Fitting a zumo 590lm

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
wispyone

Fitting a zumo 590lm

Post by wispyone »

Ok ok I know this has probably been done to death but spent an hour searching and still no wiser. I have just bought a zumo 590lm to put on my 2013 F800gs. Looking at all the wires it looks like it wires straight to the battery, is this the best solution or do I wire into the can bus system? If so how easy is it?
Also the 590 has a USB charger, where do people route this to? Leave under seat or route up around the bars for charging items in tank bag etc?
Thank you
Richard
Emf#53

Re: Fitting a zumo 590lm

Post by Emf#53 »

I wired my 595 straight to the battery
Not sure about the USB charger though - don't remember having one on mine - unless it was with all,the other cables that I just left under the seat.
wispyone

Post by wispyone »

They definitely give you enough cable. I think there is an audio in, audio out, mic connector and USB charger. Will route most around under seat and cable tie in place, just not sure about USB cable
IainD

Post by IainD »

Hi,
Use a supply direct from the battery through a relay with the control + tapped into a switched +.
Whatever you do, don't use the spare socket under the tank to supply the unit as the CANbus system gets confused and if the unit is left on the bike, a power draw drains the battery.
Something like a fuzeblock has a relay built in.
boatman

Post by boatman »

Dunno about the 800 but the 1200,s have a plug up under the dash that is provided for GPS ,just needs the correct flying lead to connect it
wispyone

Post by wispyone »

boatman wrote:Dunno about the 800 but the 1200,s have a plug up under the dash that is provided for GPS ,just needs the correct flying lead to connect it
Is this the can bus connection?

Will have a look this afternoon see if I can find it
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

wispyone wrote:
boatman wrote:Dunno about the 800 but the 1200,s have a plug up under the dash that is provided for GPS ,just needs the correct flying lead to connect it
Is this the can bus connection?

Will have a look this afternoon see if I can find it
Click here
Apophis

Post by Apophis »

You can get the lead from Bmw cheaper that getting from nippy normans
Then just supply a relay as already said in a previous post and supply the coil of the relay with the lead
Then just supply the relay direct from the battery and the relay will be switched 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off and the loss of power to the sat nav will auto turn off
Every day is an adventure
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Apophis wrote:You can get the lead from Bmw cheaper that getting from nippy normans
Then just supply a relay as already said in a previous post and supply the coil of the relay with the lead

Then just supply the relay direct from the battery and the relay will be switched 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off and the loss of power to the sat nav will auto turn off
True you just need the part number for BM dealer, I put in the link to explain how it fits, always fit lead to switched supply or you can get a ghost drain from sat nav cradle which can flatten the battery over time.
wispyone

Post by wispyone »

Apophis wrote:You can get the lead from Bmw cheaper that getting from nippy normans

Am i correct in thinking that if I connect just through can bus with a lead from bmw or nippy Norman's then it will power down after 60 seconds without a relay?

As you can see wiring baffles the hell out of me

Return to “TECHNICAL”