 12v to 5v has a very small drain that over time (weeks) can drain battery.
Supplying dealer of my S10 wired it permanently and I got it changed to switched live, now my 350lm goes into standby when I turn off ignition and comes straight on when I start up again whereas before it stayed on but the screen dimmed :unsure:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Nigel wrote:
catcitrus wrote:Whats wrong with a permanently live(and fused) connection to the cradle--mine's not a Zumo but a Montana, and if the external power supply is lost it will automatically shut down unless you notice and press "stay connected". I find that if I'm stopped and looking at OS detail, or reprogramming/searching then having it stay on is a definite advantage. Its always fully charged so if you want to go on foot it will last for quite a while. I just blank off all the other wires and leave just the 12v supply and earth .
I haven`t had a problem but know of others who have, cradle should be dead but I think transfomer (not an electrician!) that converts 12v to 5v has a very small drain that over time (weeks) can drain battery.
Supplying dealer of my S10 wired it permanently and I got it changed to switched live, now my 350lm goes into standby when I turn off ignition and comes straight on when I start up again whereas before it stayed on but the screen dimmed :unsure:
PS dealer who wired sat nav correctly did it to the cigarette lighter socket so that aux position (P light)on ignition switch turns it on so you can still charge sat nav. On S10 the P light position doesn`t put on parking light just enables hazards and lighter socket :side:
IainD

Post by IainD »

wispyone wrote:
Apophis wrote:You can get the lead from Bmw cheaper that getting from nippy normans
Then just supply a relay as already said in a previous post and supply the coil of the relay with the lead

Then just supply the relay direct from the battery and the relay will be switched 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off and the loss of power to the sat nav will auto turn off
Am i correct in thinking that if I connect just through can bus with a lead from bmw or nippy Norman's then it will power down after 60 seconds without a relay?

As you can see wiring baffles the hell out of me
Nope, what will happen is that the Zumo will fool the CANbus into keeping the power on and the battery runs down. I know, it happened to me, hence the relay.

The socket below the dummy tank is (I have been told) for a second power outlet, apparently you can see the outline on the underside of the cover. This can be used for a controlling +ve.

I can send you a connector for the loom socket if you want, FOC, it is sitting in the garage in a tin and has been for a few years, I saw it the other day.
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

Beat me to it on the relay I put a double pole on mine for further expantion it is worth doing for the sake of 7 quid or so I put USB outlets under the seat from the relay as well you can get USB outlets from eBay for £2.75
Every day is an adventure
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Only repeating the comments on NN website, don`t shoot the messenger :side: , btw I was told accessory socket should power down after ignition is turned off so battery charger wouldn`t work BUT I had also been told sat nav on some bikes would make it stay live if plugged into that socket :side:
Having owned two BMW`s I came to the conclusion that Can Bus is a PITA :laugh:
"The lead then just plugs straight into the plug provided by BMW near the headstock of the bike. You then have a GPS that works via the ignition"
"Does what it says on the tin. Power switched by ignition"
" This plug remains powered for several minutes after turning the main switch off"
"You then have a GPS that works via the ignition"
"Earlier I had my gps connected strait to the battery. So when I forgot to turn it of it drained my battery. Now when it is connected to the can-bus plug it is not an issue. Recomended :-)"
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

wispyone wrote:They definitely give you enough cable. I think there is an audio in, audio out, mic connector and USB charger. Will route most around under seat and cable tie in place, just not sure about USB cable
They sure do!! I can get you a photo of how I've run my cables but it won't be until Friday morning.
wispyone

Post by wispyone »

Ok, along with a bit of head scratching and searching the bike the only switch i can find (as described near the headstock) is the one pictured on top on the battery - is this the spare canbus ? and is this to be used for the second 'blank' socket on the dummy tank?

If so where do i tap in for the satnav?

As previously stated wiring baffles the hell out of me :(
Attachments
CANBUS.gif
CANBUS.gif (273.99 KiB) Viewed 2555 times
wispyone

Post by wispyone »

Emf#53 wrote:
wispyone wrote:They definitely give you enough cable. I think there is an audio in, audio out, mic connector and USB charger. Will route most around under seat and cable tie in place, just not sure about USB cable
They sure do!! I can get you a photo of how I've run my cables but it won't be until Friday morning.

Thank you, that would be appreciated
Emf#53

Post by Emf#53 »

wispyone wrote:
Emf#53 wrote:

Thank you, that would be appreciated
IMG_0776.JPG
IMG_0776.JPG (38.75 KiB) Viewed 2555 times
The cable comes from the front of the bike into the underseat area next to the fuel pipe and then winds all the way round.

It's been like this since I bought the unit last year and it's been fine.

Hope it helps.

Return to “TECHNICAL”