Bit careless.

Anything goes, and mine's a Guinness.
daveuprite

Re: Bit careless.

Post by daveuprite »

Yet another example of police riders with a massively heightened opinion of their own abilities, getting it all enormously wrong. People who have received extensive training have the psychological weakness that they believe that their training lends them an innate advantage, lent to them by the authority of the training itself. You see it all the time. There is none so 'wise' as he who has been recently trained.
The police use TV programs all the time, often narrated by sycophantic and gullible presenters, to persuade the public that they are god's gift to motorcycling, or horsemanship, or marksmanship, or dog training (etc etc etc) - when really you are often just looking at someone who has been on a few courses but in most ways is not much more savvy then the majority of us when it comes to a crisis. It's just the fact of the training that gives them the self-confidence to assert their abilities, which are frequently disproved by real events.
Same goes for many of the 'Advanced Motorist' people who, like those who join MENSA, treat it all as a certificate waving exercise, while the rest of us just get on with riding as best we can.
simonw

Post by simonw »

sprintster wrote:...Someone travelling down lane 3 isn't going to be paying much attention to a slip road...
I always watch the slip road (car and bike), especially in traffic like that, mostly in case anyone in lanes 1 & 2 move to their right to let people in (sometimes without checking it's safe to move over!).
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Just remind me again what the official thinking /braking distance is at 70 ( or even 50) mph. How does the car have anywhere to go. .
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

There is none so "wise" as he who has been recently trained.
Beautiful, positively Shakespearean.
Mike Wright

Post by Mike Wright »

If you have to make someone else brake or take evasive action then in my eyes you arent riding well. Easy to judge looking at the video and not seeing the whole scene but he still put himself in danager and its a reminder. Glad it ended as it did with no accident. Half the time these days people are still looking down at the mobile texting etc or reading Facebook!
Even with the increased penalty I saw at least 10 people on the phone just riding 100 miles on the M5
IainD

Post by IainD »

M8 at Govan, Helen Street (24) Junction.
Helen Street has Police Roads unit, workshops and a Communications Building, not to mention Govan Police Station just round the corner. Most likely the Police were from one of their facilities and should know the road well.
The motorway goes from 3 lanes down to 2 shortly after with the M74 / M77 / City South slip and although this is a 50mph zone, there are lots of lane changes going on which makes this a very bad place to pull off that type of maneuver. Drivers' attention is split between vehicles on / off, newly reduced speed limit and gantry signs. This one one part of the road I don't filter on as it is just too dangerous in the morning rush hour.
The bike, was showing blue lights, but did not give any indication or show intentions or give way to the outside lane (blue lights mean nothing in terms of the law, they are warnings lights and nothing else). I would have expected him to pull into lane 2, let the cam car go past then pull in behind, or use lane 2 to undercut the cam car, then pull out in front.
I suspect it was a mistake caused by a bit of an adrenaline rush, being the lead vehicle.
The question to me is, why should a load of Police vehicles be allowed to bully their way onto a road when clearly later (at the Kingston Bridge) they can be seen to be just going somewhere and not going to any sort of Emergency? If you or I did that we would be up in front and trying to explain. In law they have no right.
So, simple mistake, but he/she should never have been doing that maneuver in the first place.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

And there is none so despised as poets that know it.
gooseneck

Post by gooseneck »

The bike cop got it wrong, too pushy , and created a dangerous situation.They are not trained to put the responsibility of avoiding an accident created by themselves into another drivers hands.
This cop forced a situation, and was lucky no one got hurt imo.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

It makes no odds whatsoever how bad the dashcam drivers reactions were, it's the coppers job to execute safely, and he should know only too well doing that job that you can't rely on the other driver.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

So if the copper got swiped off his bike, it was the car drivers fault was it. Bollocks. The copper was riding like a novice rider and expecting everybody else on the road to avoid him because he was a copper riding a marked bike with a light on top. This bloke needs to go back for further training, hopefully including better anticipation and awareness of other road users.
How long would any of us last if we all rode in the same way?

Return to “THE PUB”