Update 2 KTM 690 Engine Problems, anyone fancy a guess? NOW SORTED

Got a spanner in the works? Post your motorcycle problems here.
92kk k100lt 193214

Re: KTM 690 Engine Problems, anyone fancy a guess?

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

I had a 6 year old car snap a timing belt and ruin the engine in 2001. 91,000 miles. Belt replaced at 72,000 miles
Dealer collected the car, offered a replacement, 2 weeks later the car was back on the road, completely rebuilt engine, new head, camshaft, valves, pistons, all the timing stuff, water pump etc etc. apologetic dealer handing me the keys at no cost to me. The entire process was totally painless and the dealer was completely up front.

Still have that same car, it's now been 16 years and its over 170,000 miles and the engine is sweeter than ever.
Good service can and does exist and if done right then it's worth it.
There is cheap service and good service.
I had another car and it gave a lot of grief that went legal and I only got it sorted because there was a decent main dealer who was not the cause of the problem in the mix.
As for broken oil control ring, done enough engines it know it can happen and you don't always know immediately. That problem was there from early on and extremely likely a manufacturing issue.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Decco

Post by Decco »

QUICK UPDATE:
I've been to the dealers today and taken a look at the engine, including the ruined piston rings and cylinder, the ruined parts are not as severe as it first sounded but they are Buggered, the first repair was very bad.
I asked the dealer to check the bottom end too, they did so and when I got there it was stripped down and no damage to be seen, so having visually inspected myself I'm happy , it's never stopped oiling the engine or run dry. oil pumps are perfect.
Regards to extending the engine warranty, that is going ahead too, there is no problem there, details to be confirmed plus what compensation they are gong to offer.
I must admit it was quite refreshing being invited to look the engine over and the dealer being so responsive, Having seen the bike today, met the guys fixing it and looking at the professional way they are working, cleanliness, parts management etc ,it all looks good.
Provided the bike runs sweet when I get it back shortly, I'll have nothing but praise for this dealers after service.
Decco

Post by Decco »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:I had a 6 year old car snap a timing belt and ruin the engine in 2001. 91,000 miles. Belt replaced at 72,000 miles

Dealer collected the car, offered a replacement, 2 weeks later the car was back on the road, completely rebuilt engine, new head, camshaft, valves, pistons, all the timing stuff, water pump etc etc. apologetic dealer handing me the keys at no cost to me. The entire process was totally painless and the dealer was completely up front.

Still have that same car, it's now been 16 years and its over 170,000 miles and the engine is sweeter than ever.

Good service can and does exist and if done right then it's worth it.

There is cheap service and good service.

I had another car and it gave a lot of grief that went legal and I only got it sorted because there was a decent main dealer who was not the cause of the problem in the mix.

As for broken oil control ring, done enough engines it know it can happen and you don't always know immediately. That problem was there from early on and extremely likely a manufacturing issue.
Thats a story I enjoyed reading!

I think the group think of just reject it can sometimes be wrong , but the right to reject is also a fantastic one for the consumer.

I'm happy with a good quality repair, if I was the technician building my engine back up , given its history , I'd be making sure it was a quality repair. obviously going to be better than the production worker building it. Well hopefully
Mike54

Re: Updated KTM 690 Engine Problems, anyone fancy a guess?

Post by Mike54 »

You're not entitled to "compensation", in fact with the new parts you're actually in a position if "betterment", technically
bowber

Post by bowber »

Sounds like your getting some where and know what you're doing so it'll be interesting to hear the end result.
Just shows how modern oils can burn relatively cleanly when you didn't notice smoke from the exhaust.
Steve
DG

Post by DG »

Good informative thread. I like your methodical way of approach, but having said that I guess your a top tech who's good at your job. Hope you get the outcome you're wishing for pal.
Running Yorkshire Marathon (AGAIN!) for the National Brain Appeal Please visit my page. Thank you. https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/gavin-pickup1
Decco

Post by Decco »

Mike54 wrote:You're not entitled to "compensation", in fact with the new parts you're actually in a position if "betterment", technically
Yes I understand there is no right to 'compensation' but I still have the right to reject or a right to a reduction in price.

I use that word as the dealer has already told me that KTM are going to be offering 'compensation' for the issue.
At week 2 of no bike he told me the normal was £300 in power parts vouchers, I'd like to think they will be offering a few more £££'s in vouchers considering it will probably be 7 weeks by the time I get the bike back.

As for 'betterment' ! Replacing a knackered part that was broken during manufacture or repair for a new part does not constitute betterment.

To be honest there's not much in the power parts catalogue that would add to this bike, but I'm sure I'll make use of whatever they offer.

I'l keep you posted outcome cant be far away.

edit: Just remembered , whilst researching these engines and their oil usage, I came across a video on youtube from a european poster, he had the same problem of a broken oil scraper ring, similar mileage 1000 miles. He says he spoke to the KTM Tech at the time and apparently they were having issues with a batch of pistons that were slightly oval. Just wanted to add this to the post for any future researchers. I must add I have found no other evidence of this online, but it may explain why the first repairing dealer had changed the piston after telling me it was 'perfect' maybe its something KTM are trying to keep quiet.
rlkat

Post by rlkat »

Mike54 wrote:You're not entitled to "compensation", in fact with the new parts you're actually in a position if "betterment", technically
Hardly 'betterment' when you consider the costs involved of driving to the dealer, the phone calls, the emailing and the overall hassle that's been involved.
I've no idea how to add a signature.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

rlkat wrote:
Hardly 'betterment' when you consider the costs involved of driving to the dealer, the phone calls, the emailing and the overall hassle that's been involved.
I hear you, but a court wouldnt put a value on emails and phone calls.
Decco

Post by Decco »

Mike54 wrote:
rlkat wrote:
I hear you, but a court wouldnt put a value on emails and phone calls.
Guys, no need to sweat the small stuff.

If I referred the matter to legal council or court then emails and phone calls may equal money in the eyes of the courts.

This probably won't happen. This is exactly why the consumer rights act was introduced. IMHO so these situations are rectified outside of court.

I mean seriously, lets not turn what could be quite an informative thread for future 690 owners into a novel of what if's etc , I've read far too many of them for my liking.

Many thanks for the input though, I truly do appreciate it

Return to “TECHNICAL”